PDA

View Full Version : LEDs in gauge cluster?

btrayed2
08-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Does anyone have pictures of a completed LED conversion in the gauge cluster? I searched, but it seems that all the links are dead. I know of the disadvantages of hotspots and everything, but I'd like to see a few examples before I make up my mind. Thanks in advance.

n3oAcid24
08-03-2006, 12:59 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/FabionCheese/gaugesbefore3.jpg

what you think?

btrayed2
08-03-2006, 01:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n3oAcid24)</div><div class='quotemain'>what you think?</div>

Well that doesn't look bad at all. What type of LED did you use?

n3oAcid24
08-03-2006, 01:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(btrayed2)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n3oAcid24)</div><div class='quotemain'>what you think?</div>

Well that doesn't look bad at all. What type of LED did you use?</div>

speedhut.com has a set of 6 for like $12.99 which isnt bad. i think they are hyper white.

btrayed2
08-03-2006, 01:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n3oAcid24)</div><div class='quotemain'>speedhut.com has a set of 6 for like $12.99 which isnt bad. i think they are hyper white.</div>

Well if you got away with using the round top ones, then I think they would look perfect with inverse or the refractor ones.

pinoyesv6
08-03-2006, 02:03 PM
http://k-lanandreajoy.net/cgi-bin/CIMG99351.jpg

here's mine with some blue inverted cone led's from ebay. i got like 4 for like 5 bucks shipped.

n3oAcid24
08-03-2006, 02:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(btrayed2)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n3oAcid24)</div><div class='quotemain'>speedhut.com has a set of 6 for like $12.99 which isnt bad. i think they are hyper white.</div>

Well if you got away with using the round top ones, then I think they would look perfect with inverse or the refractor ones.</div>

do it man.....

btrayed2
08-03-2006, 02:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>here's mine with some blue inverted cone led's from ebay. i got like 4 for like 5 bucks shipped.</div>

That looks great! What was all the concern awhile back about hotspots and uneven distribution?

pinoyesv6
08-03-2006, 02:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(btrayed2)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>here's mine with some blue inverted cone led's from ebay. i got like 4 for like 5 bucks shipped.</div>

That looks great! What was all the concern awhile back about hotspots and uneven distribution?</div>

me and n3oAcid24 have aftermarket gague faces so the led's only light up the needle not the whole face. but if u used them to light up the whole face, you'd get the hotspots

n3oAcid24
08-03-2006, 02:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(btrayed2)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>here's mine with some blue inverted cone led's from ebay. i got like 4 for like 5 bucks shipped.</div>

That looks great! What was all the concern awhile back about hotspots and uneven distribution?</div>

me and n3oAcid24 have aftermarket gague faces so the led's only light up the needle not the whole face. but if u used them to light up the whole face, you'd get the hotspots</div>

he got it right on the money. so with that said, are you going to get aftermarket gauges?

btrayed2
08-03-2006, 02:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>
me and n3oAcid24 have aftermarket gague faces so the led's only light up the needle not the whole face. but if u used them to light up the whole face, you'd get the hotspots</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n3oAcid24)</div><div class='quotemain'>he got it right on the money. so with that said, are you going to get aftermarket gauges?</div>

I hadn't intended to. I like the stock gauges.

n3oAcid24
08-03-2006, 02:17 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(btrayed2)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n3oAcid24)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>

he got it right on the money. so with that said, are you going to get aftermarket gauges?</div>

I hadn't intended to. I like the stock gauges.</div>

then dont do it. you will get hot spots but i guess its really up to you.

btrayed2
08-03-2006, 02:27 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n3oAcid24)</div><div class='quotemain'>then dont do it. you will get hot spots but i guess its really up to you.</div>

Would this be the case even with these LEDs?

http://www.wardenjp.com/5led18.jpg

The F.B.I
08-03-2006, 04:32 PM
i have LED in mine no probs i'll se if i can get a pic tonight...

raw0055
08-03-2006, 04:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The F.B.I)</div><div class='quotemain'>i have LED in mine no probs i'll se if i can get a pic tonight...</div>

I would like to see them

krispy03
08-03-2006, 10:13 PM
CHECK OUT MY SIG!!!!

Cheekz185
08-03-2006, 10:27 PM
I just replaced my needles today back to stock. I cleared them and put blue 194 bulbs in the back. I need to replace the bulps cuz some burtn out and i am looking for WHITE LEDS but i never heard of these hotspots....What are they? And i like Krispy's guages where did you get them? I looks like they are a diferent style S7 gauge....

btrayed2
08-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Anybody else done this?

fatal1
08-10-2006, 01:53 AM
i did it i used to have glow guages and decided to redo them with leds when the coating got messed up

i changed all the bulbs to 5mm blue leds and then i wired up like 8 8mm leds one under each needle and then a few in other places that were dull one was on top of the plastic where te spedometer is and the other is somwhere near the top of the

they were all hot glued into place whole thing took me about 2hrs with testing etc looks really good imo

i also matched all the other accents with blue leds and or bulbsi will try to take pics soon

btrayed2
08-19-2006, 01:38 AM
Well, I decided to go ahead and try it. And it came out like this:

http://home.comcast.net/~btrayed02/DSC00777.JPG

Lessons learned:

1.) The five LED 194 bulbs work well with even distribution of light.

2.) There seems to be a blue film on the gauges themselves for the 2002s because the LEDs I used were white, yet they appear blue behind the gauges. This would lead me to believe that people could change their gauge colors to a more vivid blue or the light blue like mine, but other colors would not work so well.

3.) LEDs in the HVAC controls do not work. Not even the inverted cones. The light distribution is horrible.

The LEDs I used can be found on eBay (of course) and the following:
superbrightleds.com (http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR&keywords=&cart_id=9068633.19537&next=50)
&
EDIT: I do not recommend purchasing from autolumination. They sell defective products and have some of the worst customer service I have ever experienced. They insisted I return a bad &#036;5 led and sent me a second bad one. After sending that one back, they say they never received it. I would think that for a bulb that must only cost the company a couple bucks to make, they would just send out a replacement to provide better customer service instead of costing their customer additional shipping costs to send back defects.

fatal1
08-19-2006, 01:43 AM
hey man those look great came out really nice looks stock when i did mine i have an 01 but i just made everything the same blue i do have a bunch of white leds laying around though maybee ill try something different

GaLaNtKeV99
09-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Well, I decided to go ahead and try it. And it came out like this:
http://home.comcast.net/~btrayed02/DSC00777.JPG
Lessons learned:
1.) The five LED 194 bulbs work well with even distribution of light.
2.) There seems to be a blue film on the gauges themselves for the 2002s because the LEDs I used were white, yet they appear blue behind the gauges. This would lead me to believe that people could change their gauge colors to a more vivid blue or the light blue like mine, but other colors would not work so well.
3.) LEDs in the HVAC controls do not work. Not even the inverted cones. The light distribution is horrible.
The LEDs I used can be found on eBay (of course) and the following:
superbrightleds.com (http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR&keywords=&cart_id=9068633.19537&next=50)
&
autoillumination.com (http://autolumination.com/194.htm)

Do you remember which were the specific bulbs you used? I was wonder how the actual leds on the bulb, were setup (ex. 6, 12, 18 leds, vertical, overlapped, clustered)?

Thanks

btrayed2
09-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Do you remember which were the specific bulbs you used? I was wonder how the actual leds on the bulb, were setup (ex. 6, 12, 18 leds, vertical, overlapped, clustered)?

Thanks

I used the 5-led matrix bulbs.

http://www.wardenjp.com/5led18.jpg

Flutterbyfilms
10-16-2006, 04:20 PM
How many of these bulbs did you use? thanks.

Flutterbyfilms
10-16-2006, 04:35 PM
I just need them to light up my cleared needles, because I have aftermarket gauges.

Also, do red leds really look red? Because I don't want them turning out orange. What's the point of clearing my needles then, lol.

btrayed2
10-16-2006, 07:59 PM
I just need them to light up my cleared needles, because I have aftermarket gauges.

Also, do red leds really look red? Because I don't want them turning out orange. What's the point of clearing my needles then, lol.

There are five bulbs in the gauge cluster, I don't believe any of them specifically illuminate the needles. The red would look good on cleared needles, but you'd end up with a purple for your gauges unless your using an overlay.

lKoRTy
10-16-2006, 08:27 PM
i used regular red 194 bulb and my gauges are red?? How would the be purple..

btrayed2
10-17-2006, 01:46 PM
i used regular red 194 bulb and my gauges are red?? How would the be purple..

Well, I assume that a red bulb through the blue tint on the gauges would create a purple. Maybe all years don't have the blue tint? All I know is that I wanted gauges that were a true white, but when I plugged in my white LEDs, I ended up with a light blue. The same went for my gear indicator by the shifter. It's the same method used to emit a near white color on the HVAC controls. Shine an incandescent bulb (more yellow that white) through a blue film and end up with white light. The same as those blue coated bulbs people sell that are "Xenon" white.

furiousgtz
10-17-2006, 02:55 PM
offtopic
i have a question
long time ago i clear needs in my car and i put 6 blue bulbs replacing orange ones, but i dont get the blue effect. why? orange gtz gauges is getting boring

4g63lover
10-17-2006, 04:21 PM
offtopic
i have a question
long time ago i clear needs in my car and i put 6 blue bulbs replacing orange ones, but i dont get the blue effect. why? orange gtz gauges is getting boring

I put 6 new blue 194's i say just replace them with L.E.D.'s cuz my 194's faded and i'm pretty sure thats what happened to yours. mine didnt even last a week.... my gauges are effin' white.. again

Flutterbyfilms
10-17-2006, 04:48 PM
There are five bulbs in the gauge cluster, I don't believe any of them specifically illuminate the needles. The red would look good on cleared needles, but you'd end up with a purple for your gauges unless your using an overlay.

I have aftermarket gauges, so no worries about it being purple. I ordered 5 red leds today. I'll put up some pics when I get them in. Should look pretty sweet. Thanks.

polishmafia
10-17-2006, 04:51 PM
offtopic
i have a question

ahh interesting question. ive been thinking about changing the bulbs in my gauges to blue... but i have an 01 gtz. i think, other than the needle itself, the numbers have a slight orange coating on them. any light will make them light up orange.

i dont know this for sure :? but i dont want to rip apart my gauge cluster to find out...

furiousgtz
10-17-2006, 06:12 PM
ahh interesting question. ive been thinking about changing the bulbs in my gauges to blue... but i have an 01 gtz. i think, other than the needle itself, the numbers have a slight orange coating on them. any light will make them light up orange.

i dont know this for sure :? but i dont want to rip apart my gauge cluster to find out...

after i cleared my needs i turn on the gauge and no blue.... so i open the gauge and looked in the back the blue were on but the light did not show on the gauges.

i think the numbers have orage coating on them like u said...well i am getting s7 gauges i m tired of this orange gtz gauges

i like the krispy gauges they are clean.

Flutterbyfilms
10-17-2006, 06:44 PM
Off topic, but still LED related,

Is it legal to change the color of your license plate light? I'm looking at a blue LED for it, but don't want to get pulled over. I'm in Texas. Anybody know about this or do it already? Thanks.

furiousgtz
10-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Off topic, but still LED related,

Is it legal to change the color of your license plate light? I'm looking at a blue LED for it, but don't want to get pulled over. I'm in Texas. Anybody know about this or do it already? Thanks.

ya i think so...
are u talking about one of those autozone or pepboys neon color ricey frame light. 8)

polishmafia
10-17-2006, 07:34 PM
well i am getting s7 gauges i m tired of this orange gtz gauges

x2. love the gtz, hate the gauges

Flutterbyfilms
10-22-2006, 02:15 PM
ya i think so...
are u talking about one of those autozone or pepboys neon color ricey frame light. 8)

I ordered online from superbrightleds.com

I got red leds for my gauge needles, and blue ones for my ac controls, ash tray, glove box, trunk, and license plate. Still waiting for them to get here. It may not look like I'm picturing it, but we'll see.

I still want to replace my dome light with a blue led too, but I've read on here you'd have to rewire it for a 194 led bulb? Any clarification on that? What exactly would I have to do? Thanks.