PDA

View Full Version : trying to figure out custom rim sizing 4 widebody

WideBodyGTZ
07-27-2006, 11:39 PM
hey hows everyone doing, alight im in need of some help. i need to order my new rims but thing is i have a widebody on the car now and i have to go with custom rims im the back im gonna go with a 19x 10.5-11 rim and front probably a 19x9. both im guessing i have to go with a negitive offset forsure to even out the rims with the body. correct me if im wrong please but i think the stock gtz rims are 16x7.5 right? with a +40 offset the reason i ask is with my new rims i want the inner rim edge to sit right where the stock one sat and the outter rim will just stretch out wider to the fender which is about 3.5-4inches wider. i was told to tape a string to the fender and let it hang and just measure the distance to where the back of the rim sits on the rotor. i tired getting some shops to figure out the rim thing for me but no one really knew forsure how to do it i was hoping i could get some pointers from you guys. thanks!

njjfudge
07-28-2006, 12:08 AM
You might want to look at some staggered rims for the 350Z or 3000GT. Same luge pattern, more choices.

4g63lover
07-28-2006, 12:14 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(njjfudge)</div><div class='quotemain'>You might want to look at some staggered rims for the 350Z or 3000GT. Same luge pattern, more choices.</div>

ya thats what i was thinking.... this car is gunna be sick.

thebirdman13
07-28-2006, 12:35 AM
you are also going to have to think about the position of your steering components with that width wheel... you may be better off getting something in the 8" range and some spacers....

WideBodyGTZ
07-28-2006, 12:51 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thebirdman13)</div><div class='quotemain'>you are also going to have to think about the position of your steering components with that width wheel... you may be better off getting something in the 8" range and some spacers....</div> not quite catching what your saying about the steering components. i figure as long as my rim doesnt go back any further then where the stock rims sat in i should be fine with clearing from hitting things right?

RedGalant2k1
07-28-2006, 04:06 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thebirdman13)</div><div class='quotemain'>you are also going to have to think about the position of your steering components with that width wheel... you may be better off getting something in the 8" range and some spacers....</div>

Stay away from spacers.

RedGalant2k1
07-28-2006, 04:28 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WideBodyGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey hows everyone doing, alight im in need of some help. i need to order my new rims but thing is i have a widebody on the car now and i have to go with custom rims im the back im gonna go with a 19x 10.5-11 rim and front probably a 19x9. both im guessing i have to go with a negitive offset forsure to even out the rims with the body. correct me if im wrong please but i think the stock gtz rims are 16x7.5 right? with a +40 offset the reason i ask is with my new rims i want the inner rim edge to sit right where the stock one sat and the outter rim will just stretch out wider to the fender which is about 3.5-4inches wider. i was told to tape a string to the fender and let it hang and just measure the distance to where the back of the rim sits on the rotor. i tired getting some shops to figure out the rim thing for me but no one really knew forsure how to do it i was hoping i could get some pointers from you guys. thanks!</div>

Good luck fitting a 10" on a Galant.

What you will need is a wheel with the same backspacing as the factory wheels. I may be wrong, but as far as I know the factory GTZ wheels are only 16x6.5.

To give you some assistance in figuring things out let me explain what backspacing is using a 6.5" wheel with a +45mm offset.

Well we know the wheel is 6.5" wide. Thats 165.1mm. Now the offset of thw wheel is measured from the center of the wheel to the mounting point. In this case the mounting point is +45mm from the center.

This gives us a backspacing of 5.02". To relate this to a 9" or even 10" wheel let me help out. The wheel width in mm is 228.6mm for a 9" wheel. Keeping our same backspacing (5") that would provide us a wheel with an offset of about +25mm. A 10" wide wheel would have a +0 offset.

Maybe this will be a little easier to understand:

[----x-----] - The "x" marks the mounting point, the dash marks represent the width in inches of the wheel.

[----x-----] 9" wheel, +25mm offset, 5" backspacing.

[-----x-----] 10" wheel, +0 offset, 5" backspacing.

If it was me. I would run maximum a 8.5" wheel in front with a 10" wheel in back. Well that is if a 10" can fit at all. Make sure you remember you'll have to keep the tire in mind when sizing all this.

thebirdman13
07-28-2006, 04:29 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WideBodyGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thebirdman13)</div><div class='quotemain'>you are also going to have to think about the position of your steering components with that width wheel... you may be better off getting something in the 8" range and some spacers....</div> not quite catching what your saying about the steering components. i figure as long as my rim doesnt go back any further then where the stock rims sat in i should be fine with clearing from hitting things right?</div>

that's what i was trying to say, just had a brain fart and didn't know how to put it...

RedGalant2k1
07-28-2006, 04:32 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thebirdman13)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WideBodyGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thebirdman13)</div><div class='quotemain'>you are also going to have to think about the position of your steering components with that width wheel... you may be better off getting something in the 8" range and some spacers....</div> not quite catching what your saying about the steering components. i figure as long as my rim doesnt go back any further then where the stock rims sat in i should be fine with clearing from hitting things right?</div>

that's what i was trying to say, just had a brain fart and didn't know how to put it...</div>

Actually no. Putting in a wider wheel may rub the inside fender wells when turning.

Widebody,

Its all test and re-test, and re-test to get the right fitment for a modification like yours.

WideBodyGTZ
07-28-2006, 11:25 AM
oh wow thats alot of great info and help thanks alot guys. but dam i didnt know our stock wheels were only 6.5. im going to measure up the wheel well tonight and see how much exactly wider it is from my back plate and i can probably figure out the rim sizing from that. thanks again guys

pvu_rida
07-28-2006, 11:45 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedGalant2k1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thebirdman13)</div><div class='quotemain'>you are also going to have to think about the position of your steering components with that width wheel... you may be better off getting something in the 8" range and some spacers....</div>

Stay away from spacers.</div>

Yea spacers are a no-no