PDA

View Full Version : this is some wierd s***

fastmgalant97
08-29-2006, 08:26 PM
i drove to autozone today to get some screws for the flip flop trunk mod and i turned the car off and i got out and it was making this wired hissing sound that ive never heard b4 when the car is off but i just thought i was hearing things because of the rain but i was in the store for about 5 minutes when this lady walks in and tells the autozone staff that there is a galant in the parking lot with smoke rolling out from under the hood when i heard it i dropped every thing and ran outside as quickly as possible and popped the hood and my starter was just hissing and smoking really badly.. so bad that i almost threw up from the smell when i popped the hood ...now this is the second starter ive had in under 2 months and they were both brand new!! the first one i had just kept screeching and this one was smoking!!!! does ne one have ne idea what could be causing this problem or do i just need to find a different place to buy the starter from? i got these 2 starters from advanced auto parts

peanotation
08-30-2006, 12:33 AM
what brand are the starters? rebuilt or new? install them yourself, or a mechanic?

i've experienced grinding starters, but never heard of one smoking that much. did you check the connections? i wonder if a short just got out of hand...

B19WHEELS
08-30-2006, 05:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>what brand are the starters? rebuilt or new? install them yourself, or a mechanic?

i've experienced grinding starters, but never heard of one smoking that much. did you check the connections? i wonder if a short just got out of hand...</div>
I have seen a starter smoke like thate b4 acually on a 97 Es model Uaually caused by trying to crank a car several times with a bad or weak battery in it!!

fastmgalant97
08-30-2006, 09:38 PM
um they are duralast import starters and i am a mechanic but i figured it out.... my ignition relay was stuck open and was constaly giving my starter 0.43 volts not enough to engage it but enough to fry it