PDA

View Full Version : factory grill

Armageddon Sunset
07-21-2006, 10:29 PM
I used the search button and couldnt find anything on this, what I want to know is with the '00 grill how I would go about cutting out those vertical chrome bars then replace that hole with mesh?

as anyone tried this before and if you have can you post pics?

rez887
07-21-2006, 10:34 PM
Yes you can cut those vertical lines and put some mesh behind it, there should be some topics about that, but you need to use search!

Kalamidad
07-21-2006, 10:39 PM
i've never heard of such a thing. could you add a ralliart of MMC logo to the mesh? That would be piur fiah!!!!

Armageddon Sunset
07-21-2006, 10:44 PM
I already used the search and couldnt find anything....what should I search for exactly?

if I were to put emblems on I would put the mitsu tri-star and the ES badge on it, and a ralliart badge isnt that bad of an idea either, would look awsome. going to look into this.

my master plan is to get an R33 style front end like in icEbErg629's avatar, modify the grill just right stick the GTR badge on the grill.....I would love to pull up behind some people and then they see what they think is an R33 in there rear view, at least a 4 door version.....except for those tailights would give it away.

on that subject would the RB25 or RB26 either DE, DET or DETT fit into a galant engine bay?....I think I read somewhere on this site that the SR20DET would fit.

SLS2000
07-22-2006, 03:45 AM
Im planning on doing it to the next 8g I get which is next July.
the best tool for the job is a Dremel drill. You can do it by hand but it will take way longer. The idea is to cut them as close to the base as possible. Sand whatever is left and use filler where needed.

If your are planning to keep it chrome mask off all the areas so as to not schratch it.

Armageddon Sunset
07-22-2006, 09:32 PM
yeah I will keep it chrome, I think it would look good on a black car, with projectors (I will be getting them in Sept. when I have tge money)

Luccent
07-22-2006, 10:34 PM
believe me, this is WAY harder then it seems lol. i tried it, heres what i did:

1) cut 1/4 away from the frame of it
2) used a file to get it as smooth as possible
3) used filler to try and get everything smooth and flush

well, for one thing, the plastic melts and comes off extremely easily so that made tons of divits and such. then when i put the filler on it just chipped off and would not stick at all... im gonna try next to just make my own grill from scratch. i had started one before and then kinda forgot about it.. ill keep everyone posted

Reelax
07-22-2006, 10:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Armageddon Sunset)</div><div class='quotemain'>I already used the search and couldnt find anything....what should I search for exactly?

if I were to put emblems on I would put the mitsu tri-star and the ES badge on it, and a ralliart badge isnt that bad of an idea either, would look awsome. going to look into this.

my master plan is to get an R33 style front end like in icEbErg629's avatar, modify the grill just right stick the GTR badge on the grill.....I would love to pull up behind some people and then they see what they think is an R33 in there rear view, at least a 4 door version.....except for those tailights would give it away.

on that subject would the RB25 or RB26 either DE, DET or DETT fit into a galant engine bay?....I think I read somewhere on this site that the SR20DET would fit.</div>

no. to all of the above. but hey if you have enough money you can prove me wrong and you would be the first.

Armageddon Sunset
07-22-2006, 10:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Armageddon Sunset)</div><div class='quotemain'>I already used the search and couldnt find anything....what should I search for exactly?

on that subject would the RB25 or RB26 either DE, DET or DETT fit into a galant engine bay?....I think I read somewhere on this site that the SR20DET would fit.</div>

no. to all of the above. but hey if you have enough money you can prove me wrong and you would be the first.</div>

I would love to have the money to prove you wrong on that. it was just curiosity.

Reelax
07-23-2006, 04:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Armageddon Sunset)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Armageddon Sunset)</div><div class='quotemain'>I already used the search and couldnt find anything....what should I search for exactly?

no. to all of the above. but hey if you have enough money you can prove me wrong and you would be the first.</div>

I would love to have the money to prove you wrong on that. it was just curiosity.</div>

the point is, any swap is possible with the the right amount of time and money... the swaps u mentioned would require a RWD conversion or a very custom FWD transimission at the very least, not to mention custom motor mounts and a bunch of fabrication and electrical / computer work etc. minimum cost to do it correctly would b in the $10,000+ range.

mitsuree8thgen
07-23-2006, 04:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Armageddon Sunset)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Armageddon Sunset)</div><div class='quotemain'>I already used the search and couldnt find anything....what should I search for exactly?

I would love to have the money to prove you wrong on that. it was just curiosity.</div>

the point is, any swap is possible with the the right amount of time and money... the swaps u mentioned would require a RWD conversion or a very custom FWD transimission at the very least, not to mention custom motor mounts and a bunch of fabrication and electrical / computer work etc. minimum cost to do it correctly would b in the $10,000+ range.</div>

My thoughts exactly. Hell with the 10K, you might as well pick up a 240SX and drop in the SR20DET and still have money left over for customization. Although, it would be sick to see a SR20DET powered G.

SLS2000
07-23-2006, 06:14 PM
I think the above gentlemen are right. With money, you could put a V8 in a G with rear wheel drive.

But yeah

If you could do something like that,

Pictures, tutorial, audio and video commentary expected.

:laughing: :laughing::laughing:

mitsuree8thgen
07-23-2006, 06:18 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Armageddon Sunset)</div><div class='quotemain'>I used the search button and couldnt find anything on this, what I want to know is with the '00 grill how I would go about cutting out those vertical chrome bars then replace that hole with mesh? Â*

as anyone tried this before and if you have can you post pics?</div>

But to get back to your original question, talk to Phil about that. He had a group buy going on a little while ago for removing the fins on the grill.

Serstylz2
07-23-2006, 06:49 PM
yeh im workin my grill now, for the THIRD time, dremel seems to be overheated so only one side done... this time im gonna sand the fins instead of tryin to cut the fins off while dremeling, thats where my problems came into play

Phil
07-23-2006, 07:21 PM
I do grills. Let me know what you want and I will let you know a price. Right now I'm just purchasing grills and making them into different styles and colors. I'm working on a USDM Liberal Grill as we speak.
Probably gonna sell them on ebay though since they would probably sell faster there.

Armageddon Sunset
07-23-2006, 09:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>My thoughts exactly. Hell with the 10K, you might as well pick up a 240SX and drop in the SR20DET and still have money left over for customization. Although, it would be sick to see a SR20DET powered G</div>

yeah the SR20 is the engine thats in the 240SX / Silvia....and I was thinking RWD conversion anyways.....but enough of that, its just a dream.....

have you seen the grill done by speedracer?
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewt...9035&highlight= ('https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=49035&highlight=')

Im interested in that right now.