PDA

View Full Version : leaking power steering

Robotnik123
05-21-2006, 04:34 AM
So I was driving along today and I hear a grinding noise whenever I turn the wheel. So I pull over and see the power steering reservoir is empty and blood red power steering fluid is dripping out under the car. :shock:

Anyway, it looks like leak is coming out the pump itself and not one of the hoses leading to it. I walked over to the nearst service station, bought some Castrol Dexron III 'H-Rated' ATF and put that in the reservoir and drove the short distance home.

I was looking at my car's manual and for the fluid to put in, it says 'fluid recommend by dealer'. Is Dexron III automatic transmission fluid the right powerstering fluid to put in a 1999 Legnum (galant wagon) VR-4? This was the fluid I used for my old E39 BMW 540i, so I hope it's right for the Legnum! Anyone know?

Also, if I keep topping up the fluid, do you guys think the car will be drivable for the 3 miles or so it is to the mechanic tomorrow? Powesteering fluid vapour was evaporating off the hot engine by the time I got home. Is there a risk of a fire?

I'd normally post this on www.clubvr4.co.uk, but their forums are down. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif