PDA

View Full Version : Another odd one...

98ACR
06-10-2006, 09:47 PM
This morning I noticed a puddle of "something" under the car. I quickly realized that the clear oil was P/S fluid. I took it to work, racked it and found the leak to be one of the lines. What's odd is where the line is. It goes from the driver's side of the rack to the passenger side of the rack :?: And there're two lines that run more or less the same path. It's leaking right where it goes into the rack, around the fitting. I called the dealer, and after about 20 minutes of giving me the runaround they found that the hose that's leaking is either $40 or $50 depending on exactly which line it is. But it's leaking very heavily, so I'm stuck close to home until I get it fixed. (it emptied the resovior in under 10 miles). I'm gonna take it up there Tuesday so they can look at it and tell me which one is leaking, and possibly change it for me (I fear cross threading the fittings on the rack) I'm just stumped as to why there are lines running fluid from one side of the rack to the other and back again. I've replaced three racks and never seen anything like it before.

RedGalant2k1
06-10-2006, 11:23 PM
Well, I haven't seen the layout on the p/s lines on a 7g but I can tell you there are multiple lines on any power steering system. There may have been a TSB for p/s issues on 7Gs that required a redesign, or it may just be to carry proper pressure in the p/s system.

4-G-rim
06-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Majority of P/S lines the give are the high pressure side.