View Full Version : Wireing an air/fuel gauge?

bigbluetotoro
05-24-2006, 05:10 PM
hey. i just got a really nice set of gauges from Fishboy55, and i tried to wire them up today. so of corse, just like every time I try to do something to my car it ends with everything in peices and me way to frustrated to see correctly. so now that i took an hour to cool down. i messaged Fishboy55 to see if i could get directions, becuase i know nothing when it comes to this stuff. and these were the diretions i got

" If you follow the four O2 sensor wires up through the bottom of the car, they go into an itermediate connector just to the right of the gas pedal - behind the plastic that's part of the center console there. Nevermind the the wire colors before the connect (O2 side) b/c you want to tap the wires on the harness side. After the connection, they become green, black, red and blue/red. I tapped the green wire for the O2 sensor signal. The green and another color wire (I think black) were in a shrink-wrap-type covering or protector that was green with a black stripe. You have to peel back that covering to get a good connection on the green wire. Is that confusing?"

so i went under and tried to find these wires. and i found what i think hes talking about. but there are about 20 or so different wires. and there were about 4 different green wires.and none of them with a black stripe. so i winged it and connected it to the one that was green with a silver mark :?:
and it didnt work. and the volts gause i couldent get to wrok with 3 different spots. so i got pissed and gave up. is there any easy to follow tutorals? mabie with shiny pictures? for this wire up. the search was no help as usual. thanks guys.

bigbluetotoro
05-24-2006, 07:58 PM
great! and now my battery light wont go off :cry: what did i do?

pinoyesv6
05-25-2006, 08:28 AM
first thing i'd do is put everything back the way you found it. that should fix the problem you are having if your problem was related to what you were doing.

on the voltmeter, there should be 3 sets of wires, ground, positive and the wiring for the lighting. if you want to test the voltmeter, just connect the ground to ground and the positive to the positive lead of the battery, it should go to 12-13 volts if the car is on. if it doesn't then the gauge is broke.

bigbluetotoro
05-25-2006, 06:16 PM
ok thanks. i fixed the battery and brake problem. it was a blown fuse for the hazard lights.

does anyone have a clear tutorial for wiring the air/fuel gauge? i still cant figure it out.

bigbluetotoro
05-26-2006, 06:56 PM
anyone :?: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

pinoyesv6
05-26-2006, 07:30 PM
try this ('https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=7820&highlight=tap+gauge+pin')