PDA

View Full Version : Rear sway bar

98ACR
07-24-2006, 08:47 PM
I just picked up all the parts I need off a wrecked GS-T for a mere $65. The parts look BRAND NEW too! Woo...can't wait to get around to installing it.

Sorry, but I'm excited about it.

DOHCstunr
07-24-2006, 09:07 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(98ACR)</div><div class='quotemain'>I just picked up all the parts I need off a wrecked GS-T for a mere $65. The parts look BRAND NEW too! Woo...can't wait to get around to installing it. Â*

Sorry, but I'm excited about it.</div>

good man.

you are going to love it

try to get some polyurethane sway bushings instead of the stock mush ruber.

might as well get your front and rear at the same time...

don't know what size to get?
just put a wrench on the swaybar.
whichever metric size fits snug as a bug on a rug.... thats your size.

just order that size for a mitsu eclipse.

i think you can get them on ebay for pocket change.
trust me they are worth it.

peanotation
07-24-2006, 10:10 PM
very exciting, glad to see someone's doing this instead of the typical weak-ass strut bars. pics must be posted or i'll put a curse on you

jake26
07-24-2006, 10:29 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(98ACR)</div><div class='quotemain'>I just picked up all the parts I need off a wrecked GS-T for a mere $65. The parts look BRAND NEW too! Woo...can't wait to get around to installing it. Â*

Sorry, but I'm excited about it.</div>

yeah definatly, i wish i would find a gs galant on the yard i would snag the sway bar in a min, oh yeah matt your tutorial still active? if so he might wanna look at it, its a best one i have seen or only one..

da1085
08-13-2006, 04:44 PM
ok i was just wondering if anyone had tried puting the 7G front tention bars on the back like a sway bar.....doesn't the fron of our suspension have that bar??? it's kinda limited to find GST eclipses and GS galants at my yard so if the front can go t othe back and we will have more options for our sway bars...

peanotation
08-13-2006, 04:53 PM
i don't think the front bar will fit on the rear....you could try, but i doubt it

da1085
08-13-2006, 04:56 PM
ahhh.....thanks......nah i dont think im going to try it.....

Sleepervr-4
08-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Just picked up a 95 gsx rear sway bar today. Question is I have gst sway bar brackes and wanted to know if they are the same as the gsx? I don't have caps so would be thankfull for the info.

peanotation
08-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Just picked up a 95 gsx rear sway bar today. Question is I have gst sway bar brackes and wanted to know if they are the same as the gsx? I don't have caps so would be thankfull for the info.

they might be slightly smaller. the gst bar is 17mm, whilst the gsx bar is 18mm. the 1mm difference might yield different size brackets, unless they just drilled 1mm bigger hole in the bushings

when you buy urethane bushings, which you should be doing, they will come with brackets as long as you don't buy them specifically for an eclipse, you must buy the universal ones and they will come with the appropriate brackets

edit: just checked caps, the gsx and gst use the same bracket, part number MB515245, bushings and bar are obviously different. buy urethane bushings anyways with brackets

Sleepervr-4
08-14-2006, 02:28 PM

they might be slightly smaller. the gst bar is 17mm, whilst the gsx bar is 18mm. the 1mm difference might yield different size brackets, unless they just drilled 1mm bigger hole in the bushings

when you buy urethane bushings, which you should be doing, they will come with brackets as long as you don't buy them specifically for an eclipse, you must buy the universal ones and they will come with the appropriate brackets

edit: just checked caps, the gsx and gst use the same bracket, part number MB515245, bushings and bar are obviously different. buy urethane bushings anyways with brackets

Thanx for the info.

DOHCstunr
08-14-2006, 03:12 PM
i'm pretty sure you will be allright with the same gst brackets.
as it tuns out,
when i installed my rear RMSDM sway bar, it came with very thin poly bushings and used the stock bushing bracket.
so i think the same deal goes fo the gsx sway bar.

i at one time had a prothane suspension kit in my hands and all the different size rear swaybar bushigns had the same outer dimentions, i assum due to the same size bracket

98ACR
08-14-2006, 10:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'> the gst bar is 17mm, </div>

Of interesting note, the sway bar I got came off of a GST Spyder and only measures 15mm. I could measure it again, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that the convertibles got a smaller rear bar.

da1085
08-14-2006, 11:48 PM
well i just installed my rear sway bar....thanks peano for writing that tutorial....i got everything from a GST spyder.....i had two to choose from:either the gst coupe or the gst spyder.....the one in the coup looked thinner than the one from the spyder so i decided to gofor te one from the spyder since they had the same price......i got everything for $75......sway bar, endl links, bushings, lower control arm and all the bolts.....OMG!! i love how it handles......im planning on getting the better bushings when i get some cash unless someone is willing to send it ot me for free https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

other things that are left for me to do are body work, paint, rims and tires......i cant find a good deal on any of them :cry:

peanotation
08-15-2006, 02:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(98ACR)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'> the gst bar is 17mm, </div>

Of interesting note, the sway bar I got came off of a GST Spyder and only measures 15mm. I could measure it again, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that the convertibles got a smaller rear bar.</div>

i've been noticing i've been wrong lately also. i was told by a trusted source that the gst bar is 17mm, but caps and prothane have changed my mind to the 15mm as well

i have a set of 15mm and 18mm rear sway bar bushings from prothane, name your price

98ACR
08-16-2006, 08:46 PM
I finally got my rear sway bar installed. I don't really know how great it is yet, as I haven't been able to tackle the back roads yet. But from what I've driven so far, it's pretty good, well worth the $50 investment in parts and the hour and a half that it took to install it. The only real problem came from my exhaust which was placed too close to where the driver's side bracket needed to be bolted in, so I had to tighten it in with an open-ended wrench 1/8 turn at a time....NOT FUN!!! But I like it pretty well, and definitely worth it.

Sleepervr-4
03-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Don't want to bring this post from the dead but I just picked up a gst rear sway bar to replace the gsx sway bar I had on the car. I got tired of the rattle from the gsx bar hitting my exhaust. It is 15mm and fits so much better than the 18mm gsx sway bar. If you guys are looking for one you can call gary at http://www.mitsubishigraveyard.com/ he said he might have a couple laying around.