PDA

View Full Version : hard time frinding the right oil filter and air filter

steve18sccc
06-12-2006, 08:45 PM
i have a 05 galant se with the 4cly i don't know if anyone else has this problem but everytime i want to change my oil i can never get the right oil filter everyone has the wrong oil filter listed they have the o3 oil filters i know the 2005 has a larger oil filter than the 2003 the dealer told me they have 2 different oil filters for the car i don't know if this is true but i am stuck and have to buy mitsu ooil filters and the same thing with the air filters the wrong one is listed now i have to buy one for 40$ at the dealership. does anyone know if there is a fram air filter that fits the 2005 4cly 2.4l engine if anyone can help me out thanks

quicksilver22
06-12-2006, 09:27 PM
I believe there are two filters for the new cars, atleast two different sizes

Oil Filter Listings ('http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=Y001&UserAction=processModel&Parameters=%7C%7EGALANT%7C%7EMITSUBISHI%7C%7E2005&PageSync=2')

there are engine codes of G and F, do you know which one is yours???

click each one and see which one you bought, and purchase the oppositte one... thats my only thoughts...

*edit*
here is a listing of K&N Air and Oil Filters for all galants, you can view yours: K&N Filters ('http://www.dragtimes.com/Mitsubishi-Galant-KN-Air-Filters-m34-n1176.html')

9G
06-12-2006, 09:31 PM
here's for the oil filters $50 for 10 oil filters

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GENUINE-OEM...040462647QQrdZ1 ('http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GENUINE-OEM-MITSUBISHI-OIL-FILTERS-CASE-OF-10_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33661QQitemZ80404626 47QQrdZ1')

pinoyesv6
06-12-2006, 09:35 PM
mitsubishi has 2 different oil filters i believe. the mounting is interchangable. meaning both oil filters would mount and thread in just fine. the difference is packaging. one oil filter is fat and one is skinny. the fat one might not fit in one car so they use a skinny one.

steve18sccc
06-12-2006, 09:41 PM
yeah i have the larger one i will have to look up which one i have in the morning the oil filters i can live with buying from the dealer but the air filters is what i really need i don't want to spend 40$ for it does anyone know about them fram had the wrong one listed

pinoyesv6
06-12-2006, 09:52 PM
the air filter in the i4 is the same as in the v6. it is also the same as the 4g eclipse and the endeavour. just if you wanted to do some cross referencing.

Tech_Greek
06-12-2006, 10:20 PM
K&N FTW!

Have you seen how open ours is to road debris? Seriously, if I for some reason ran over a tire I guarntee you the first thing to go would be the oil filter...K&N's pretty strong but it wont stop the arm from getting torn off...however our life is made MUCH easier with the easy location.

RedGalant2k1
06-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Personally I'd recommend ONLY using the Mitsubish Genuine oil filters.

Tech_Greek
06-13-2006, 12:22 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Personally I'd recommend ONLY using the Mitsubish Genuine oil filters.</div>

Why, so you can over buy something that they are buying from a mfg of aftermarket anyway?

RedGalant2k1
06-13-2006, 10:50 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tech_Greek)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Personally I'd recommend ONLY using the Mitsubish Genuine oil filters.</div>

Why, so you can over buy something that they are buying from a mfg of aftermarket anyway?</div>

Nope. They ALWAYS worked better with any kind of oil I used than ANY aftermarket filter. That includes AMSoil or Mobil One filters. By working better I mean, less lifter tick noise and cleaner oil.

Tech_Greek
06-13-2006, 10:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tech_Greek)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Personally I'd recommend ONLY using the Mitsubish Genuine oil filters.</div>

Why, so you can over buy something that they are buying from a mfg of aftermarket anyway?</div>

Nope. They ALWAYS worked better with any kind of oil I used than ANY aftermarket filter. That includes AMSoil or Mobil One filters. By working better I mean, less lifter tick noise and cleaner oil.</div>

Yeah...buddy, I hate to inform you.

#1) If your oil is clean, something is wrong, it's a DETERGENT that keeps your engine lubricated and your motor clean from sludge!
#2) Mobil1/K&N are the only ones I'll personally use, after working in a lube center for a year and cutting every brand up.
#3) Lifter Tick Noise - use a heavier weight oil.

RedGalant2k1
06-13-2006, 11:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tech_Greek)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yeah...buddy, I hate to inform you.

#1) If your oil is clean, something is wrong, it's a DETERGENT that keeps your engine lubricated and your motor clean from sludge!
#2) Mobil1/K&N are the only ones I'll personally use, after working in a lube center for a year and cutting every brand up.
#3) Lifter Tick Noise - use a heavier weight oil.</div>

I won't argue. The filter is designed to trap contaminants in the engine, the better it does that the better (and cleaner) the oil operates. But hey you have your experience I have mine. I won't use anything but Mitsubishi filters. Btw, I ALWAYS used the same weight Mobil One 5w30 before AND after using Mitsubishi Filters.

Tech_Greek
06-13-2006, 11:31 PM
You're confusing particles with SLUDGE, sludge is what slows your motor down, wears your rings, and 'lifters...you let major particles get into your motor you'll just have 30k miles out of a motor instead of 200k.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ ('http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/')

Read up, very interesting stuff, and I too thought the same until I took the time to learn the difference.

ChikagoGTZ
06-13-2006, 11:53 PM
Yeah, I use K&N filters only...they're made well and are easy to install and remove. Some really good filters like mobile1 are made in the same factory as purelator filters...just stamped with different names...I believe the link he shows explains that as well.

Dave