PDA

View Full Version : '96 Galant S, stock right now, I want to make this fast....

JohnnyBass
11-10-2002, 11:51 PM
Basically I know jack about cars, I want to learn and planning on going under an apprenticeship. I would like to know what would be the best steps to first get this project started. I obviously won't be doing it myself. I got the cash to pay for it.

Thanks,

Jon

pinoyesv6
11-11-2002, 12:37 AM
preventive mainenance and a clean car would be a good place to start peformance wise

and yea cleaning your car does add some peformance

seth98esT
11-11-2002, 01:14 AM
things you could do...or could have done:

intake: short ram or cold air
new spark plugs
new spark plug wires: either ngk or magnecor(these are better)
RPW headers....sometime
CatBlack 2.5" exhaust
new free flow muffler
port and polish intake manifold
Nitrous Oxide:NOS or Zex(easiest to do yourself) or any other brand
new cams
new rods
wiseco pistons

DOHC head swap
with 4g63 exhaust and intake manifolds
14b turbo with FMIC of course

engine swap:
4g63t swap
6g72tt swap(in your dreams)

bunch of other stuff i forget

BEAST
11-11-2002, 03:08 AM
Wouldn't 2.5 be a little too big. As in not enough back pressure. If it is only from the cat back I guess it wouldn't be too bad but just a question.

96TEXASgalant
11-11-2002, 08:28 AM
Just a couple of things to add to the previous. You should try to get some light rims; our cars are extremely heavy already. New shocks ant springs improve handling and launch(important). The cheapest and easiest to do first would be the plugs and wires, CAI, and of course basic upkeep of your car. Just my 2

Kain
11-11-2002, 12:01 PM
Rather than re-hashing a great deal of information that has already been expounded on elsewhere on the site, I'll make my comments short and to the point.

It's a good time to own a Galant. In the past two years aftermarket support has gone from near non-existance to fair abundance. You can build a vehicle that ranges from mildly improved from stock, all the way to a 500+ hp fire breathing monster. The only real limiting factor is the depths of your pockets. Do us (the "older" members) and yourself a favor, and do some searching and reading up around the site, especially the FAQ. Most common stuff has been discussed at great length and can be found much more easily by searching than by re-asking the question. I'll give you a basic rundown of the capabilities of the stock '64 for the sake of argument.

NA: I'd say 250-300 is gonna be about the limit of what you're gonna be able to squeeze from the 2.4 plant sans forced induction or Nitrous and still have the car retain streetability and reliability. Knock about 75 off that if you're shy of internal mods.

Turbo: Well, based on what I know about the 4g63, the 4g64 with it's extra displacement should be able to get up to around 600 or so, assuming that you take all necessary internal precautions. Without, the max you could get just slapping on a turbo would be around 350 and that'd be pushing it

So, that having been said, the question I ask you is: How far do you want to go with your Galant?

bstnsportsfan
11-11-2002, 04:11 PM
I agree with Kain on doing a search. This topic has been brought up many times. In this post, you got an idea of what you can do to the galant. And if you search, you will be able to find a lot more in depth information on all the topics from spark plugs to turbos to engine swap to lowering questions.

Enjoy your galant!

hyer717
11-15-2002, 10:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I obviously won't be doing it myself. I got the cash to pay for it. </div>

Big baller, eh? I guess if you've got the "money" go ahead and put a blown 426 hemi in it, i mean why not, it'll be different! haha

BEAST
11-15-2002, 10:54 PM
RIPPMODS is in the process of making the first supercharger specifically designed for our cars. Look into it. You can look in the Performance Mods section for the 8g or find the link here in the performance for 7g under You Gotta Check This Out.