PDA

View Full Version : MORE 7G WOES!!! now im without a car ARRGGHHHHH...UPDATED

lonestar22
07-12-2006, 12:45 AM
ok so im going down a neighborhood street today and i turn and realize that i no longer have power steering. i figure no big deal and figure i just have a small power steering leak that's went down a lot. i go into my friends house and stay for maybe 5min. i get back in the car and start driving down the street, about a quarter mile later i notice the temp. gauge is in the red, so i turn around and start driving back down to my friends house, about a quarter of the way there theres a loud popping sound and what i find out to be coolant explodes from the hood and grill. i imediately pull over and turn my car off. theres smoke coming out of the grill now and i wait till it cools down a bit. then i open the hood to fine coolant everywhere and a ruptured upper coolant pipe. i walk to my friends head over to autozone and replace the pipe, then i notice that one of those shitty belts has broken, AGAIN. this has happened to the car many times before when my uncle used to drive it. all day long it squeaks when it first takes off but i thought nothing much of it. until now. after that me and my friends try to get the car home without the alternator. so its running straight off the battery and probably misfiring every 2 cylinders. im sure its running terribly rich and finally lets out a insanly loud backfire and i park it right there and plan to go get it tomorrow. why do the accesory belts on the 7g break so much? are there bearings worn somewhere on the accesory drive? is the belt breaking what caused the water pump from keeping the engine cool?

Proto
07-12-2006, 06:43 AM
clean the crank and altnator pullies.

lonestar22
07-12-2006, 09:37 AM
could there also be something making them not spin freely? like a bearing somewhere or something?

mitsueclipse2019
07-12-2006, 09:53 AM
wow i had the same problem recently,was going to the eye doctor to get my new glasses when the alt belt broke on me and had to replace it and i had the squeaking noise it was from the belt not being tight enough and if this happens should i be worryed aswell? as i have a 95 galant and so far have only replaced 1 belt and really dont want to have to replace it again.

DOHCstunr
07-12-2006, 09:58 AM
i've NEVER had a belt break or jump track on my 7g's
i've had two. my green es from 0miles to 190kmiles(dad gave it to me at 110) and my current GS.

if you are throwing belts, or wearing them out, one of your pulley's is damages, be it the crank, or your power steering pulley.

if your power steering pump is fried i would suggest replacing that assembly(its the exact same pump thats on diamate's 300gt's galants and eclipses so don't blame it on 7g's)
overheating?
well if you snap the belt between the rank and the water pump then you are going to overheat cause the water pump isn't turning.
do your pulley's wobble whne the engine is running?

if you aren't setting the lbelt tension properly then you are going to cause problems such as killing the bearings in your waterpump, tearing the rubber dampener in your crank pulley, or damaging your power steering pump.

i think you need to address the real issue instead of just throwing on belt after belt(never fixing the real problem) and then blaming it on the 7g or mistubishi.

salvsoltero
07-12-2006, 10:17 AM
OMG this happened to me like 4 days ago first my alternator belt broke and then my alternator broke right after i bought a new belt but i would just say to check the tension on ur belts thats wut was wrong with mine ive already changed all my belts like twice... oh and did ur radio go dead first

lonestar22
07-12-2006, 10:26 AM
no my radio never went dead. it was my uncle who would just throw them on time after time without setting the tension right or doing anything right about the situation. now that ive finally got the car running i want im gonna do everything right instead of just rigging things together to keep it running, i dont want to take it to the shop so once i get it to my house i want to take a look at everything and have it apart. ill take pics for you guys so you can help me through this. hopefully theres no expensive damage

mitsueclipse2019
07-12-2006, 03:16 PM
good luck and hope you get it fixed

manybrews
07-12-2006, 05:08 PM
sounds like you have a failing crankshaft damper. QUITE common, and very destructive if left to fail completely (the belts may well crush into the timing cover and timing belt if the circumstances are correct).

lonestar22
07-15-2006, 01:11 AM
well i got around to fixing the belt problem. next up on my list is to take it to the shop and get everything looked at along with the motor mounts replaced on both cars to get everything in good running order. at first the car chirps a little and you could almost always here the belts. now at idle both my 7G and my 8G sound identical. thanks for the help guys. more news later