PDA

View Full Version : 6a13 to 4g63 conversion

legnumvr4
07-24-2006, 08:36 AM
Hi everyone

I know you probably hate getting these questions, but unfortunately these cars aren't all that common in Australia.

I am looking at getting a Legnum VR4 and installing an Evo 7 4g63 in it.. I have seen Cali's swap, and was wondering if someone could take the time to explain it to me/answer some of my questions.

I have read heaps of info on the swap (on this forum and other forums), but the problem is it all seems to contradict itself. Some say the engine will bolt in, others say that it wont, some say that it will bolt up the the gearbox, others say it will but with slight modifications. I even read one comment about the loom on a Legnum being basically the same as an Evo 8, except it has two extra injector outputs (for the extra two cylinders).

Does anyone have any good links for me or any suggestions as to what I should be looking at?

My most important questions are:

- Do the Evo 4-9 4g63's use the same engine mounts as the 6a13's?
- Do the Evo 4-9 4g63's bolt up to the Legnum's 5 spd gearbox? Am I best sticking with the Legnum drivetrain, or swapping to Evo drivetrain?
- If I swap to an Evo drvetrain, will the Evo gearbox mount up to the stock gearbox mount?
- How different is the wiring for the Legnum, compared to an Evo 7? Is there a preferred model of engine (eg. Evo 5) that would be easier to wire up?
- Would I be better off sourcing an "ST" model rather than a VR4? Is it easier to swap from a 4g64 or 4g93? (I believe these come out in Legnum ST's..?)

Any info/photos/advice that you can give would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

Dutch_MD
07-25-2006, 04:10 PM
it must work.
that's the beauty of mitsubishi, you can fit the 1 engine into another car(also mitsu).
there are always little changes just like the(dont know how its called in english)motorsteunen(dutch word) the metal things where the engine leans an.
and you have to changes the electriciti (into the car).
but its no problem to fit in a evo engine.
but take the gearbox also and put it in.
the gearbox of a vr4 dont fit an a evo.

oooooooooooo and also you can sell the vr4 engine to me :wink: :wink: :oops: :oops:
i need more vr4 engine's and gearbox's.
i mean it.
if you whant to lose it pm, contact me.

Stewi
07-25-2006, 06:10 PM
I had spoken to Mante about this a while ago. his JDM VR4 tranny appears to be identical to an EVO tranny, so with that in mind, the drivetrain shouldnt be an issue. Im not sure about mounts. I know the side mounts should be the same, but the front and back im not sure about. Get me some pics of a legnum engine bay and preferably the mounts. As far as wiring goes, get me a pinout of the legnum wiring harness and I will compare to the EVO harness.

Mante
07-25-2006, 06:31 PM
legnumvr4: Im not sure if a member clubvr4...if not sign up...pay there lil fee and you will get access to there "paying members" side..They may have info on doing a motor swap..I seriously doubt it though...

Answers
1- all are the same exacept the rear mount. on the engine side mount (not the tranny mount) you would need the mount of the 4g63.

2-Rumor has it that the trans will bolt to it..not confirmed..if I were you I'd get the tranny too
3-tranny mounts are the same
4-the pin out is almost identical...2 extra injectors..and a few other MINOR DETAILS...cant remember off the top of my head.
5- that is a good idea since that comes with the small motor I believe if it does come with a small I4 then it would be a direct swap for the 4g63T

legnumvr4
07-26-2006, 03:22 AM

oooooooooooo and also you can sell the vr4 engine to me :wink: :wink: :oops: :oops:
i mean it.
if you whant to lose it pm, contact me

I would mate, but I doubt it would be cheap sending an engine from Australia!

I had spoken to Mante about this a while ago. his JDM VR4 tranny appears to be identical to an EVO tranny, so with that in mind, the drivetrain shouldnt be an issue. Im not sure about mounts. I know the side mounts should be the same, but the front and back im not sure about. Get me some pics of a legnum engine bay and preferably the mounts. As far as wiring goes, get me a pinout of the legnum wiring harness and I will compare to the EVO harness.

There are some engine bay pics here ('http://carlife.carview.co.jp/UserCarPhoto.asp?UserCarID=93927&UserCarPhotoID=228186'). Unfortunately I can't find any specific pics of the mounts, and I don't have one yet, so I can't take any.

This pinout is for a Galant VR4, but I would imagine that they would be the same.
http://i.pbase.com/o4/48/551948/1/58574174.VR4ECUpinout.jpg

legnumvr4: Im not sure if a member clubvr4...if not sign up...pay there lil fee and you will get access to there "paying members" side..They may have info on doing a motor swap..I seriously doubt it though...

Answers
1- all are the same exacept the rear mount. on the engine side mount (not the tranny mount) you would need the mount of the 4g63.

2-Rumor has it that the trans will bolt to it..not confirmed..if I were you I'd get the tranny too
3-tranny mounts are the same
4-the pin out is almost identical...2 extra injectors..and a few other MINOR DETAILS...cant remember off the top of my head.
5- that is a good idea since that comes with the small motor I believe if it does come with a small I4 then it would be a direct swap for the 4g63T

I am a forum member on clubvr4. I might pay to join in the future, but I know that they don't have any info on the conversion.

So I need the "engine side" mount from the 4g63, and a custom rear mount made up? Or possibly use the 4g63 "engine side" mount, and then the rear mount from a "Legnum ST" (which has a 4g93). Would a rear mount from a an 8g Galant (from the US) fit? Maybe I could swap with someone that is planning a 6a13tt swap.

Wiring is something that I know nothing about... When you say there are 2 extra pinouts for injectors, can these just be left "blank"? Or does something need to be done with these?

Thanks fellas - I didn't think I was going to get any replies for a while there. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Dutch_MD
07-26-2006, 12:09 PM

i mean it.
if you whant to lose it pm, contact me

I would mate, but I doubt it would be cheap sending an engine from Australia!

thats ok.
normaly i get my engines from new sealand or japan.
so australia doesnt mather

legnumvr4
07-30-2006, 07:56 AM
Stewi,

I'm not sure if it helps, but here is a an Evo 6 Pinout..

http://forums.evolutionm.net/attachment.ph...tachmentid=3874 ('http://forums.evolutionm.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3874')

Thanks once again.