PDA

View Full Version : A bunch of thoughts and questions

Kain
11-07-2002, 02:54 PM
While the board was down, I had some time to just think and had some interesting thoughts. I'll share them and see what sort of feed back people have:

1. The Ignition. The Galant has a very odd ignition system, utilizing a distributor, but no coil. It seems to me this would give a rather weak spark compared to other methods. So, I contacted MSD and asked them if perhaps their SCI ignition, used on Hondas with a similar ignition setup, could be used. However, according to the response they gave me the Galant has a "transistorized/coil assembly" which would be destroyed if an aftermarket ignition system were to be used. So, I wonder if there is an easy way to completely change ignitions to the DIS system used on the '63, or something like it?

2. AWD. Last time I was under the car, I noticed that there seems to be a tunnel running along the midline of the car where it seems a driveshaft would go. Now, if the Galant shares the same basic suspension and what not with the Eclipse, couldn't the transmission and rear drivetrain components from a 2G GSX be bolted into place? I know it'd be a lot of work, and would probably require a custom driveshaft and conversion of the front knuckles to 5 lug if you wanted everything to look right, but other than that I can't really think of too many reasons why it couldn't be done. Just another pipedream perhaps, but still fun to think about.

3. Machine work. I've actually never opened up a '64, so I don't have any idea what the block looks like. Could the cylinders be bored out to the point of increased displacement at all? I know on some cars it'd make the cylinder walls too thin if much material at all is removed, but I was thinking if one were building an all out 4g64 upping the displacement to a nice even 2.5L would be nice. And I know the 4g series of motors are nigh legendary for their ability to survive astronomical hp, so logically it would seem there's a bit of room for expansion, but without first-hand knowledge I'm only guessing.

4. Bumper covers. Mine is in really rough shape. Before I owned the car it got battery acid spilled on the bumper leaving nasty paint-less splotches. Also, some recent "off roading" took it's toll on the bumper, destroying three of the fastners that hold it on, so now it sorta flops when I drive, especially at higher speeds. Where can I get a new one for a reasonable price? I'm almost afraid to go to the dealership... They're not shy about asking several hundred for something like that. And I'm really leaning away from the idea of a body kit. Last I checked (though, I'm not extremely up with the external modifications thing) the only kit available for the Galant is the Erebuni kit which is just a bit extreme for my tastes. And I tend to avoid trying to make parts for other cars fit, because you can run into problems there with expensive body work, and what not. So, if anyone has one lying around they'd like to sell me, or if anyone knows where I can get one reasonably I'm sorta looking.

5. Electircal Gremlens!!! Blast, this is becoming annoying. I don't know if anyone else suffers from electrical problems, but I have several wierd ones. My door locks seem to be possessed. They work when they want to, and if they don't feel like working at any given time I have to do it all manually. The Driver's side window is also kinda screwy, but I can live with that. In addition to that, My cooling fan simply refuses to work. I've replaced everything in the system that has to do with the fan, and still it won't work. I haven't been able to try much recently as the cold weather has made it very difficult to build enough heat to turn on the fan. But, I know the fan works because I can trip it manually. The relays are both new, the sensor is new, and I just don't know what else to try other than the thermostat. I'll probably post this again in car problems, but here I'm not talking about the problem specifically, rather the abundance of electrical problems in general.

6. Finally, Anti-sway bars: The one on the Galant is laughably tiny. and there isn't any bar on the rear. I'll just assume that the front bar is the same as the 2g Eclipse, and that the rear from a GS Galant or Eclipse can be made to fit. However, I've yet to see any for the 2g Eclipse. Are there any? I've found for the 1G, but I think there's too much diffrence in suspensions. I'm sorta focusing on Handling in the next aspect of building up the Galant, and while I'm in there I figure if I can I'll go ahead and swap out the anti-sway bar and beef up the handling.

Hmm, maybe I should think less on cars and more on the school work? Nah...

Jesse
11-07-2002, 04:16 PM
1) Yes you can convert to a DIS system. Look on the yahoo 4g64 bored, there are some previous posts about it and you can ask there. More knowledge about the technicality of the 4g64 and 4g63 there.

2) Go for it. Yes i'm sure it can be done with a similar layout, definitely not just bolt up, but the car can accept and adapt the AWD conversion.

3) Why go through that work? If staying NA and trying to push it to the limits then it might be worth while along with high compression pistons and water/alcohol injection. But if you're going turbo, just do the dohc head swap and boost away.

4) I have a rear bumper in excellen shape. I also have a 100% brand new front bumper suppport I paid $220 from the dealer. I also have a used rear support and rear absorber. Contact me if you're interested in any of them. I do not have the front bumper, it was demolished.

5) Not sure, maybe it's an ECU problem

6) I have a front strut tower bar for the 2g eclipse and also a rear lower tie bar. They both made dramatic differences. The front stb reduced wheel hop by a lot and they both made cornering a breeze.

Hope some of the feedback was worthwhile

TJC
11-07-2002, 04:29 PM
[LIST]Only thing I've heard is some members on Club3G has successfully installed an MSD 6 series ignition system on the 3rd gen. 6G72.
no comment
no comment
no comment
Door locks has got to be contacts. I'd start with the switches and hopefully you can take them appart to clean the contacts. As for the windows, it could be a dying motor or the tracks for the windows and other moving mechanisms need cleaning and greasing. For the fan, I'd try to meter the point of the sensor to see if it really is hot enough to trigger the sensor. I'm not sure if you can simulate or trigger the sensor some other way so you can actually test that the sensor IS triggering the relays.
Yes, the 2G Eclipse suspension braces should work but limited to what's available. Don't forget about all the other bushings that can be upgraded to polyurethane ones and also the motor mounts. And nice low profile tires and lighter wheels does wonders on handling too.[LIST]

Kain
11-07-2002, 04:42 PM
I have a front strut tower bar for the 2g eclipse and also a rear lower tie bar. They both made dramatic differences. The front stb reduced wheel hop by a lot and they both made cornering a breeze

I'm talking about the anti-roll bar. The one near the firewall, it ties the front struts together. It's about as big around as my index finger on the Galant. Wheras on a Firebird for example, it's about 2-3X as beefy. I already have a STB for the front.

Other than that, thanks for the input. I really need to check back over at the 4g64 board...I just need to remember my login.

TJC
11-07-2002, 05:07 PM
I'm talking about the anti-roll bar. The one near the firewall, it ties the front struts together. It's about as big around as my index finger on the Galant. Wheras on a Firebird for example, it's about 2-3X as beefy. I already have a STB for the front...

Ah sorry, misread it. You might want to give RRE a call. they've been installing all kinds of anti-sway bars for ppl. http://www.roadraceengineering.com/default.htm ('http://www.roadraceengineering.com/default.htm')

fstrthnu
11-07-2002, 09:30 PM
3) You can safely bore the 4g64 out .50mm (.020 over). I got the info from Ron at www.rpmrons.com. But you can get OEM pistons in std., .020, and .040 sizes. If you want customs units JE will make them for $125 a piece or you can get a set from wiseco for $406. I personally am going to go w/ wiseco.