PDA

View Full Version : Going to paint the interior...

CHICAGO_ONE
08-26-2006, 03:30 AM
So I plan to paint the vents, dome light console, glove box handle,... basically ONLY plastic parts.
Now I understand how to get them off and everything, but I keep reading about sanding. Do I need to sand these pieces, or is it just for the vinyl pieces?

quicksilver22
08-26-2006, 04:26 AM
obviously not reading enough... lol

its better if you were to do so to rough it up a bit, for the paint to adhere better... just search for "painting interior pieces" and go from there

Phil
08-26-2006, 07:58 AM
t I did on N3oacid24's interior was scuff the plastic up and use a filler primer to fill everything in. Then I did two light coats of paint and a lighter coat of clear. I'm sure he has some pics he can show you. If you need help let me know.

Phil

GroceryGetterES
08-27-2006, 12:37 AM
Don't do it.

It makes the interior look cheap, tacky, and ricerish. Not only that but it ruins the resale value of the car.

I've never seen a homemade painted interior that did not look like ass.

alexvr
08-27-2006, 12:45 AM
check out my cardomain pictures on the www icon , i redid the whole interior and it came out lik stock, i did blaack wit gunmetal trim...i juss need my seats and steering wheel, only blakc on black 8g G https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif ...u juss gota kno wut u doin and tak ur time....let me kno if u need some info

chromeblueES
08-27-2006, 12:58 AM
check out my car domain page, I painted my trim too and everyone says that it looks nice. I used a sander some adhesion promoter rust oleum paint and some clear coat.

Armageddon Sunset
08-27-2006, 01:17 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alexvr)</div><div class='quotemain'>check out my cardomain pictures on the www icon , i redid the whole interior and it came out lik stock, i did blaack wit gunmetal trim...i juss need my seats and steering wheel, only blakc on black 8g G Â*:D ...u juss gota kno wut u doin and tak ur time....let me kno if u need some info</div>

how'd you do your interior? I've been thinking about painting the whole interior black for a while now and after seeing yours I want it done now, looks real good, nice and clean.

Im going to keep my trim wood though.

krispy03
08-27-2006, 03:01 AM
make sure you sand and primer first!!

Phil
08-27-2006, 09:16 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GroceryGetterES)</div><div class='quotemain'>Don't do it.

It makes the interior look cheap, tacky, and ricerish. Â*Not only that but it ruins the resale value of the car. Â*

I've never seen a homemade painted interior that did not look like ass.</div>

man you are here to put every idea anyone has down huh? Go buy a honda please!

GroceryGetterES
08-28-2006, 03:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>man you are here to put every idea anyone has down huh? Go buy a honda please!</div>

What's the difference? Painting the dash in either is still rice. I've seen so many cars ruined by rattle can painted interior parts.

While I admit there are a few exceptions most look like trash.

I think the Galant is a nice looking car for show but it has no go.. Just looking at you're "To Buy" list Phil.. let me say all the Carbon Fiber in parts in the world won't make you Galant that much faster.

seth98esT
08-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Painting the dash pieces with a rattle can is fine, you can get some very nice results if done properly.

But for the dash itself, do not spray paint it. The vinyl dash NEEDS to breath and a spraypaint job will just crack and look terrible.

Correct way to change the dash is to dye it or just re-wrap it with the color of vinyl you want. IMO I woudl rewrap it vs dying it, would look much better.

03galantnga
08-28-2006, 05:01 PM
Hey man, what kind of paint did you use for that gunmetal trim? My factory finish on my pieces is starting to wear down and just want it to look factory again. Just wanted recommendations on kinds of paints and brands

Phil
08-28-2006, 08:43 PM
i used duplicolor high performance wheel coating paint. Graphite color.

03galantnga
08-28-2006, 08:45 PM
thanks man

Phil
08-28-2006, 08:45 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GroceryGetterES)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>man you are here to put every idea anyone has down huh? Go buy a honda please!</div>

I think the Galant is a nice looking car for show but it has no go.. Just looking at you're "To Buy" list Phil.. let me say all the Carbon Fiber in parts in the world won't make you Galant that much faster.</div>

thats why they are show parts. I could put my engine mods in my sig but whats the point. It's a looking to buy list, not a looking to buy so my car goes fast list.

alexvr
08-29-2006, 10:55 PM
i used adhesive promoter on all the parts which is a clear primer for plastic pieces, 3 coats and then used vinyl/ fabric paint, about 5 coats and as for the gunmetal trim pieces i used the car paint from autoparts, and then cleared it wit the same brand of paint, u need to be patient and also do it at good weather, read the can to do it rite....i redid my whole interior n doesnt look lik shit at all, if u r juss inpatient and lazy then it will come out lik shit, as for the sanding i tryed one panel and it juss made swirls and crap so i didnt sand nething....i jus cleaned it wit mineral spirit and also soap and water and then let it dry

Qs
09-03-2006, 11:25 AM
ok this should help out

when i first got my car i did some basic newb mods,
and i painted my interior

took all the plastic pieces out roughed them so the paint would adhere better and i painted it all with some vynil paint

it might be coz its cold sometimes up here but it didnt lasted a couples of weeks before it cracked

or stock vinyl is sratch proof therefore it coverewd in dents and cracks

now i took all of them off again took 4 DAYS to sand everything i used some filler primer which i water sanded couple of times each pieces until there all were smooth as a baby's ass lol

then its ready for paint

i should post pics of this since they re all still in black primer and it looks good

it all comes down to time and time lol

8G_GTZ
09-03-2006, 11:44 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GroceryGetterES)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>man you are here to put every idea anyone has down huh? Go buy a honda please!</div>

What's the difference? Painting the dash in either is still rice. I've seen so many cars ruined by rattle can painted interior parts.

While I admit there are a few exceptions most look like trash.

I think the Galant is a nice looking car for show but it has no go.. Just looking at you're "To Buy" list Phil.. let me say all the Carbon Fiber in parts in the world won't make you Galant that much faster.</div>

I want you to define rice. We paint our interior to make it look nice because maybe we want a 2-tone and we don't like the grey plastic shit. How about you shut the fuck up and get off of these boards because all I have seen out of you is put downs and trash talk. Knock it off or get out...

Anyways, if you have the woodgrain, it is a sticker so you have to get that off first by using some sort of adhesive remover and let it soak or sand it with 220 for a while. With all of the plastic parts, start with 220 then use a 320 and 400. I learned in school that as long as you use 400 before you paint anything, it will be fine. Even if you think the texture of the plastic is fine it's not, sand it with 400 at the end and you'll be good. Get some primer(color based on the color paint you are using), then paint 2-3 even coats and let them dry 10min between at about 65-80* and then 2+ clearcoat to your liking with a 10min drytime also.

Steve

CHICAGO_ONE
09-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Well, I plan to keep the woodgrain, maybe even get more for the car. I want to get some two tone in there for more of a luxury look, rather than just a custom look. I don't want the car to pop-out, but look fresh.
I plan on re-doing some of the fabrics, get leather, etc.

...Luxury.

G-spot
09-04-2006, 12:59 PM
instead of painting, just vynl it on and when you have to get rid of it just take it off. no one's hurt on either side of the spectrum.