PDA

View Full Version : VR4 Conversions?

SKiLD
11-11-2002, 09:18 AM
I don't think they ever brought the 1998 and up Galant VR4's to the States, cause all the pics I can find have the steering wheel on the right, but since the body styles look the same, shouldn't every part on it be interchangeable with a 99+ US Galant. The Rippmods blower and the turbo kits out there are all nice, but I would love to have awd and a stock motor putting out 280hp.

Another reason I would rather do the motor swap and conversion is top speed. My galant cuts out around 115, and I see people on the 2gstratus forums saying they can get 135 out of theirs, and if they stick the ecu from a 2000 eclipse that it cuts the governer off, 150. The 2 problems are that 1.-the ecu will not work on a straight auto tranny, just the sport auto and 2.-unless the ecu gives the car a whole extra gear, I doubt it would give me an extra 35mph up top.

Anyone looked into this, cause I can hardly find pictures and stats of the new VR4 on the net.

Thanks

burthold
11-11-2002, 12:12 PM
Well, we have hashed out vr conversions in the past. Fact is anything is possible with a ton of money. No all the parts are not interchangeable. It would be cheaper to import a vr-4 and do the conversion work needed on that then trying to get all the parts to retro fit a 99+ galant to the vr-4 package. The vr-4 puts 280hp with the help of a couple of turbos its not all motor. If you want the rev limiter gone off of your ecu send it to jet and have it reprogrammed to pull the rpm/speed govenor off of it.

I envite you to use the search features and read all the threads that deal with VR-4 conversions or motor dropins etc.

Cheers,
Wes

HeadAche
11-11-2002, 07:29 PM
With money anything is totally possible all u need is to find someone reliable to do the swap.. All VR-4's run just one single turbine with stock boost pressure at about 8psi. To do a complete motor swap of a motor that runs on the right hand side not including is all wheel drive would be almost impossible.. Hardly any of the parts on a VR-4 would be interchangeable most incase the ECU which is a must have to get the readings right, not including u would need the all wheel drive tranny which is definatly not a direct bolt on seeing as how our cars are front wheel drive. U would have to retro-fit the chassis and motor mounts just to accomplish any of that.. Best bet if ur looking for a motor swap, look into an EVO III swap my boy is doing one and it seems that is most of our best bets.

Alister_McRae
11-11-2002, 08:39 PM
How much with installation will the evo III swap be shane?

HeadAche
11-11-2002, 09:20 PM
Well from what he has been sayin with all the parts and install, around 6k, but he has other parts added to the list besides the factory stuff..,

Nick VR4
11-12-2002, 03:35 AM
This has been discussed various times
If you have the $$$$$$$$$ anything is possible
VR4's are imported from Japan right hand drive only
Once the USA emmision people get hold of it they will rip it apart
VR4's have to run on 97+ octane fuel
Due the Twin Turbo's all wheel drive AYC etc etc
Servicing is every 4500 miles and is not cheap
Has to be done at a mits dealership as the diognistic computer has to be plugged in to the ECU to get the ayc pump to run to remove all fluid