PDA

View Full Version : Spraying WD40 on the bolts won't damage anything right?

Gladiator
07-08-2006, 03:07 PM
I'm about to paint my calipers and I want to spray some WD-40 onto the bolts to prevent rust with the lug nuts. Would any side-effects occur?

thx

Kalamidad
07-08-2006, 03:12 PM
You wanna use wd40 to take it out? That's fine...Don't really need to though.

But on the inside of the sleeve itself you should put grease to keep it from getting jammed and to keep it working smooth.

peanotation
07-08-2006, 03:13 PM
no. make sure when you paint the calipers, no wd40 residue is on the caliper or else the paint won't stick. use a degreaser, brake cleaner is my fav. as it leaves no residue of any kind and will lift oil, grease, anything. wd40 and pb blaster is used all the time on troublesome bolts. to prevent rust, my autoshop teacher in high school said to use motor oil, but i'm sure there's a better solution out there. try LPS2 oil, it prevents rusts on all engine blocks

Kalamidad
07-08-2006, 03:17 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>no. make sure when you paint the calipers, no wd40 residue is on the caliper or else the paint won't stick. use a degreaser, brake cleaner is my fav. as it leaves no residue of any kind and will lift oil, grease, anything. wd40 and pb blaster is used all the time on troublesome bolts. to prevent rust, my autoshop teacher in high school said to use motor oil, but i'm sure there's a better solution out there. try LPS2 oil, it prevents rusts on all engine blocks</div>

true, make sure there's no residue left.

RedGalant2k1
07-08-2006, 07:07 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kalamidad)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>no. make sure when you paint the calipers, no wd40 residue is on the caliper or else the paint won't stick. use a degreaser, brake cleaner is my fav. as it leaves no residue of any kind and will lift oil, grease, anything. wd40 and pb blaster is used all the time on troublesome bolts. to prevent rust, my autoshop teacher in high school said to use motor oil, but i'm sure there's a better solution out there. try LPS2 oil, it prevents rusts on all engine blocks</div>

true, make sure there's no residue left.</div>

+1

Anti-Sieze works wonders on bolts and fasteners that commonly corrode. Though on your brake caliper bolts your not going to have much to worry about. Those caliper bolts called 'slides' are required to be regreased during each brake repair, or rather at each removal so the need to use WD40 or even use Anti-Sieze is unneeded. Just make sure when you reinstall the 'slides' that you regrease them.

As Peano recommended use a degreaser, particularly "Brake Clean" works well and like he said leaves no residue. I would also lightly sand the brake caliper to get any roughness off and help the high temp engine paint, or specific caliper paint to stick properly. I would recommend 2-3 light coats of paint with 30-45 min drying time between coats. You will also need 24-48 hour curing time for the paint. So if you plan on added "Galant" stickers on the caliper give the paint time to dry properly, than add the stickers.