PDA

View Full Version : RPM jumping and car stalling

NotoriousMummy
11-11-2002, 04:20 PM
i have a 96 ES and when i step on the gas to accelerate the car feels like its hesitating then the rpms jump,the rpms jump when my foot is steddy on the gas. since this problem started the car just doesnt accelerate. Another problem with my car is the car doesnt down shift. As i come to a stop the car just jerks and stalls.....just like if u have a standard and u ride 4th gear to a stop. the car has 70K and i have down all the maintence required...the belts, plugs, wires, disturbutor cap & rotor, tranny fluid, colonat changed.... please help me with these problems

Kain
11-11-2002, 04:57 PM
Hmm, definitely sounds like it's in the transmission. First off, I'd say to check your fluid. I've often found this is the cause of about 50% of all sudden transmission problems like this. If the fluid level checks out OK, I'd take it in to a garage and have them hook up a scanner to it. This is gonna cost you what will seem like quite a bit (The shop I used to work for charged $80), but they'll be able to tell you exactly what is wrong with the car (this is occasionally a very extensive process, thus the seemingly high cost. For instance, we once spent about 10 hours chasing down a gremlin in an Explorer) It's likely to be a clutch sticking in third, the final clutch, the transmission computer, or a small part in the valve body. I know that probably dosen't sound overly helpful, but that's the best I can offer.

IllestGalant
11-25-2002, 09:32 PM
You have mentioned many services... please tell me you changed the fuel filter. I can't even begin to tell you how many people complain of tranny problems and it is because they went five years with the same fuel filter. I always find them clogged.