PDA

View Full Version : Under hood noise related to brake

coolblind
08-25-2006, 01:26 AM
Here, I have noticed a strange noise probably under the hood in my 96 Galant. Let's say when I stop at a red light, especially on a downhill, then the light goes green and I release my brake, and just before the car is going to move, there is the noise. But you hear nothing when you brake to a stop.

I had someone to check the pads and rotors when I did my tires rotation, and they just told me they were FINE. Also, I think it has nothing to do with the engine or the tranny, because I can also hear the noise even I turn off the engine and shift to N.

So, anyone give me some clues. Someone told me it was normal for a ten years old car, but I just want to make sure everything is fine especially the brake system.

pinoyesv6
08-25-2006, 07:52 AM
what kinda noise was it? a burning noise, grinding noise, hissing noise?

coolblind
08-25-2006, 01:29 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>what kinda noise was it? a burning noise, grinding noise, hissing noise?</div>

I think it should be a kind of grinding noise, like a friction between a belt and something else.

coolblind
08-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Can anyone have some new advice? The noise makes me a little tension https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Galant Kid
08-28-2006, 09:33 PM
If it helps any, my grandmother has the same problem with her Ford Contour.

Her's is caused from not stepping on the brake hard enough. I take it you're driving an automatic, right? Well, since she's...lax when it comes to her driving habits, she only barely presses on the pedal when she's fully stopped.

The noise emmited only happens when she's "stopped," not when she's stopping. Basically what is happening with her is because of the automatic, the car wants to creep forward when not enough brake pressure is applied. So the car creeps forward ever so slightly, even though she's on the brakes. Enough friction to keep the car "stopped," but not enough to stop this intensly annoying noise.

I hope this is your problem. Sorry if you think I am insulting your driving if this is indeed the problem, because I'm in no way trying to!

If it's not that simple, take it to a reputable technician. You don't want to gamble with your brakes!

coolblind
08-28-2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks. I get this noise only when I "almsot" release the brake pad, so I hope it is exactly the problem you mentioned.

So, Is every car has the same noise? Or since I think you have a 96 G, can you "make" some noise like this? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif