PDA

View Full Version : Loss Prevention

SpicyGalant
06-15-2006, 12:34 AM
How does a car owner prevent their car from being towed? are there any mods, forms of protection that are possible? This is good to know, not for fighting the law enforcement, but for avoiding getting ur whip stolen by tow truck owners....:-/

empyrean
06-15-2006, 12:40 AM
Slam it down on bags... hehe. Friend does that with his old chevy truck.

galant_got_speed
06-15-2006, 12:42 AM
well at school we had to buy parking passes for the year if we wanted to drive to school...if you didnt have one you got towed no questions asked...i said fuck them and i locked the wheel all the way in one direction and jacked the e-brake...did they tow my car you ask?

NOPE. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

if they did they would have damaged it and i would have sued their motherfucking asses.... :twisted:

6G72Galant
06-15-2006, 05:48 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>SpicyGalant Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:34 am Â* Â*Post subject: Loss Prevention Â*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Â*
How does a car owner prevent their car from being towed? are there any mods, forms of protection that are possible? This is good to know, not for fighting the law enforcement, but for avoiding getting ur whip stolen by tow truck owners....:-/ </div>

Im guessing you missed a couple of car payments...and now the Repo man is after your Galant huh? Tsk Tsk Tsk https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif Well if you want, you could always remove a rear tire. That way itd be pretty impossible for the bastards to tow your shit. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Nah seriously though....Repo men these days have some pretty ingenious technology when it comes to grabbin a car. So i would say your best bet would prolly be to do as Galant got speed did...."lock your E-Brake". I dont think any Repo man is going to drag your car down the street with your tires squealing...and if i remember correctly, FWD cars have to be towed from the front. Not the rear.

quicksilver22
06-15-2006, 06:00 AM
it really doesn't matter what you do,

majority of tow truck drivers have GoJacks now,

http://www.dgtow.com/assets/images/gojak6000.gif

I think the only way is to park it in a closed garage, not do anything illegal, etc...

you can turn your wheels, lock them w/ e-brake, etc...

but they almost always find a way..

pvu_rida
06-15-2006, 09:26 AM
locking ur ebrake is going to do anything, they can just slim jim your door and let down your brake.... i've seen that numerous of times, and locking ur wheels isn't gonna do anygood also, like quicksilver said, the have those go jacks now. they only thing I could say is get that mod on ur alarm that makes ur shit go off if ur car is jacked up.. at least that wakes u up and get a pistol and shoot a warning shot to scared the driver away

Xrs2
06-15-2006, 07:16 PM
My dad owns a Rollback, and I have helped him tow alot of cars. If worse come to worse you can just pull the car on with the winch, and spray WD-40 under the tires against the aluminum decking, and it will slide on. Hell it would slide on if there were no tires on the car.

If it is a Rollback there is nothing really you can do, we have pulled on cars before that had the tires cut tough, and ebrake on. Haha we just lower the deck and tilt it right by the front tires, one sprays and one works the levers. Goes on in about 3 mins. Strap it down and bail.

AVERAGE
06-15-2006, 08:10 PM
Most Repos automatically dispatch a rollback truck. E brake wont help at all.

Kalamidad
06-15-2006, 08:14 PM
well, it may also be because you owe parking tickets. But whatever the reason my be. My car got toed while i was at a club in NYC, WITH THE E BRAKE ON. I parked at a no parking. So Spicy, i haven't really heard of any ways to prevent that from happening.

by the way, turning your wheels will fuck up your alingment if you get toed.

6G72Galant
06-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Well...fight fire with fire!!! Remove two tires! Ha! Thatll show those Repo men! 8)

AVERAGE
06-15-2006, 08:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(6G72Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well...fight fire with fire!!! Remove two tires! Ha! Thatll show those Repo men!</div>
Most Repos automatically dispatch a rollback truck

6G72Galant
06-15-2006, 08:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>AVERAGE Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:25 am Â* Â*Post subject: Â*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Â*
6G72Galant wrote: Â*
Well...fight fire with fire!!! Remove two tires! Ha! Thatll show those Repo men! Â*

Most Repos automatically dispatch a rollback truck. E brake wont help at all. </div>

So how do you tow a car with only two tires??? Riddle me that Batman :twisted: !!! HaHahh!

AVERAGE
06-15-2006, 08:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(quicksilver22)</div><div class='quotemain'>it really doesn't matter what you do,

majority of tow truck drivers have GoJacks now, Â*

I think the only way is to park it in a closed garage, not do anything illegal, etc... Â*

but they almost always find a way..</div> And I'm spent..... :wink:

SLS2000
06-15-2006, 08:57 PM
unfortunately the old saying stays truer then ever.

If they want it
they'll get it.

With a tow truck.
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

Xrs2
06-15-2006, 08:57 PM
We have never done it, but some dudes have wood that is sanded smooth on one side, they just lift the car enough to get one under any part of the car that is touching the ground (usually the rotors, unless the car was wrecked) and just pull it on. It tears up the wood some, but you just have to resand it smooth. Thats if they dont have GoJacks ofcourse.

The only way you can stop a car from getting towed in locking it in a building somewhere. If you have a manual, don't think that leaving it in gear will help, we just crank em on anyway. Some people say it fucks the trannys up, some say its fine. Either way there is no way to prove it. Some cars make a terrible noise when you pull em on in gear, besides the tire noise squeeling. Ohh well...not our car really. As long as we don't obviously ruin anything, tow truck drivers don't care. Even if they do break shit, we have insurance. You can't sue a tow truck driver for ruining your shit, either the yards insurance covers it, or the drivers insurance does. And thats if you can prove it happened before they picked the car up. Which is very hard to do. Especially with the little stuff like scrapes and dents/dings.

midwest_G
06-15-2006, 09:06 PM
just find a way to buy one of these...

A Boot
http://www.mountaintimes.com/mtweekly/2005/0721/car%20boot-1.gif

That will mess with them for awhile http://www.mnsportcompacts.net/forum/images/smilies/banana.gif

SpicyGalant
06-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Thank you! a boot! lol does that help prevent towing? - after I get all my responses ill give the story lol but yea....a boot! how bout that lol

Rqoz31
06-15-2006, 11:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AVERAGE)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(quicksilver22)</div><div class='quotemain'>it really doesn't matter what you do,

majority of tow truck drivers have GoJacks now, Â*

I think the only way is to park it in a closed garage, not do anything illegal, etc... Â*

but they almost always find a way..</div> And I'm spent..... :wink:</div>

If they have a jack like this, a boot can't do anything. I recommend you to call your bank and make some payments agreements. If you can’t , park you car in different place with out your plate and hide your bin number.

chromey
06-16-2006, 10:45 AM
i work next to the precint, so i see all kinds of shit.

ive seen a tow truck driver push a s-class on 20's on gojacks into the parking lot.

they can steal/repo ANYTHING with a gojack. just gojack the bitch and roll it down the street

7G_Beater
06-16-2006, 12:26 PM
If they want it they will get it... if you don't want it towed- put it in storage in a locked building.
Cover your VIN with something and put different tags or remove them. If you leave it on the street it doesn't matter what you do to it to keep it from being moved- they will tow it no matter what/ rack-n-jack or roll back they'll get it.
The only other way I've seen people keep from getting repoed is by parking it in a lot and having someone park other cars in front of it blocking it in... atleast in PA they are not allowed to touch the other cars to get to the target.

SpicyGalant
06-18-2006, 10:15 AM
reason being... on monday, someone tried to STEAL my car with a TOW truck. The pager went off in my pocket and running, I went. Everyone I was with ran with me - and low and behold, a tow truck is pulling my car away and coming in our direction. We all run into the street - and guess what?! he swervs away trying to flee - i don't know what was the cause but - the car fell off the hitch - he prob pressed the button or all that frigging swerving and cutting lanes caused the car to fall off the hitch while the truck was in motion. But the car fell off in any event and popped the gears cuz it went ROLLING down the street.... so we had to struggle to push it to a stop - The tow truck had NOOO writing on it, NOOO license plate....nada. Car fell, and he cut the corner and sped off....WTF!!!! trust me, i wasn't parked illegally, my car is paid for, and there is no reason for ANYONE to have to tow my car LEGALLY. But hey, if someone wants to steal it, thats prob the only way, cuz i have every other form of security on it...u think of it, i got it... so what now...lol - imma just slam it to the floor so the hitch can never make it under? get a boot? and hire a watch dog to sit outside the car and bark at every and anyone who even thinks about it :roll:

pvu_rida
06-18-2006, 10:22 AM
damn.... so since ur gears pop.. I assume the tranny is gone... what other damage??? the lip??? do you have lowjack?? gps trackin in ur whip

devgrp
06-18-2006, 03:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SpicyGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>reason being... on monday, someone tried to STEAL my car with a TOW truck. The pager went off in my pocket and running, I went. Everyone I was with ran with me - and low and behold, a tow truck is pulling my car away and coming in our direction. We all run into the street - and guess what?! he swervs away trying to flee - i don't know what was the cause but - the car fell off the hitch - he prob pressed the button or all that frigging swerving and cutting lanes caused the car to fall off the hitch while the truck was in motion. But the car fell off in any event and popped the gears cuz it went ROLLING down the street.... so we had to struggle to push it to a stop - The tow truck had NOOO writing on it, NOOO license plate....nada. Car fell, and he cut the corner and sped off....WTF!!!! trust me, i wasn't parked illegally, my car is paid for, and there is no reason for ANYONE to have to tow my car LEGALLY. But hey, if someone wants to steal it, thats prob the only way, cuz i have every other form of security on it...u think of it, i got it... so what now...lol - imma just slam it to the floor so the hitch can never make it under? get a boot? and hire a watch dog to sit outside the car and bark at every and anyone who even thinks about it Â*:roll:</div>Damn that suck Spicy. Where did this happen?

GOOSEY2099
06-18-2006, 03:38 PM
wow this sucks, now i have to start watching my car every 10sec instead of 30. BTW I have a spare auto tranny laying around real cheap and in good working condition.

Xrs2
06-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Your best bet would be putting it in a building somewhere. Especially if they get caught. Its one thing to steal a car off the street, it is another to break into a building and steal a car.

If youre really worried about it, put it in a storage unit, until they loose interest in it. You'd be surprised how hard it is to get your own shit outta there sometimes, let alone someone elses.

AVERAGE
06-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Wow, :shock: if they were going through all of that they meant BUSINESS! I hope your tranny is still okay, If the truck "dropped" it you might also want to check your struts. It's a good chance that those bad boys could be leaking now.

SLS2000
06-18-2006, 10:25 PM
The beeper gentlemen and ladies. You've got to love the beeper. Works every time.

This time it save your G.

midwest_G
06-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Damn thats shitty atleast they didnt get it
you need to find the guys and http://www.mnsportcompacts.net/forum/images/smilies/nuts.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SLS2000)</div><div class='quotemain'>The beeper gentlemen and ladies. You've got to love the beeper. Works every time. Â*

This time it save your G.</div>

I went out to dinner at a nice resturant and parked at KFC and KFC towed my car the pager went off I ran to the front door and the alarm was blarin as it rolled down the street

7G_Beater
06-19-2006, 09:20 AM
Lojack that B.... then get the cops to nail their ass to the wall when they do it again.

SpicyGalant
06-21-2006, 07:21 PM
this happened on foster avenue and ralph ave ...near the canarsie area in brooklyn... the lip wasn't there - so i think that gave them an advantage..im undergoing some reconstruction so i took it off.. yea the tranny is gone but im hearing its a simple fix... fine, but now im considering 5spd swap... i dunno - goosey pm me with a price, i might be interested though. Yea.. it sux... my whip is garage kept, so i have no worries..but to know that i was casually proceeding with my day and that happened.... im a lil shaken lol

SpicyGalant
06-21-2006, 07:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AVERAGE)</div><div class='quotemain'>Wow, :shock: Â*if they were going through all of that they meant BUSINESS! Â*I hope your tranny is still okay, If the truck "dropped" it you might also want to check your struts. It's a good chance that those bad boys could be leaking now.</div>

i was changing those anyway -but good looking out .

S-Line
06-21-2006, 07:29 PM
man o man, seems like galants are prime meat now days. always have been but now its gettin crazy. only a month ago mine was stripped sitting on rotors. honestly i think they towed the car and brung it back becuz i have no idea how they got the rims off w/ wheel locks and not destroy the rims. but hey when theres a will there is a way. and i had a security system, they deaded that shit in minutes i think. nyc is gettin crazy. It is and was the last time i ever park my shit on the streets of nyc. Upstate, your car is good, the worse thing that can happen is someone slammin their door into you car and denting it.

SpicyGalant
07-02-2006, 11:25 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlueStreak8g)</div><div class='quotemain'>man o man, seems like galants are prime meat now days. always have been but now its gettin crazy. only a month ago mine was stripped sitting on rotors. honestly i think they towed the car and brung it back becuz i have no idea how they got the rims off w/ wheel locks and not destroy the rims. but hey when theres a will there is a way. and i had a security system, they deaded that shit in minutes i think. nyc is gettin crazy. It is and was the last time i ever park my shit on the streets of nyc. Upstate, your car is good, the worse thing that can happen is someone slammin their door into you car and denting it.</div>

VERY true... so im looking 2 buy a beater to drive daily - something i considered before but WILL do now lol... cuz I'm paranoid parking on the streets lol- but its aight - i live in bklyn - so imma deal with bklyn

Mante
07-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Aye spicey, like someone mentioned if they want your pride and joy...they will get it. go jacks..turning your wheels..nada.. hell even using air bags just mean the hook from a flat bed is connected to a toe arm and that SOB is pulled up..

When I was living on campus I carried two HD tow chains...each was about 20' long, used both to chain the galnat to a light pole...we had the ones with the big azz cement bases. It was alittle extreme but it didnt give any question that my car was going anywhere... Then again I've personally gotten past chains before... so well I was lucky I guess

SpicyGalant
07-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Aye spicey, like someone mentioned if they want your pride and joy...they will get it. go jacks..turning your wheels..nada.. hell even using air bags just mean the hook from a flat bed is connected to a toe arm and that SOB is pulled up..

When I was living on campus I carried two HD tow chains...each was about 20' long, used both to chain the galnat to a light pole...we had the ones with the big azz cement bases. It was alittle extreme but it didnt give any question that my car was going anywhere... Then again I've personally gotten past chains before... so well I was lucky I guess

FUNNY cuz i considered chains! lol