PDA

View Full Version : gauge and interior instrument bulbs replacement

dlvetoblue
08-13-2002, 12:25 AM
hi, i was just wondering if there's any posts or any info on how to replace the stock bulbs for the gauges and the interior instrument bulbs. also, what bulbs would be needed? I wanted to change the color of the bulbs and upgrade to LED bulbs. i'd appreciate any info responding to this post... thanks...

NRG
08-13-2002, 04:46 AM
Ok, first of all don't get LED for your instrument gauges. It will not shine out because within your gauge assembly, there are clear plastic reflectors which spreads the light source to each gauge. It can be done because regular bulbs emit light in an expanding direction where LED bulbs can only emit light dead straight ahead. So your gauges will not light up well at all.

The bulb size you would need are either 168 or 194. Both of these would fit perfectly. You would need a total of 5 to change them all.

Installation:
First, lower your steering wheel column. Then take a philip screw driver and take off 2 screws at the top of the black trimming. Then that becomes free and you can slowly pull it out. But, don't use force because your dimmer switch is connect to it in the back. Just slowly pull it out until you can reach in and unplug the wire harness. Then there are 4 other screws that holds the gauge. I recommend you to use magnetic tip screw driver for these 4 screws because its easy to drop them in and you will never find it again. After you have done that, slowly pull out the gauge and there will be 2 plugs on each side of the gauge. Unplugs those and the gauge will come out. You will figure it out from there. When putting it back, make sure you don't forget to plug the dimmer switch or else your gauges and your ac/lights will not work.

Hope this helps!!

EsRacer
08-13-2002, 05:18 AM
Where can you get those bulbs from? Any suggestions? Thanks

pinoyesv6
08-13-2002, 11:57 AM
Then there are 4 other screws that holds the gauge. I recommend you to use magnetic tip screw driver for these 4 screws because its easy to drop them in and you will never find it again.

hahaha i lose two...but yea i took apart my dash, the whole drivers side when i did my EL gauges, and yea i found em hahaha, all u have to do is remove that lil panes under the steering wheel and they should be right there.

Where can you get those bulbs from? Any suggestions? Thanks
there are many places out there, but for colored bulbs, don't waste your time and money by shopping online, your loacal auto parts store should have them