PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Options

WarmAndSCSI
08-12-2006, 12:06 PM
I have a dead transmission (55,000 miles) right now and I have the following options:

1.) Have my transmission rebuilt by the dealership for $3000 with their OEM torque converter.

2.) Have my transmission rebuilt by a private shop for $1900 with their own torque converter.

3.) Buy a used transmission (61,000 miles) and have the dealership install it with a high-stall torque converter from Rezlo for a total of $2100.

4.) Buy a used transmission (61,000 miles) and have the private shop install it with a high-stall torque converter from Rezlo for a total of $1855.

5.) Buy a manual transmission (31, 000 miles), track down all of the necessary parts, and install it myself for approximately $1800.

What should I do? Keep in mind I want a transmission that is effective for my SDS setup, and I would like to have a transmission that will last a long time. If you guys think I should do the manual swap, I need to find all of the Mitsu. part numbers for everything I need beside the transmission and clutch.

Insane99
08-12-2006, 12:09 PM
I say do the manual with lsd and upgraded clutch and fly.

pvu_rida
08-12-2006, 12:40 PM
how much are u trying to spend? I'm not really big on manual trannys..... Me I would say let the dealership rebuild it.... cause u have that warranty to fall back on....

WarmAndSCSI
08-12-2006, 12:41 PM
I cannot spend more than $3000 on this whole deal. I really don't want anybody to rebuild it because I won't have my own choice of torque converter.

fatal1
08-12-2006, 01:31 PM
5 speed one of the better prices maybe a bit more of a hassle but you could still have a shop install and save a lot plus it will be much more friendly with that supercharger and go with the lsd/clutch/flywheel

DryBear
08-12-2006, 02:33 PM
There is also the option of buy used auto tranny + high stall converter, and install yourself. Would be pretty much the same as the manual swap minus the steps with the clutch/pedals/shifter.

If you do decide to stay auto, be sure to put on an aftermarket tranny cooler.

If you need part numbers for the manual swap, I have most of them in a spreadsheet and will post them up soon.

WarmAndSCSI
08-12-2006, 10:14 PM
I think I'm picking up an auto tranny off a Stratus Coupe this week and I'll order a HSTC from Tearstone/Rezlo.

How do you recommend I mount the tranny cooler? Should I replace the existing one or supplement it? If I'm adding the tranny cooler, where should I put it?

qnz
08-12-2006, 10:21 PM
i say hstc + used tranny and install it yourself. less steps to do than doing a 5 spd swap. and now you have a quick shifting drag car.

WarmAndSCSI
08-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Do you guys really think I can handle the install of the used automatic myself? I have 2 big jackstands, a 3 ton floor jack, and a friend to help. If I can do it myself, I might as well save $800. On a scale of 1-10 (1 being easiest) what would installing a new auto transmission be? Keep in mind I've done a complete supercharger install myself with fuel system upgrades, so I'm learning quickly! 8)

Thanks for your advice!

pinoyesv6
08-12-2006, 10:58 PM
if you can install a manual tranny, you can install the auto.

think about it. you have an auto now. so installing one will be really similar to taking it out of the car. just backwards.

WarmAndSCSI
08-12-2006, 11:20 PM
How many miles do you think I will have before I have to rebuild this 61k used transmission? I'll have a tranny cooler on it and I'm definitely going to very, very careful not to abuse it. I will probably flush it twice a year.