PDA

View Full Version : engine or transmission?

FinalLast
11-10-2002, 10:12 AM
Got a Q for you guys!

got a 99 I4 24K

When I "gun" the car

the engine or transmission gives off a very abnormal sound.

It hard to explain because I don't know much about cars.

It sounds like a mini chu chu train.
The engine goes loud and quiet loud and quiet.
Is the engine misfiring?

Gspeedvr42k1
11-11-2002, 03:06 AM
get your torque convertor checked out.

TJC
11-11-2002, 03:24 AM
That's hard to say. Is the sound coming from the engine bay, under the car, out the exhaust in the back, where? Could just be the exhaust or a hole or leak somewhere along the exhaust or could also be your engine in between gears and it's upshifting and downshifting or could be valves or detonation or poorly tuned car. Could be anything, need more info.

FinalLast
11-11-2002, 09:31 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'>That's hard to say. Is the sound coming from the engine bay, under the car, out the exhaust in the back, where? Could just be the exhaust or a hole or leak somewhere along the exhaust or could also be your engine in between gears and it's upshifting and downshifting or could be valves or detonation or poorly tuned car. Could be anything, need more info.</div>

It’s coming from the engine bay. It only happens when I am pressing the gas hard. With my friends other galant the engine sounds smooth and even when I floor it. With my car something sounds out of sync, or out of balance. The sound is not smooth and even, its sounds like a siren, low pitch and high pitch.

BTW: I just want to say thanks for all your feedback and comments.
any help is greatly appreciated

BlueESV6
11-11-2002, 12:32 PM
Besides the unusual sound does the car accelerate smoothly? How does the power feel while "gunning" it? Need more info...

FinalLast
11-11-2002, 05:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlueESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>Besides the unusual sound does the car accelerate smoothly? How does the power feel while "gunning" it? Need more info...</div>

The car is pretty smooth when accelerating.
But I noticed one strange detail.
While under constant accelerate the needle will pause the accelerating every 5 miles fast or so.
Its like this ..
those are MPH
get it?

and no the pause is not for the tranny shifting.