PDA

View Full Version : Refiberglassing rear bumper

2kgalant
08-15-2006, 12:10 AM
I got rear ended today...bumper is cracked all over the right corner. I have a cyber type 2 bumper. The cracks aren't too bad, can i have my bodyman refiberglass the damage? What do you guys think?

Sillyasianz
08-15-2006, 01:00 AM
Wow. I'm in the same position. cyber 2 rear molded. cracked n spreading. had to buy right side 2nd gen jdm tail again. I'm going to my shop this friday to see a price. I suggest you minimize driving and not wash it. water gets in. bad. driving a lot causes vibration, excells cracks. had two cracks, not touching. now are touching from diving a lot. fix it asap before it spreads...

2kgalant
08-15-2006, 02:30 AM
the shop i go to can't take me till next month :cry:

2kgalant
08-15-2006, 02:48 AM
hey silly...is fiberglassing hard? My dad was trying to tell me that we should refiberglass it ourselves. What materials do i need? Can i purchase all of the materials myself? Am i just refilling all the cracks and then smoothing it out? Can someone explain to me on what goes on when repairing a fiberglass bumper?

pinoyesv6
08-15-2006, 07:24 AM
fiberglassing itself isn't hard.

making it look good is whats hard.

they sell fiberglass repair kits that will give you an idea of what u need. or if you need to do alot, just but alot of fiberglass and resin. but if you say the crack is small the repair kit should be enough.

i'd take the bumper off and clean the damaged areas off. fiberglass the back a lil to reinfoce the damaged areas. then do the front

ericbla03
08-15-2006, 07:28 AM
First of all. Drill a small hole at the END of the crack to stop it from spreading any further.

And yes, you can do it yourself and make it very sturdy. But you would probably want to take it to a shop to finish it up and paint it.

ChikagoGTZ
08-15-2006, 07:50 AM
There is this stuff called Everglass that is really good to use on our bumpers...not the cheapest, but it works very well. I think a Gal is around $45.

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/images/products/evercoat_622_copy.jpg

Or you can use this stuff, but it's not fiberglass reinforced...

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/images/products/poly-flex.jpg

2kgalant
08-15-2006, 08:41 AM
one problem guys, the bumper was molded to the quarter panel. I can't take it off....thats not really the part that got damaged though. The part that is damaged is the right corner of the bumper and the fin on the lower part of the bumper. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow to show you guys what i am talking about. Thanks for all your help guys! I'll keep you guys posted.