PDA

View Full Version : When and where my rebuilt tranny should be served?

coolblind
08-02-2006, 02:59 AM
I have got a 96 Galant recently which is now has 98K miles. According to the maintenance record, the previous owner replaced the tranny on the mileage of 75K at AAMCO (Rebuilt Transmission and exchange rebuilt Torque converter). BTW, the price was $2236. :shock:

So, do I need to do a tranny flush or just change the tranny oil and on what mileage? Another thing is where I should go, AAMCO again or a Mitsubishi dealer?

3x.

Joaltava
08-02-2006, 08:23 AM
I think you should take it to the dealer and see what they tell you, sometimes the dealer wont accept the car since it has been modified by another company other than the dealer.

And Damn :shock: thats is alot of money for a tranny that guy got raped nasty

keithert
08-02-2006, 10:24 AM
What should a rebuilt tranny cost?

evil-G-nius
08-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Yeah he seriously got ripped off! I'm sure you could get a BRAND NEW trans for that much somewhere! If it was replaced though, you shouldnt need to do much. Next time you get your oil changed, have them check the trans fluid. Other than that there isnt much to do. If you need to change the fluids...do it. I am not exactly sure how many mile before you should change it though...too often can be a problem I have heard. Guys?

coolblind
08-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Yeah he seriously got ripped off! I'm sure you could get a BRAND NEW trans for that much somewhere! If it was replaced though, you shouldnt need to do much. Next time you get your oil changed, have them check the trans fluid. Other than that there isnt much to do. If you need to change the fluids...do it. I am not exactly sure how many mile before you should change it though...too often can be a problem I have heard. Guys?

According to the owner's manual, the tranny oil should be changed at 30K,60k and 90K. Since this tranny was replaced at about 75K, should I change the fuild at 105K? Then, how about the tranny oil filter?

peanotation
08-02-2006, 01:03 PM
i had aamco rebuild my transmission for $2,300. within a week it was already breaking down again. they refused to believe me, agree with me, or honor the warranty.

stay away from aamco like the plague. they are literally out to rip you off. their attitude and personality changed drastically from before and after i paid them. i paid $2,300 and it still wasn't fixed, and they told me to take a hike? pfff

manybrews
08-02-2006, 03:51 PM
2200 bucks is quite reasonable for that trans.

you may be able to get some hack shop (which I consider AAMCO to be, by the way) for less than that, but a mitsu trans is 2300 bucks alone, not including labor to install it. I prefer to overhaul them, as its usually cheaper for the customer (average about 1800 bucks).
of course, a mitsu trans is going to be a helluva lot better than an aftermarket shops rebuild, but whatever.

the transmission itself can be serviced anywhere by anyone. A mitsu dealer wont "reject" it, because the trans is the same regardless of where it was rebuilt.

evil-G-nius
08-02-2006, 06:35 PM
2200 bucks is quite reasonable for that trans.

you may be able to get some hack shop (which I consider AAMCO to be, by the way) for less than that, but a mitsu trans is 2300 bucks alone, not including labor to install it. I prefer to overhaul them, as its usually cheaper for the customer (average about 1800 bucks).
of course, a mitsu trans is going to be a helluva lot better than an aftermarket shops rebuild, but whatever.

the transmission itself can be serviced anywhere by anyone. A mitsu dealer wont "reject" it, because the trans is the same regardless of where it was rebuilt. No, he said the guy had it replaced at AAMCO for that price! Thats why I was saying that was a bit much. And like Matt said AAMCO is just gonn rip you off

7G_Beater
08-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Ouch AAMCO... you know how that goes when they have to use all those special tools to fix stuff it costs more $, you know all those wrenches, screw drivers, sockets and rachets and stuff. :roll:

Really I would avoid them like there is no tomorrow... find someone locally to help you out. Luckily I know of a good old school mechanic that has connections, if he can't do it, he knows someone that he can take it to that is reliable.

coolblind
08-02-2006, 07:47 PM
Anyway, I find AAMOC are offering a FREE tranny external diagnostic service on his websit(www.aamoc.com). I am just planning to have my car checked in someday next week just for mind of peace.

Thanks guys.

manybrews
08-03-2006, 09:04 AM
No, he said the guy had it replaced at AAMCO for that price! Thats why I was saying that was a bit much. And like Matt said AAMCO is just gonn rip you off
I know he did.. and its still a resonable price.
assuming 12 hours to remove and overhaul it, a thousand for parts isnt all that bad. I would have done it for less, to be sure. And im a "stealership".

I just dont like anything Ive ever seen come out of AAMCO. poor overall quality.