PDA

View Full Version : AC is taking my power Away.

ILL InFeCteD
05-31-2006, 09:22 AM
Ok As of lately of course the temp outside has went up. Well I decided to use my AC. When I kicked it on my RPM went all the down to 200. Almost as if the car wanted to turn off. Another thing I noticed was that when I was sitting still my Air got warmer but when I was driving the air became colder.

What could be causing this problem?

I was thinking the altenator wasnt giving back enough power to push it.
Any help?

Im also afraid because I was planning on installing my system but I think it would pull away the power to.

RedGalant2k1
05-31-2006, 10:56 AM
Sounds to me like you should start by checking your coolant level, then having the A/C system recharged.

ILL InFeCteD
05-31-2006, 01:10 PM
Well I am going to have the AC recharged at a shop cuz I dont believe in those Cans of at the auto store.

The coolant is still at the max level.

I dont think that would be the reason why the rpm goes down when I put the ac on. I could be wrong but its full and the radiator is new. And a new water pump and timg belt was put in.

:puzzled1:

RedGalant2k1
05-31-2006, 03:46 PM
Well I am going to have the AC recharged at a shop cuz I dont believe in those Cans of at the auto store.

The coolant is still at the max level.

I dont think that would be the reason why the rpm goes down when I put the ac on. I could be wrong but its full and the radiator is new. And a new water pump and timg belt was put in.

:puzzled1:

Probably not, but a low coolant level does affect your A/C system. Its a simple first check up on your A/C.

Have you viewed any physical damage to pulleys, belts, etc etc?

ILL InFeCteD
05-31-2006, 05:10 PM
no the belts are only a year old.

RedGalant2k1
05-31-2006, 05:50 PM
Several Things....

#1 - Charge your A/C system

#2 - Check your starter, alternator, and battery for proper voltage and cranking amps.

Also, you said the water pump, radiator, belts and so forth were replaced?

Do you hear any akward noises? Whining?

98ACR
05-31-2006, 09:57 PM
Having had this EXACT same problem recently, I know what's up.

The A/C compressor clutch is going bad. It will still work fine, it'll just pull the idle down due to the increased drag of the failing clutch. It will soon start to rattle when lugging the engine (going up a hill in a higher gear usually) Than it will just quit working. Go have the clutch replaced before you have to replace the compressor too (about $600 all told)

Also, I have NEVER seen even ONE case of an A/C system simply needing freon added. There's ALWAYS a leak, or a different problem.

ILL InFeCteD
06-01-2006, 08:26 AM
AC Clutch.
Ok cool....I guess Ill try to do that soon before it gets worse.

Thanx Everyone.

ILL InFeCteD
06-01-2006, 01:54 PM
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewt...hlight=c+clutch ('https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=46543&highlight=c+clutch')
I saw that thread.

Is it possible to just replace the clutch of the compressor or do I have to get the whole thing?

How Hard Is It?

RedGalant2k1
06-01-2006, 02:50 PM
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=46543&highlight=c+clutch
I saw that thread.

Is it possible to just replace the clutch of the compressor or do I have to get the whole thing?

How Hard Is It?

It is possible to replace just the clutch, but most recommend replacing the entire clutch and compressor. To tell you the truth many A/C Manufacturers won't even warranty the compressor if you just replace the clutch.

If you are going to replace the clutch, do yourself a favor replace the entire compressor. Personally I'd recommend having it charged first, it may not even be the compressor. So rather than spending $800-1000 (or more) spend $80 and see exactly what the problem is first.

ILL InFeCteD
06-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Yeah I hear You.

Ill take it by a shop a have them check it out. If it is the clutch then Im just gonna have it discharged and replace it myself and then recharge it.

Thanx

RedGalant2k1
06-02-2006, 03:07 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ILL InFeCteD)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah I hear You.

Ill take it by a shop a have them check it out. If it is the clutch then Im just gonna have it discharged and replace it myself and then recharge it.

Thanx</div>

I will tell you now if the A/C Clutch or compressor is leaking or failed a recharge may not even be able to be done. Basically you'd know almost immediately if the A/C Compressor is bad.