PDA

View Full Version : Just got my first Galant...'95 ES

Riven
11-09-2002, 11:35 PM
I just got my first Galant earlier this evening...I paid $1488 for it.

It has a 118,000 miles on it but, I was told if I do some basic stuff to it, it should run like new. My roommate that is really into cars said I stole it from the dealer. I am so happy to finally have a car..it' been four months.

Sorry about the rumbling.

I am from Denver, Co and I noticed there are no chapters here. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

Scott

seth98esT
11-09-2002, 11:40 PM
Welcome to the club! Ya just do the normal maintenance stuff like change the oil and tranny fluids and what not and you should be fine.

jluv97
11-10-2002, 10:59 AM
welcome to your new obessesion. Congrats on the car!

Kain
11-10-2002, 12:04 PM
Ahh, the first Galant. And a 7g too.... You'll enjoy it. Yeah, the 4g64 engine is a mighty robust creature. Even with neglect and pounding it will keep going. But why would you want to neglect and pound? Basic maintnance is definitely where you wanna be right now.

We'll assume worst case scenario, and you can go from there:

1 Timing belt. If it hasen't been changed get it done. Mitsubishi uses a high interference motor or often simply called an interference motor. You snap the T-belt and you've got a dead engine. It's gonna be expensive, but hey, the car was cheap...($800 give or take. This is dealer price)

2. Transmission. Check it. The fluid should be cherry red or close to it. If not, does it shift smoothly? Mitsubishis are known for having some of the smoothest shifting transmissions you can find. If it's clunky, you may be looking foreward to some serious expense getting it replaced. If it's smooth, but the fluid is dark, change it or get it changed. ($70 DIY, $150 mechanic)

3. Really basic stuff. This is the stuff you're gonna wanna do yourself, if for no other reason than to familiarize yourself with the world under your hood. Filter (you may just wanna jump straight to a Short ram, or a CAI it's a good low-buck first mod), Oil, Plugs & wires, check all the fluids, check out the brakes, Has recall service been done? If not, have it done. Is the car leaking anything? Rectify that. Also, get some fuel injector cleaner and run it through a tank full. You'll notice a marked improvement in MPG. I like the STP stuff in a black bottle. This isn't really necessary, but I've had good luck using it so I recommend it. Otherwise, stay away from additives of any kind.

Get the car in good working order before you start modifying anything. That way problems will be that much simpler to track down. And by the way, $1488 for a '95 is a steal. Welcome to the club, have fun, and you'll have a good relationship with the Galant.

Riven
11-10-2002, 07:39 PM
That is what my plan for next weekend is...fun. =)

A couple of questions, 1.)Is there a way I can get an owner's manual for the car? Please I should just call one of the Mits dealerships around here.

2.) How does one go about finding out if the recall services have been done? I have no history for this car...that is the reason I plan to drain every fluid in it and put new fluids in.

As far as the transmission goes, the car shift so smooth, the only way I can tell is the engine quiets down and the RPM drop.

The timing belt...the dealership I bought it from told me they places new belts on the car. I am not sure if that includes the timing belt or not but, I will take a look when I am doing the other work.

Thanks for the advise,
Scott

BEAST
11-10-2002, 10:55 PM
Congrats bro and welcome to TGC! Damn dude you got a hella good deal on your ride. 118,000 miles on it isn't too bad so don't sweat it. I bought mine with about 153,000 and now I got 164,000 and its still running as sweet as ever. I drive my car hella hard too which I know I shouldn't but oh well. I had a tranny problem a while ago which set me back about 1500 bucks. Yea the only thing I say bad about the Galants is to watch out for the tranny.

BEAST
11-10-2002, 11:05 PM
oh yea. Is a Mitsu. dealership close to you? If so just take it in one day and ask them to check on any recalls for you. I took mine in one day just to have them look at the air conditioner and they asked me first if I had done my recalls so they did it. I think the recalls on the newer 7g's has something to do with the front left suspension. Forgot exactly what it was. It took about an hour and a half or so to do. So do it when you have some free time.

QnzMostWanted
11-11-2002, 09:06 AM
for recalls, just take the car into a dealer with a service center and have them check the vin