PDA

View Full Version : track run suggestions?

Turboutlaw
11-09-2002, 12:27 AM
Well I went to the track tonight for the very first time ever and I was kinda dissappointed. The was a broken weld on my intake and it just kept like coming apart so it was just like bringing in the air from the hole right after the MAS. Anyways, I was getting 1.166 for my reaction and thenmy 60 was 2.567. These were the times for my best run which was only 17.181 for my quarter mile at 79.8 mph. I am just gonna accept the fact that it was my first time and I know it will get better everytime. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me. I had a hard time trying decide whether to go before it actually got to the green light, or wait for it so I didnt feel like I was cheating. I also have an automatic and I was going with the left foot on the brake pedal and reving with the right, then hitting it hard right at the start and just holding it to the floor the whole way. I ahve an i4 with a muffler, and then the confusedCAI, I have that fixed now though. Any type of suggestions for like techniques and other stuff for getting a better time would be awesome, thanks. Not like what I should buy......

RedGalant2k1
11-09-2002, 01:25 AM
put the tire pressure down to 27-28psi up front and about 35-37psi in the rear

you will be pleasantly suprised with the results https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

CliptheApex
11-09-2002, 08:52 AM
break torque....and go when it hits the last yellow light, not when you see green.

Turboutlaw
11-09-2002, 09:40 AM
thanks, what exactly is break torque?? Aslo, should I tighten my throttle cable before I go?

Auto-9
11-09-2002, 10:13 AM
Pushing up those revs while holding the brake so when the light turns green...

HeadAche
11-09-2002, 11:38 AM
The best track tips i can give u are:

Drop ur tires presses about 6spi up front and about 4psi in the rear to get better traction, when u put the power down.

Hold the break and then rev-up the gas holding it til u see the last yellow light blow up then go.. by the time u let go of the brake on ur last yellow light the green would have come up in the same instant..

Go to the track with about a 1/4 tank of gas.. if u go with half a tank or a full tank all the weight shifting to the back will slow u down drastically... If u want run on race gas which is like 100+octane gives a really good boost..

Tightening ur TB cable will help with acceleration right off the line..

For the all the i-4 guz running short ram intakes take out ur driver side headlight for the ram effect, it helps a whole lot especially on cold nights..

Fishboy55
11-12-2002, 07:51 AM
Yep, I agree with everything Shane said, especially punching it when you see the last yellow. That really makes all the difference. Use your practice runs to feel out when to hit the gas. If you redlight a couple times, who cares, it's a practice run. I use all the same techniques as Shane and everyone mentioned and the best I've gotten on my R/T is .593. Not bad for an old fart like me.

Never thought about the volume of gas sloshing around, slowing you down. I'll have to give that a shot in the spring when the track reopens.

Chip

Auto-9
11-12-2002, 08:45 AM
My best reaction time was .57 simply due to luck https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif I usually average 1.1...so sad, so sad...

HeadAche
11-12-2002, 10:27 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yep, I agree with everything Shane said, especially punching it when you see the last yellow. That really makes all the difference. Use your practice runs to feel out when to hit the gas. If you redlight a couple times, who cares, it's a practice run. I use all the same techniques as Shane and everyone mentioned and the best I've gotten on my R/T is .593. Not bad for an old fart like me.

Never thought about the volume of gas sloshing around, slowing you down. I'll have to give that a shot in the spring when the track reopens.

Chip</div>

Yeah if u think about it, our tanks hold between 12-16 gallons of gas, if u go to the track with about 1/4 take thats about 3-4 gallons... With the gas tank being on a lighter load u have less gas being moved around and its faster to distrubute.. Im not sure if anyone has noticed when ur low on gas and driving pretty fast ur backend feels really loose like it wasnts to step out on u somtimes.. but when u have a full tank its really heavy and kinda sluggish.

Prophet
11-12-2002, 11:24 AM
Also ice you CAI right before you run.

Jason

Fishboy55
11-12-2002, 11:45 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Outlawzcc)</div><div class='quotemain'>Also ice you CAI right before you run.

Jason</div>
That's a good idea, but a couple of points to remember about that:
1) Remember to take the bag of ice off the intake before you pull into the burnout area. I saw a ricer civic at the track that forgot to, and there was a really loud band as the remainder of the ice got caught in his fan belt. A good laugh was had by all

2) Make sure you dry everything off before you go in the burnout area. If the track official sees something dripping from your car, even if it's water, they aren't going to let you run until you get it cleaned up and stopped.

Chip

Prophet
11-12-2002, 12:10 PM
I also heard the you should turn on you heater to full blast also but I am not sure why that would work. Some of my friends said that it draws the heat out of your engine. I am still researching that one.

Jason :roll:

Fishboy55
11-12-2002, 12:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Outlawzcc)</div><div class='quotemain'>I also heard the you should turn on you heater to full blast also but I am not sure why that would work. Â*Some of my friends said that it draws the heat out of your engine. Â*I am still researching that one.

Jason :roll:</div>
That's a known fix if your engine is overheating, but I've never heard of doing that prior to a track run. Since they make you roll up all your windows, that's gonna get damned uncomfortable during that 1/4 mile run. LOL

Chip

HeadAche
11-12-2002, 11:31 PM
i have heard about guyz who turn on the heater before their runs, but i forgot what the reason was.. But i do ice my ice, but not with a bag of ice, i just use can air, i put it in a cooler with ice in it and then before i go to the staging area i spray the whole intake until its cold to the touch..