PDA

View Full Version : Vibrating Idle, Engine Click Sound, and Overdrive Question

JohnnyBass
11-11-2002, 12:22 AM
Ok, First off when I first bought the car I always turned OD off when driving under 40ish and turned it on around 40-50. My dad saw me doing this and yelled at me and told me it should always be on. So I listened to him cause I didn't want to RUIN my car. Ok now my car vibrated quite noticeably when I'm idle in DRIVE, the vibrate tapers off when put into neutral. My engine gives off clicking sounds, I put CD2 engine quieter and the CD2 stop oil burn but it still does it, somewhat to a lesser extent. Any help would be much appreciated thanks. I apologize if these questions have already been answered. I'm new. :wink:

Thanks

Jon

Oh yeah it's a 96 S if that should help at all.

TJC
11-11-2002, 02:03 AM
Over drive is just that, over drive. It's an additional final gear and will not damage the car one way or another but will cause you to use more gas b/c it will not have the extra gear to go into when it can to save gas. And obviously since you have the potential of keeping the engine revving higher b/c of the lack of an over drive gear, there is a very slight possibility of a little more wear. But it's nothing compared to not doing your regular scheduled maintenance.

You either need a valve job or perhaps a tuneup and regular maintenance will help it if you haven't done that for a while.

Kain
11-11-2002, 06:58 AM
Yeah, check your transmission fluid. When the car is warm, after a short drive. Put the car in neutral while it is still running, set the E-brake, and check the fluid level. Chances are, you're low. Be sure to top it off with Mitsubishi Diamond ATF. And don't play with the OD button. You'll just wear it out. The clicking sound is likely your lifters. Don't use engine addatives....they are generally bad. I live with the clicky noise, it's really not that loud. If it really bothers you, get the lifters replaced and the noise will be gone.

manybrews
11-11-2002, 05:37 PM
just leave it on.
you wouldnt drive a 5 speed manual around all day in 4th gear, would you?
no.

its silly to turn it off. there will be absolutly NO reprocussions of leaving it on other than better milage.

jluv97
11-12-2002, 09:10 PM
Have you located the source of the sound. Sometimes things can be misleading. I had a similar noise, it was the heat shield on the exhaust. Make sure it is coming from under the hood before you go tinkering around.