PDA

View Full Version : running way rich...

frag_daddy_2007
06-13-2006, 02:30 PM
recently i have noticed severe carbon build up on my exhaust tip that hasnt been there before. i plugged in my friends a/f ratio meter to my o2 sensor and it is running really rich (cant remember the exact numbers). i have also noticed a power drop. i called my uncle who is a liscensed mechanic and he suggested that i try a new mas (mass airflow sensor) but im not willing to drop the $250 to buy one if im not sure.
any suggestions?

seth98esT
06-13-2006, 02:39 PM
Any check engine lights? Have you changed or added anything? If the MAS was bad, I would only assume you would get a CEL. Is the car running normally, just rich?

frag_daddy_2007
06-13-2006, 02:43 PM
the check engine light has never came on, even when the mas was disconnected (i was experimenting after it started doing this)
it has started getting flooded after sitting for a day or so and i have to give it a few seconds at start up

98ACR
06-14-2006, 09:09 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frag_daddy_2007)</div><div class='quotemain'>it has started getting flooded after sitting for a day or so and i have to give it a few seconds at start up</div>

No. That's your fuel pump losing it's prime. Mine does the same thing at 170K

As for it running rich, tune it up first. Cap, rotor, plugs, wires, air filter, PCV, oil change, and an induction system service (all but the last one can be done by you in about an hour) If that dosen't solve your problem, than the MAS is possibly the culprit. I always look at tune-up and maintnance items before expensive parts, but that's just from my general experience since I don't know enough about your car to make a specific call.

frag_daddy_2007
06-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Cap, rotor, plugs, wires, air filter, PCV, and oil change have all been done withen the last 3000 miles but the intake manifold hasnt been serviced in a long time. when i open the tb the backside is black from carbon build up. should i try cleaning that?

98ACR
06-15-2006, 09:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frag_daddy_2007)</div><div class='quotemain'>Cap, rotor, plugs, wires, air filter, PCV, and oil change have all been done withen the last 3000 miles but the intake manifold hasnt been serviced in a long time. when i open the tb the backside is black from carbon build up. should i try cleaning that?</div>

Yes, clean that with some carb cleaner and a toothbrush than take it to a garage and ask for an induction system service. I know my shop does it for $60, others do it for less. You'll see a signifigant improvement in throttle response, idle quality, and fuel economy. Unfortunately, unless you have the cleaning device, you HAVE to pay a shop to do it for you. It takes about an hour. Oh, and change your fuel filter.

frag_daddy_2007
06-16-2006, 03:03 PM
will do, thanks for the help