PDA

View Full Version : Some new mods to look at...

pinoyesv6
11-12-2002, 07:08 PM
K&N CAI

K&N has released its typhoon system for the 3g eclipse. Its a 1 piece intake. and it is made out of black plastic. Does it come in other colors? <span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>No~!</span> K&N designed it strictly as a peformance piece. if you want show go for the otehr intakes. uhm its a 1 piece intake. yea so that means no short ram. again, k&n designed this for peformance not driving thru the puddles. u afraid of water? well @ k&n the test person said the same thing and while the motor was running the guy @ k&n sprayed a hose @ the filter. the took apart the intake and the inside of the tube was clean. ov couse if you fully submerge the filter thats another thing. for more info visit k&n ('http://www.knfilters.com') and club 3g ('http://www.eclipseforums.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68218')

College Studen Catch Can

Remember the one reason y we put breather filters on our cars? to keep the tb clean right? well remember the mess it leaves in the engine bay? remember its illegal? well there is a legal way to have a clean tb and more. its what i call the college student catch can. it consists of a fuel filter that costs like 3 dollars. u put it in the same place u would put ur breather hose. the pcv gasses goes thru the hose thru the filter and into the intake pipe. the oil in the pcv gasses gets caught in the filter and the other gasses pass thru. the oil then just sits there in the bottom of the filter. from time to time all u need to do is either buy a new filter or empty the old one out. the plastic will hold up to the heat. clear is good too. and o yea since the pcv gasses arent' released into the atmosphere, its legal
Click Click ('http://www.tgilmore.com/talon/catchcan.html')

Inline air filter

http://rtec-usa.com/images/inlinecollage.jpg
THis product to me looks very similar to the AEM bypass valve. but, unlike the aem bypass valve, this thing is universal. this thing doesn't doesn't say it is a bypass valve of some sort but looking at my observations by theory, it should work like one. don't quote me on that though. it looks prettier too and is around 45 dollars, about the same price as a aem bypass valve
Click Click ('http://rtec-usa.com')

Hyper Ground System

We've seen this before but i jsut wanted to give a lil bit more info on it. Well pretty much what this system consists of is wires, ground wires. the wround wires bolt onto the ground side of the battery and the other end bolts onto various places in teh engine bay. the way this things works is that it helps the ecu get a better and clearer reading. u can say kinda like a pair of eye glasses. by getting a better ground a better reading can be achieved. the december issue of import tuner did a test on this. but pretty much it says well, regular wire or whatever won't do as good as the real systems because of the purity of the copper in the wire. better copper, more conductivity, less resistance, better ground. home depot wire and even the good audio wire might not be good enough. but yea the gains on this will not only vary upon your car but also @ what rpm. different rpm's will give various results. Somethign u guys might wanna look more into
click click ('http://sunautomobile.com/')

Verticool Custom Grills

http://www.fitzperformance.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/XLVG-1big.jpg

This company will make a grille for your car for 269 for polished and 328.90 for chrome. their page has a few applications but they will do any make and model of car custom if they don't have it on their line. not my kinda thing but maybe for some one else...
click click ('http://www.fitzperformance.com')

and now for a commercial break...

99DE
11-12-2002, 07:51 PM
Good finds https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

mrjaydeeone
11-12-2002, 07:56 PM
very cool finds

Fishboy55
11-12-2002, 08:13 PM
Hey Allan, If you go out to the K&N site and look up the V6 Eclipse, they now list it in red and silver finish. Click Click ('http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/appsearch.aspx')But it's still plastic. And $260 for a plastic CAI is too high for me, I don't care who's name is on it. Just my opinion. I do like the idea that they bolt it to the tranny instead of to the body like all the rest. I just can't get beyond the fact that it's plastic.

Chip

pinoyesv6
11-12-2002, 08:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey Allan, If you go out to the K&N site and look up the V6 Eclipse, they now list it in red and silver finish. Click Click ('http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/appsearch.aspx')But it's still plastic. And $260 for a plastic CAI is too high for me, I don't care who's name is on it. Just my opinion. I do like the idea that they bolt it to the tranny instead of to the body like all the rest. I just can't get beyond the fact that it's plastic.

Chip</div>

yea plastic doesn't sound right from a regular standpoint but remember that plastic is the what the oem intakes are made up of and that plactic doesn't conduct heat as much as metal can. and think about it, its plastic, you have a lesser chance of ur intake getting struck by lightning

Fishboy55
11-12-2002, 08:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey Allan, If you go out to the K&N site and look up the V6 Eclipse, they now list it in red and silver finish. Click Click ('http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/appsearch.aspx')But it's still plastic. And $260 for a plastic CAI is too high for me, I don't care who's name is on it. Just my opinion. I do like the idea that they bolt it to the tranny instead of to the body like all the rest. I just can't get beyond the fact that it's plastic.

Chip</div>

yea plastic doesn't sound right from a regular standpoint but remember that plastic is the what the oem intakes are made up of and that plactic doesn't conduct heat as much as metal can. and think about it, its plastic, you have a lesser chance of ur intake getting struck by lightning</div>
LMAO. Yes I worry about that constantly. That's why I don't drive in a thunderstorm. :shock:

Auto-9
11-12-2002, 09:39 PM
Hehe...what keeps me from the K&N system is that it's not streetlegal...at least, not yet. When it's CARB exempt I might jump ship https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Supernova
11-12-2002, 10:16 PM
On a side note.... how much is the aem cai(with bypass valve) for the 4 banger Galant?

pinoyesv6
11-12-2002, 10:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Supernova)</div><div class='quotemain'>On a side note.... how much is the aem cai(with bypass valve) for the 4 banger Galant?</div>

just go to adventon.com and look it up under teh 3g eclipse. lowest prices...

HeadAche
11-12-2002, 11:25 PM
Nice finds Pinoy, that K&N system looks promising but only in black is not a problem. What interest me is that its plastic and doesnt conduct as much heat as a reguarl aluminum intake would, very interesting to me..

pinoyesv6
11-12-2002, 11:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kemist aka Shane)</div><div class='quotemain'>Nice finds Pinoy, that K&N system looks promising but only in black is not a problem. What interest me is that its plastic and doesnt conduct as much heat as a reguarl aluminum intake would, very interesting to me..</div>

i was noted by chip that it comes in silver and black too. the thing that suprises me is first of all, the info i was using came from the prototyper and his feedback from k&n but uhm the intake is plastic and its part of the typhoon line which consits of alluminum intakes...o well but yea the people @ 3g and the prototyper said that it was plastic. i guess you can kinda convert it to a two piece but i dunno how the MAs and filter look like. but yea plastic is good. i was waiting for the iceman to come out but it never did...

pinoyesv6
11-12-2002, 11:46 PM
ok ok i did more research i can't believe this passed thru my eyes without me noticing but, k&n came out with two intakes. the typhoon and the aircharger. the aircharger is the black one that is a one piece plastic cai. the typhoon is the alluminum short ram that comes in the colors

TJC
11-13-2002, 01:16 AM
Nice finds Pinoy. I especially liked the catchcan idea by using a fuel filter. As for the grill, for that price, I'd get a custom billet one (vertical or horizontal slates). AEM intakes are CARB approved already but need to ask for the sticker. Ground wires..... not just ground wires..... you should also upgrade your charging system wires if you want to be efficient (that would be from the alternator). I made my own grounds but have yet to do the alternator with 4AWG audio wires, hehe; Hyper Ground doesn't even come close and for a fraction of the price. :wink:

HeadAche
11-13-2002, 04:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>ok ok i did more research i can't believe this passed thru my eyes without me noticing but, k&n came out with two intakes. the typhoon and the aircharger. the aircharger is the black one that is a one piece plastic cai. the typhoon is the alluminum short ram that comes in the colors</div>

jOkay so the aircharger is the plastic 1 piece CAI.. What i may do just for the hell of it is buy the aircharger and test that one to see how it would run at the track, besides the AEm CAI and Weapon-R short ram that i use for track use, and see if their any changes in temperature and hp gain...

Fishboy55
11-13-2002, 10:08 PM
Good deal Shane. That would be a great test if you have the bones. I'd be interested to see the reults. You swap to a short ram for the track? I just installed the CAI, so in the spring I'll see if that makes a difference.

Chip

HeadAche
11-13-2002, 11:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>Good deal Shane. That would be a great test if you have the bones. I'd be interested to see the reults. You swap to a short ram for the track? I just installed the CAI, so in the spring I'll see if that makes a difference.

Chip</div>

Yeah i swap to my trust worthy weapon-r just for track use, nothing else.. My AEM CAi is just for daily grind.. I felt i got better responce from my short ram than the CAI, not including times were differnt by about a tenth of a second which is a lot for me.. Im thinking of getting the K&N 1 piece prolly before the year is out, but when i brought up doing this to my boyz they were like just put ur orginal stock intake pipe back in cut the pipe where they kinda bunch up and in most case it would be the same thing.. so im gonna go and do that and see if their is a change in Temp and what it would react like on the track..

pinoyesv6
11-13-2002, 11:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kemist aka Shane)</div><div class='quotemain'> i brought up doing this to my boyz they were like just put ur orginal stock intake pipe back in cut the pipe where they kinda bunch up and in most case it would be the same thing.. so im gonna go and do that and see if their is a change in Temp and what it would react like on the track..</div>

thats been done before. if im thinking right, the mod actually does just as good as a cai but quiet. but thats with the butt dyno. and yea its not as pretty as a cai...or any type of storebought intake @ that

TJC
11-14-2002, 12:00 AM
I don't get it..... why would the short ram that takes air from within the engine bay ever be better than a CAI? or did I miss something. I remember talks about piping dryer airducts to the foglight area for a REAL ram air effect. Perhaps that's a better option to try. Maybe a modified and enhanced stock air funnel that gets more of that air that over the top of the radiator from the grill could also be something to look into.

HeadAche
11-14-2002, 10:23 PM
i brought up doing this to my boyz they were like just put ur orginal stock intake pipe back in cut the pipe where they kinda bunch up and in most case it would be the same thing.. so im gonna go and do that and see if their is a change in Temp and what it would react like on the track..

thats been done before. if im thinking right, the mod actually does just as good as a cai but quiet. but thats with the butt dyno. and yea its not as pretty as a cai...or any type of storebought intake @ that

Well yeah i know a aftermarket one will look much better, but im just thinking of track purposes...

HeadAche
11-14-2002, 10:26 PM
I don't get it..... why would the short ram that takes air from within the engine bay ever be better than a CAI? or did I miss something. I remember talks about piping dryer airducts to the foglight area for a REAL ram air effect. Perhaps that's a better option to try. Maybe a modified and enhanced stock air funnel that gets more of that air that over the top of the radiator from the grill could also be something to look into.

Where not sayin a short ram would out perform the CAi, thats just not possible..What i was saying is when i go to the track i use a short ram weapon-R and just take out my drivers side headlight for me to get the direct ram air effect, because i think my weapon short ram does better than my aem CAI on the track.

pinoyesv6
11-14-2002, 11:16 PM
Where not sayin a short ram would out perform the CAi, thats just not possible..What i was saying is when i go to the track i use a short ram weapon-R and just take out my drivers side headlight for me to get the direct ram air effect, because i think my weapon short ram does better than my aem CAI on the track.

well now if you do it that way, i can see why. less bend for the air to go thru...

TJC
11-14-2002, 11:26 PM

Aah! Hehe, got Shane's secret technique out of him. :wink: Guess if you're not draggin' at night, you wouldn't need to use the headlights and that would be a great way to do it; GOOD THINKING! Pinoy would also be right about a shorter and dirct path with a shorty. :thumbsup:

HeadAche
11-16-2002, 01:08 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kemist aka Shane)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'>I don't get it..... why would the short ram that takes air from within the engine bay ever be better than a CAI? or did I miss something. I remember talks about piping dryer airducts to the foglight area for a REAL ram air effect. Perhaps that's a better option to try. Maybe a modified and enhanced stock air funnel that gets more of that air that over the top of the radiator from the grill could also be something to look into.</div>

Where not sayin a short ram would out perform the CAi, thats just not possible..What i was saying is when i go to the track i use a short ram weapon-R and just take out my drivers side headlight for me to get the direct ram air effect, because i think my weapon short ram does better than my aem CAI on the track.</div>

Aah! Hehe, got Shane's secret technique out of him. :wink: Guess if you're not draggin' at night, you wouldn't need to use the headlights and that would be a great way to do it; GOOD THINKING! Pinoy would also be right about a shorter and dirct path with a shorty. :thumbsup:</div>

I thought everyone knew to do that, since the short ram sits directly in front of the drivers side headlight... I wish i could mod the headlight some how.. My boy has projectors on his integ and he modded them, so that the intake sits right in front of the headlight housing... i dont know why he did it when he is using the FMIC of a supra, didnt know that those damn things are so huge...

TJC
11-16-2002, 01:20 AM
Here's a crazy idea. Go double stack radiator design that's a little smaller in width (this should still clear engine as there is quite a lot of room up front). This way you would have a direct window for airflow from the front of the car to directly into the engine bay. What you do to mod shrouds and piping directly into your intake is your imagination. :thumbsup:

So now you can keep your fogs and keep your headlights!

HeadAche
11-16-2002, 01:39 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'>Here's a crazy idea. Go double stack radiator design that's a little smaller in width (this should still clear engine as there is quite a lot of room up front). This way you would have a direct window for airflow from the front of the car to directly into the engine bay. What you do to mod shrouds and piping directly into your intake is your imagination. :thumbsup:

So now you can keep your fogs and keep your headlights!</div>

Hmmm, interesting never really thought about that..i just worry about it when i go to the track.

TJC
11-16-2002, 02:26 AM
Yeah, they now make very low profile radiators you can put behind your stock one for even more cooling. Maybe you can get two smaller ones to replace the stock one to make the project work. It's just an idea and I'm sure new radiators and radiator hose piping would cost quite a bit too.

HeadAche
11-16-2002, 11:54 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah, they now make very low profile radiators you can put behind your stock one for even more cooling. Maybe you can get two smaller ones to replace the stock one to make the project work. It's just an idea and I'm sure new radiators and radiator hose piping would cost quite a bit too.</div>

When i was on my first motor i upgraded the fan and radiator from Fluidyne, so that really isnt a problem... Getting the engine to run cold isnt to tough really, from a normal motor to my motor is runs about 10-15% cooler depending on the day and if im at the track of course..

TJC
11-16-2002, 01:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kemist aka Shane)</div><div class='quotemain'>
When i was on my first motor i upgraded the fan and radiator from Fluidyne, so that really isnt a problem... Getting the engine to run cold isnt to tough really, from a normal motor to my motor is runs about 10-15% cooler depending on the day and if im at the track of course..</div>

Wow, that's a pretty big difference just by replacing the radiator with a Fluidyne one. Does that also include a fan upgrade or stock fan used with it? I know japanese fans are done pretty well to begin with. I was stupid on my Integra and thought the core was clogged so replaced it and can tell it isn't the same quality like the aluminum stock one. Long story short, still same problem with intermitant overheating. Then I found out from the dealer that all water pumps on Integra's go bad after so many miles and should be changed with the timing belt every time. Figures, I took out thermostat, reverse flushed radiator and engine, and change new radiator only to still have problems, DUH.