PDA

View Full Version : SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!

blowngalant95
07-12-2006, 04:24 PM
ok my baby has been sitting for almost 3 years now and I am getting tired of her sitting. The problem I am having is, the car cranks, and cranks and the motor starts to jump like it is going to start but then it just goes back to cranking. I have air, gas, and spark, so it should be starting. I don't get it. I put a new head gasket on it so for the last thing I did to it and I don't understand it. The motor ran b4 I bent the valve but I had the valve redone and the head shaved and a new gasket put on plus it was all done to a replacement motor cause my old one blew out a crank bearing. I don't want to scrap her, I've put too much time and money into this motor and just the car itself. If someone can please help me and put me in some kinda direction I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Blowngalant95

manybrews
07-12-2006, 05:07 PM
you need to give FAR more information; "just cranks" doesnt really help.

are you SURE timing is correct? Hows fuel pressure? are you SURE you have full spark AT the spark plug? any codes?
there are a hundred reasons a car may not start, and telling us a bit more information that "just cranks" may help immensely.

blowngalant95
07-12-2006, 05:59 PM
well it seems as though it is getting compression but it is just blowin it out. that's what it seems like but i have perfect compression in each cylinder and i have full spark, new plugs, new wires, newer distributor cause the ingnition module went bad on my old on and my timing is all on. I don't know if I am getting any codes cause I had pulled my check engine light cause it is always on due to a manual kick-down transmission out of an old school eclipse. She wants to start, she kicks like she is going to start but just goes back to cranking. The motor jumps and everything like she is going to. If there is a list of things list them. Just so I can start at one end and hopefully find it. If you can't help it's no problem. Thanx.

Stewi
07-12-2006, 09:02 PM
take a plug out of cyl#1 and rest it on the valve cover and make sure it has spark when the motor comes around to TDC ON #1, just to confirm your timing isnt off meaning the cylinders arent firing the correct order and what not. also, did you do a compression test? you can also try using some starting spray in the throttle body to see if it will help it fire up. If you have air, fuel, spark, compression and correct timing, it will start, your missing one of those things. Do you have any ground wires that might be accidentally disconnected? make sure you have fuel pressure, having fuel and fuel pressure is 2 different things, even if there is any fuel in the rails the injectors will fire and it will get some fuel into the cylinder, but maybe not enough to start it. make sure your plugs are gapped correctly too. and as manybrews said, try to describe it a little better

Stewi
07-12-2006, 09:08 PM
hey just another thought, this is way off, but make sure you connected the right wires to the injectors, if somehow you put the wrong one on the wrong injectors, and the injectors were firing on the wrong stroke, that would definetly do it.

7G_Beater
07-13-2006, 08:33 AM
Did you put new gas in or empty out the old? Things are probably gummed up pretty bad from sitting.

blowngalant95
07-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Thanx guys

4-G-rim
07-16-2006, 10:09 AM
-Check Timing is correct
-Check for spark
-Check compression

if those check out ok..check fuel system. Check if the fuel pump is working. If you got bad fuel the car would just run shitty ..but it would still run somewhat. You said your car has been sitting for 3 years right? Things in your tank could of settled and could of gotten into the lines and clogged the fuel filter. If you never replaced your fuel filter..now is a good time to.

7G_Beater
07-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Not just that but the water content could be off the charts and the fuel after that amount of time would be unstable and would burn like crap. Kind of like if you leave gas in your mower over the winter, next sping it is a b!tch to start. I usually drain the tank and reprime with new gas and it will fire.

blowngalant95
07-16-2006, 10:48 PM
I know about the fuel situation and already put in a bottle of dry gas to help it out a little but even so i try the starter fluid in the throttle and she still won't fire but I will try the distributor rotor thing out cause I didn't know that you can put it on more than one way. But thanx again guys for helpin me out.....i hate seeing cars sit and I need to get running again.

Blowngalant95 (Dan)