PDA

View Full Version : How to change Distributor

chsfinnest
08-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Ive tried searching the side so now im asking, is it hard to install a new distributor. Ive done cupcake work such as putting in a new alternator. If there is a tutorial that i missed then a link would be much appreciated.

Shadow19
08-17-2006, 08:32 PM
Easy as cake.. unbolt the two screws holding the distributor cap. Remove dis. cap. Unbolt the ground on top of the distributor. Unbolt the two bolts on the side of the distributor. Remove the distributor making sure that you DO NOT MOVE THE DISTRIBUTOR CAM. Line the new distributor up as close as you can with the old one. Remove rotor button on old distributor (remeber which way it was on the distributor that you took it off of and put it EXACTLY the same way on the new one). Put the distrubtor in the head (at this point is you have to turn the rotor button once its in the head to make it go in its fine just dont turn it a half circle or anything) bolt it back up.

Note: when i say line up the new one almost exactly like the old one was.. just eyeball it and on the rectangle part at the end of the distributor where it slides into the camshaft there should be one end with a notch cut out of it so thats how you eyeball it.

I hope this helps. It isnt hard at all. As a matter of fact i really dont think it goes in but one way (atleast mine only goes in one way). Good luck!!!

chsfinnest
08-17-2006, 09:39 PM
alright i appreciate the info

bronxbombr
09-15-2006, 06:12 PM
Ya just make sure you get it as close as you can cuz then if not you will knock off the timing and you will not see any good performance out of the car. It will feel sluggish even tho you got your foot on the gas.

98ACR
09-15-2006, 09:56 PM
An old-school shade tree trick:

Get some marking paint (or white-out for you sissies) and make two marks-- one on the distributor housing, one somewhere else you can get a good line-of-sight on. Now line up the rotor button perfectly with your two marks. Now since the rotor button only goes on ONE way, if you line up the button and your two line-of-sight marks you'll be <1* off on the timing.