PDA

View Full Version : shocks, life of...

gaunt773
08-24-2006, 04:59 PM
im looking to drop my car and first i was thinking of going with tien s techs with kyb gr2s all around. then i started to wonder..

how long can i expect the gr2s to last?

my understanding (by reading thru this forum) is that coilovers will last longer than a tien/kyb setup because coilovers are engineered to work together. im not really looking for the absolute best possible ride with a drop soo the higher price of coilovers really discourages me.

but... i will consider coilovers if the average lifespan of the gr2s is less than 2 years.

my car - 2002 galant es, 4cyl. - 17" motegi mr7 - continental 215/45/17
13K miles/year average

pinoyesv6
08-24-2006, 08:38 PM
kyb's are made for suspensions that are dropped at the max of 1.5". tein springs lower your car more than 1.5"

Proto
08-24-2006, 09:08 PM
im dropped lower than 1.5" and my GR2s are still good.

Titanium03G
08-24-2006, 09:58 PM
I have the Tien s-tech and GR-2's with no problem yet. You could always go with the Tien/AGX setup though.

gaunt773
08-24-2006, 11:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>kyb's are made for suspensions that are dropped at the max of 1.5". tein springs lower your car more than 1.5"</div>what do you think would be a better pairing for the s techs? i have been looking at the pics of users who said they have s techs and i do like the drop but im not married to the s techs

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Titanium03G)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have the Tien s-tech and GR-2's with no problem yet. You could always go with the Tien/AGX setup though.</div>how long have you been driving on this setup?

im trying to get an idea of "real-world" part longevity... also, when i drive interstate, i tend to speed (100+) how does well your car behave/respond on your setup?

RedGalant2k1
08-25-2006, 06:22 PM
Most companies recommend replacement of your shocks/struts every 50,000miles for improved steering, stopping, and stability.

malicious
08-26-2006, 08:15 AM
i've asked this same question before and it seems very simple but it's hard to find a straight answer

maybe multiple choice:

GR2s w/ Teins S-Techs should last

a) 6 months
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif 12 months
c) 18 months
d) 24 months
e) 36 months

f) nobody knows

or the milage version

a) 15000
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif 30000
c) 45000
d) 60000
e) nobody knows

4-G-rim
08-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Lowering springs around the drop range of 1.5" with "performance" shocks for example KYB GR-2's will probably have the same lifespan as a factory shock and spring combo. The deal with aftermarket "perfomance" shocks/struts is that they have more of a aggressive dampening features compared to OEM to cater the "performance" needs of the customer.

Coilovers combos, usually the 1 piece style are usually designed for race applications...so ride quality is sacraficed but will take the abuse because thats what they are designed and engineered for.

With the setup you are looking at...you can probably expect around 30,000 miles out if the shock/struts. But the life of expectancy also is based on what road conditions the shocks are exposed to everyday. Basically if you drive mostly on rough, construction type of roads where there are alot of uneven surfaces and dips, etc etc...your shocks won't last as long as the other guy who drives on smooth, even roads majority of the time.

gaunt773
08-26-2006, 03:52 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4-G-rim)</div><div class='quotemain'>With the setup you are looking at...you can probably expect around 30,000 miles out if the shock/struts....</div>thank you for answering my question.

now what about handling at high speed (100+)? i know that a lower, stiffer setup is gonna make it hop a bit more when i hit bumps in the road but how can i expect the car to really behave at this speed?