PDA

View Full Version : car doesn't start

gotendbz1
07-18-2006, 12:29 PM
here the deal, when i turn the key to ignition they car doesnt start. it just clicks once then nothing. I'm able to turn on the eletricity and use the radio and stuff. After turnign it a about 5-10 times the car will start. I'm leaning towards the starter? where is the starter located and can i clean the connections? Could something else be the problem. If it is the starter does anyone have on efor sale? 98 galant. ANy ideas would be nice.

pinoyesv6
07-18-2006, 12:35 PM
the battery and its connections good?

4-G-rim
07-18-2006, 12:52 PM
1. Check and clean battery terminal connections

2. Get battery voltage tested (Local Autozone, Advanced, Pepboys will test it)

3. Tap the starter a few times

Now if its the starter, its located right under the throttle body/intake manifold area. Disconnect your battery before you replace it. It just has 2 bolts holding it to the transmission case.

gotendbz1
07-18-2006, 01:32 PM
do i need to lift the car to get to the starter. I will clean out connection and see what happens

seth98esT
07-18-2006, 01:34 PM
I am going through the exact same thing. Well probably not exact as i think mines deeper then yours.

Check the following:
1) Check the batter posts for corrosion, make sure they are tight and clean

2) Check your grounds. One behind the battery, one that bolts to the transmission to one of the starter bolts, one on top of the intake manifold. Make sure they are connected and not corroded.

3) Get your starter tested. If you remove the starter and take it to AutoZone or Advanced Auto and they will be able to test it. If it tests bad, replace it, if it tests good then onto 4).

4) If your starter is good, your grounds are good, battery is good, theres not much else to check besides the ignition switch on the steering column or maybe the starter relay.

Is it a 5spd or Automatic? Right now, I had my starter tested, tested good, replaced the starter anyway, same issue. Im going to clean up my grounds tomorrow and if that doesnt work I am going to sprint for anew ignition switch.

Let me know if you need a starter, I have a starter now that I have no use for. I can have it tested and if tests out ok I can sell it to you for $30 shipped. But I think reman starters from AZ are around $60-80 with a lifetime warranty which is always good.

mitsueclipse2019
07-18-2006, 08:30 PM
along with the battery if the battery is good try and change the battery terminals to see if that helps the stock ones dont seem to get good contact with the battery but that was probably just me :?

gotendbz1
07-18-2006, 10:30 PM
just tried and car turned on fine again. I'm gonna take it to the shop and get battery tested. Also not that the last two days it has been liek 100 degrees and it did it twice when it sat in teh sun for quite a while, would this have any effect on it?

DOHCstunr
07-19-2006, 09:19 AM
seth if you need a new ignition switch i have one.
but i don't think that would be it. cause if the switch was bad, it woudl always be bad.
but i have a brand new one i never installed.
only takes about 10 minutes to install one. very simple

gotendbz1
07-19-2006, 04:18 PM
tested battery amd was fine. car started today fine a couple of times. I might just change the starter. is this a good idea?

seth98esT
07-20-2006, 01:47 PM
If all your grounds are ok, then take the starter out and have it tested at AutoZone or Advanced Auto. They will test it for free. If the starter is bad then get a new one, if it tests good, then get a new ignition switch or starter relay.

I replaced the ignition switch on my car and it didnt help. I replaced the starter relay and it helped thus far, only time will tell.

dudj
07-20-2006, 02:37 PM
I do have the same problem starting my car in the hot weather... weird https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif . Same problem like his, will just click and nothing. That's only when my car sits under the sun for a long period of time. I guess no big deal as long my car starts. Because my car starts in the morning and night right away.

seth98esT
07-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Weird, are both your guys' cars black by chance?

You would think that if it was a heat issue, then you would also have problems starting the car after it was warmed up.

SpicyGalant
07-20-2006, 04:09 PM
it probably is the starter--- if its not - what about fuel. do u hear ur fuel pump clicking on when u turn key b4 starting - cuz i had that prob once... jus a side note

gotendbz1
07-20-2006, 10:39 PM
changed the starter and havent had the problem since. SO hopefully it is that. Also what else does the starter do beside start the car. Does it have any function once the car is started?

dudj
07-20-2006, 11:13 PM
yeah same here brand new spanking Mitsu starter, new OPTIMA battery and a full tank.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Weird, are both your guys' cars black by chance?

You would think that if it was a heat issue, then you would also have problems starting the car after it was warmed up.</div>

yeah the car is black as you see in the picture and also NO once it started it will start again with no problem. brought it to the local shop can;t diagnose the problem, so brought it to Mistu dealer shop and same they can't find any problem. so, went home with no answer.

seth98esT
07-21-2006, 12:04 AM
Weird, only thing in line with the starter is this, in this order: Ignition switch -> Starter relay(In passenger inner fenderwell if your car has anti-theft) -> starter, and grounds to all.

dudj
07-21-2006, 12:16 AM
yeah weird, winter time no problem on starting at all.