PDA

View Full Version : What type of plastic is the 99-01 grill made of?

remarque
07-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Does anyone know what type of plastic the 99-01 grills are made of? I seach but could find a answer. I need to because I'm making a custom grill. Bondo and Short hair fibers doesnt bond to grill well and its been so hot and humid the Bondo doesnt dry after two in the sun, even after I sanded the chrome off. If I can find out what plastic its made I can find a solvent and bond the same type of plastic to it.

SLS2000
07-29-2006, 12:33 AM
I dont know what plastic its made of exactly but if you sand the chrome off you will reach a gray plastic to which fiberglass will stick to. Thats what I just used and it works great. messy as hell but it works.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/hidalgo870/100_2099.jpg

ericbla03
07-29-2006, 12:47 AM
If you sand it down and make the surface very rough fiberglass will stick. Or you can get some duramix 40/40 from the autobody supply store.

BTW, the hotter it is, the FASTER the bondo will dry, not slower. And you can always add more hardener.

pinoyesv6
07-29-2006, 06:32 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ericbla03)</div><div class='quotemain'>If you sand it down and make the surface very rough fiberglass will stick. Â*Or you can get some duramix 40/40 from the autobody supply store.

BTW, the hotter it is, the FASTER the bondo will dry, not slower. Â*And you can always add more hardener.</div>

totally agree. i've used bondo on my grille and haven't had any problems with it not hardening. you might want to look at your hardener/bondo ratios to make sure that they are not only correct but mixed well.

DNSerrano
07-29-2006, 09:55 AM
Hello...ABS plastic?

remarque
07-29-2006, 10:16 AM
I mix the ratio correctly and put in on my grill. The short fibers dried quick but after it dried the piece that I filled fell off after I started sanding. When I put the bondo on it just stayed wet and sticky and never dried.

SLS2000 my grill idea is exactly like your, I removed the middle bar too. Instead of using mesh I'm using a perforated PVC sheet.

G-spot
07-29-2006, 10:18 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DNSerrano)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hello...ABS plastic?</div>

wrd. I remember working on the civic lip last summer everyone involved on the project used fiberglass/bondo and all I used was abs repair kit. lol.

remarque
07-29-2006, 11:58 AM
I dont think its abs, because most abs is black.

SLS2000
07-30-2006, 04:01 AM
Im learning that the idea is to use the least amount of Bondo possible. It cracks. This is something I learned while doing a similar project on a Craprice Classic I had. As you can see in the pic the brown stuff was the fiber glass and that worked fine but in order to get it to stick youve got to sand the chrome off till you reach the gray plastic. Once it reaches the plastic it becomes one. You use the bondo as a light fill in. Then after youve sanded everything to level you can hit it with primer/filler. This stuff fills in the minor (real minor stuff).

Next grill I do Im going to try a heat gun and a new idea.

G spot
Where did you get this abs repair kit?

thanks