PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearings

Coldshot
11-07-2002, 07:12 PM
has anyone that has lowered their cars have any wheel bearing problems, i have a 2002 gtz, lowered it about 3 months ago, now im hearing this god awful scraping sound when i turn to the right. im pretty sure its a bearing, and i think its in the rear. but i have to listen to it a bit more, i usually drive with my stereo blasting so i cant hear shit, i just noticed it today so i have to look into it more, prolly put it up on the lift at work and see whats up

pinoyesv6
11-07-2002, 07:24 PM
i'd check to see if you are rubbing somewhere cuz u say u only hear it when u turn right. i'd also see if you have some uneven tire wear...

Coldshot
11-07-2002, 07:35 PM
i doubt highly that something is rubbing, it sounds like a bearing, its a metal to metal scraping sound, kinda like if your backing plate is hitting the rotors on a disc brake, which i need to check that out too

pinoyesv6
11-07-2002, 07:38 PM
check the back or your rims...the rim itself could be rubbing somewhere...

Gilhuly
11-10-2002, 10:13 AM
Could be the brakes, the wheel bearings or the tires(if you have the stock tires). I had noise from both the brakes and the tires, mostly in front priorto replacing each as they needed it. If your wheel turns up diagonally into the wheel well when your going 75 mph, it's the wheel bearings, definitely.

Coldshot
11-10-2002, 11:36 AM
well, i had my car up on the lift friday, nothing is rubbing as far as rims and tires, the brakes are fine, i prolly have about another 20-30k miles on the brakes. the sound doesnt get louder as my speed increases, i just hear it at slow speeds turning right. everything looks perfect under the car, i really dont know what the hell this noise is. and i cant see that a bearing would start going at 25k miles on the car

Gilhuly
11-14-2002, 10:49 PM
It's not the bearing. I have 78K on my v6. I had the exact same thing on my car. It isprobably the brakes. As I learned from Manybrews, the brake is actually always in contact with the disc. As you are from the NE, it may be the rust building up a little on the rotors, but I'm not positive on that. Ido know, though that the noises went away when I replaced the rotors and the tires. If you have those goodyear Eagle tires they make their own noise especially when turning at slow speeds.

Fishboy55
11-15-2002, 06:07 AM
It's not the bearing. I have 78K on my v6. I had the exact same thing on my car. It isprobably the brakes. As I learned from Manybrews, the brake is actually always in contact with the disc. As you are from the NE, it may be the rust building up a little on the rotors, but I'm not positive on that. Ido know, though that the noises went away when I replaced the rotors and the tires. If you have those goodyear Eagle tires they make their own noise especially when turning at slow speeds.
Damn gilhuly, you beat me to the post again https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif If you have the Goodyear Eagle tires, they are shit. The internal belts are rubbing against one another and probably causing your noise. I went to the dealer three times about it, and manybrews has replaced countless sets of the damned things. It's not dangerous at all, just annoying and yes, it sounds like brakes rubbing. A temporary fix is to spray silicone spray all the way around the inner and outer bead of the tire where it meets the wheel. Also as the weather gets colder, the problem becomes more evident. The silicone fix will last about 3 months in the cold weather. Since I replaced my tires, I haven't heard a peep.

Chip

Coldshot
11-15-2002, 08:56 PM
ahhh, that makes a lot of sense now, i do have the good year tires, and yes they are shit, im almost ready to replace 2 of them with only 25k miles. as for the brakes, the rotors rusted up a week after i got the damn car, not where the pad hits tho. well, hopefully ill get rims soon, which im gonna get toyo proxies for tires, and possibly get the slotted and crossdrilled rotors. im just glad its not the bearing cause the rear bearing look like a bitch to replace, and im not sending the thing to the dealership up here, ive heard too many horror stories.

thanx guys

TJC
11-16-2002, 12:00 AM
Haha, I was going to say that b/c remember manybrews talking about those tires but wasn't convinced it would make a metal on metal sound so kept quiet. Guess the best test would be getting a new set of wheels if you need them.