PDA

View Full Version : Best Manual Swap?

2002GMS
08-30-2006, 12:16 PM
So what is the best manual tranmission out there to get for a swap in a I4 8G? :wink:

IceDouTGaLanT
08-30-2006, 12:37 PM
the 01 kia rio fits are cars Perfectly..and if u search you'll find in detail what you need :roll: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

BigMike
08-30-2006, 01:07 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IceDouTGaLanT)</div><div class='quotemain'>the 01 kia rio fits are cars Perfectly..and if u search you'll find in detail what you need Â*:roll: Â*:lol:</div>

ahaha...newbie, please search...

GOOSEY2099
08-30-2006, 01:09 PM
I love Kia

milo111000
08-30-2006, 05:56 PM
kia??? really??

GOOSEY2099
08-30-2006, 06:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(milo111000)</div><div class='quotemain'>kia??? really??</div>
I'm not gonna answer that, but if you have a 2002 you are gonna have a HELL of alot of trouble getting rid of the CEL codes that come with the manual swap. 02 is not like an 01 the wire harness is different for the ecu so you can't even swap it out for a 2000 ecu that has no problems. Good luck and read my tutorial in my sig

milo111000
08-30-2006, 06:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GOOSEY2099)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(milo111000)</div><div class='quotemain'>kia??? really??</div>
I'm not gonna answer that, but if you have a 2002 you are gonna have a HELL of alot of trouble getting rid of the CEL codes that come with the manual swap. 02 is not like an 01 the wire harness is different for the ecu so you can't even swap it out for a 2000 ecu that has no problems. Good luck and read my tutorial in my sig</div>

that's what i though.... why go kia when u got it made with the 3rd gen..

newguyonblock
08-30-2006, 07:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GOOSEY2099)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(milo111000)</div><div class='quotemain'>kia??? really??</div>
I'm not gonna answer that, but if you have a 2002 you are gonna have a HELL of alot of trouble getting rid of the CEL codes that come with the manual swap. 02 is not like an 01 the wire harness is different for the ecu so you can't even swap it out for a 2000 ecu that has no problems. Good luck and read my tutorial in my sig</div>

so what are us 02 owners to do about the CEL codes then? it wont affect anything will it?

2002GMS
08-30-2006, 10:16 PM

So what do you suggest I do with this I4 2002 Galant. How can I get the most power out of it, without it being a manual, since theres the ecu code issues.:cry: I would assume a manual 2002 Galant is better than a Automatic!

Your sig? :shock:

GOOSEY2099-
Your G looks sleek!

seth98esT
08-30-2006, 10:38 PM
Only reason you would have to get rid of the CEL is for emissions. My CEL is permanantly on, does it bother me? No. I am too lazy to wire up the soleniods that are causing it to be on.

If a little red light bugs you, put a piece of tape over it or disconnect the bulb.

If there is something wrong with the car you will be able to tell from how it drives/sounds. Then just rescan it and ignore the TCU codes or whatever. Sounds good to me?

cntrylvr79
08-30-2006, 10:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2002GMS)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GOOSEY2099)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(milo111000)</div><div class='quotemain'>kia??? really??</div>

So what do you suggest I do with this I4 2002 Galant. How can I get the most power out of it, without it being a manual, since theres the ecu code issues.:cry: I would assume a manual 2002 Galant is better than a Automatic!

Your sig? :shock:

GOOSEY2099-
Your G looks sleek!</div>

You should see it in person. I want jdm because of his car. DAMN YOU ROMAN!!!!!!!!!!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

GOOSEY2099
08-31-2006, 03:16 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Only reason you would have to get rid of the CEL is for emissions. Â*My CEL is permanantly on, does it bother me? Â*No. Â*I am too lazy to wire up the soleniods that are causing it to be on.

If a little red light bugs you, put a piece of tape over it or disconnect the bulb.

If there is something wrong with the car you will be able to tell from how it drives/sounds. Â*Then just rescan it and ignore the TCU codes or whatever. Â*Sounds good to me?</div>
It doesn't work that way here, if you have a check engine light in ny/nj and other areas you won't be able to pass inspection. I'm currently helping David(02galant) with this problem. Right now we are trying to figure out how to get an 01 ecu to work on a 02 g. Seth if you can figure out how to get rid of those solenoid codes that would be one of the biggest contributions to this project. As far as my sig, I meant click the 5spd link in it. You'll find alot of pictures on how to do the swap and what parts are needed. If you want the most bang for the $ in G, I would recoment to go nitros. This is not something i would usually suggest but it will be a lot cheaper then any FI projects. I would also try reading more about this on club3g and remember that "galant/eclipse" + "cheap" are not in the same dictionary.

GOOSEY2099
08-31-2006, 03:17 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(milo111000)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GOOSEY2099)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(milo111000)</div><div class='quotemain'>kia??? really??</div>

that's what i though.... why go kia when u got it made with the 3rd gen..</div>It was a joke

PDT1631
08-31-2006, 05:31 AM
do the 03 I4s have the same problems as 02's. and is there anything to learn from the 3G eclipse to solve these problems.

Strahan
08-31-2006, 09:18 AM
I had a CEL on when I had to get my car inspected.. I just yanked the cluster and removed the bulb temporarily https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

seth98esT
08-31-2006, 09:28 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GOOSEY2099)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Only reason you would have to get rid of the CEL is for emissions. Â*My CEL is permanantly on, does it bother me? Â*No. Â*I am too lazy to wire up the soleniods that are causing it to be on.

If there is something wrong with the car you will be able to tell from how it drives/sounds. Â*Then just rescan it and ignore the TCU codes or whatever. Â*Sounds good to me?</div>
It doesn't work that way here, if you have a check engine light in ny/nj and other areas you won't be able to pass inspection. I'm currently helping David(02galant) with this problem. Right now we are trying to figure out how to get an 01 ecu to work on a 02 g. Seth if you can figure out how to get rid of those solenoid codes that would be one of the biggest contributions to this project. As far as my sig, I meant click the 5spd link in it. You'll find alot of pictures on how to do the swap and what parts are needed. If you want the most bang for the $ in G, I would recoment to go nitros. This is not something i would usually suggest but it will be a lot cheaper then any FI projects. I would also try reading more about this on club3g and remember that "galant/eclipse" + "cheap" are not in the same dictionary.</div>
What codes does it give you exactly? Isnt the trans ECU and Engine ECU the same unit in the 8g? Cant just switch over to an 01 ECU? I swapped to a 2g Eclipse ECU and just had to move around/add a few wires. I wouldnt think that within a year, Mitsu totally changed how the ECU worked in the same model vehicle.

2002GMS
08-31-2006, 10:02 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GOOSEY2099)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Only reason you would have to get rid of the CEL is for emissions. Â*My CEL is permanantly on, does it bother me? Â*No. Â*I am too lazy to wire up the soleniods that are causing it to be on.

It doesn't work that way here, if you have a check engine light in ny/nj and other areas you won't be able to pass inspection. I'm currently helping David(02galant) with this problem. Right now we are trying to figure out how to get an 01 ecu to work on a 02 g. Seth if you can figure out how to get rid of those solenoid codes that would be one of the biggest contributions to this project. As far as my sig, I meant click the 5spd link in it. You'll find alot of pictures on how to do the swap and what parts are needed. If you want the most bang for the $ in G, I would recoment to go nitros. This is not something i would usually suggest but it will be a lot cheaper then any FI projects. I would also try reading more about this on club3g and remember that "galant/eclipse" + "cheap" are not in the same dictionary.</div>

Thanks for the info. Is that possible to throw nitros on a I4?

Reelax
08-31-2006, 12:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2002GMS)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GOOSEY2099)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Only reason you would have to get rid of the CEL is for emissions. Â*My CEL is permanantly on, does it bother me? Â*No. Â*I am too lazy to wire up the soleniods that are causing it to be on.

Thanks for the info. Is that possible to throw nitros on a I4?</div>

yes.

and now that you've got the answer do some reading becasue being spoon fed means you miss a bunch of info that can help you as well. up at the top of this page there is a search link which searches the board for the information you want to see (it's right between the FAQ and member list links). if you still can't find it, click here ('https://www.thegalantcenter.org/search.php'). no when you get there, type in what you are looking for then select "Search for all terms" (it's the second radio button); that will narrow down your results since there are probably hundreds of posts on any question you have. this board, in it's current state, has been up for most of 5 years, and we have 8 thousand+ members; any question you might have has allready been addressed. now if you have a question that hasn't been asked, ie. a very specific or new question, everybody here would most likely try to help. welcome to TGC.

GOOSEY2099
08-31-2006, 12:50 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GOOSEY2099)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Only reason you would have to get rid of the CEL is for emissions. Â*My CEL is permanantly on, does it bother me? Â*No. Â*I am too lazy to wire up the soleniods that are causing it to be on.

What codes does it give you exactly? Isnt the trans ECU and Engine ECU the same unit in the 8g? Cant just switch over to an 01 ECU? I swapped to a 2g Eclipse ECU and just had to move around/add a few wires. I wouldnt think that within a year, Mitsu totally changed how the ECU worked in the same model vehicle.</div>
There are 3 basic types of ecus for the 8g family. 99,00-01,02-03. They aren't interchangeble. If you have a 2001 galant you will have a CEL light but you can allmost easily swap out to a 2000 ecu like i did and everything is fine. If you have a 99/2000 v6/i4 you will have ZERO problems with this swap. Now for the 02-03 thats something that needs to be figured out. Like i said i'm working on this and hopefully we'll be able to get this figured out soon.

mattalicslvr8g02
08-31-2006, 01:06 PM
roman dont you have the eclipse ecu hooked up to ur car that my dad gave 2 u?

GOOSEY2099
08-31-2006, 01:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mattalicslvr8g02)</div><div class='quotemain'>roman dont you have the eclipse ecu hooked up to ur car that my dad gave 2 u?</div> Yeah its the same as a galant

mattalicslvr8g02
08-31-2006, 01:18 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GOOSEY2099)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mattalicslvr8g02)</div><div class='quotemain'>roman dont you have the eclipse ecu hooked up to ur car that my dad gave 2 u?</div> Yeah its the same as a galant</div>

oo ok I thought it might have been different in hp output or somethign like that... and I think my dad said it might be easier to re map for a turbo

jusmills
08-31-2006, 01:41 PM
so you are saying that you will have problems if you swap a manual transmission into a 2002+ 8G. To solve that could you use a 2002+ 3G manual trans + ecu or would you still have the same problem? Or could you just use the corresponding year manual with the 2002+ 8G ecu?

If someone wanted to get really into it, you could pull the 2000 ECU pin diagrams and the 2002+ pin diagrams, compare the two, figure out the difference and reverse engineer a solution. That's alot of trial and error, or if your really good at EE/Comp Sci you could probably do it pretty easily.

seth98esT
08-31-2006, 02:07 PM
Yah, I think you 8gers need a thread dedicated for this. Explain the 3 different types of 8g ECUs, 3g ECUs, difference in the 8g/3g transmissions and speed sensors. And post up some wiring diagrams https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

2002GMS
08-31-2006, 04:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2002GMS)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GOOSEY2099)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Only reason you would have to get rid of the CEL is for emissions. Â*My CEL is permanantly on, does it bother me? Â*No. Â*I am too lazy to wire up the soleniods that are causing it to be on.

Thanks for the info. Is that possible to throw nitros on a I4?</div>

yes.

and now that you've got the answer do some reading becasue being spoon fed means you miss a bunch of info that can help you as well. up at the top of this page there is a search link which searches the board for the information you want to see (it's right between the FAQ and member list links). if you still can't find it, click here ('https://www.thegalantcenter.org/search.php'). no when you get there, type in what you are looking for then select "Search for all terms" (it's the second radio button); that will narrow down your results since there are probably hundreds of posts on any question you have. this board, in it's current state, has been up for most of 5 years, and we have 8 thousand+ members; any question you might have has allready been addressed. now if you have a question that hasn't been asked, ie. a very specific or new question, everybody here would most likely try to help. welcome to TGC.</div>

Thanks! Sorry for the NEWBIE questions! I will begin my study. :shock:

bronxbombr
08-31-2006, 05:45 PM
Yes read on dude, its like school and your training yourself for the big payoff.

milo111000
08-31-2006, 05:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yah, I think you 8gers need a thread dedicated for this. Â*Explain the 3 different types of 8g ECUs, 3g ECUs, difference in the 8g/3g transmissions and speed sensors. Â*And post up some wiring diagrams https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif</div>

X2 good one.. add in a separate forum for tranny swaps too..

bronxbombr
08-31-2006, 05:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(milo111000)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yah, I think you 8gers need a thread dedicated for this. Â*Explain the 3 different types of 8g ECUs, 3g ECUs, difference in the 8g/3g transmissions and speed sensors. Â*And post up some wiring diagrams https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif</div>

X2 good one.. add in a separate forum for tranny swaps too..</div>

Well we dont need to take it that far as to have a seperate forum for tranny swaps, cuz there are TUTS all over the place for that and the forum would just get more congested. But i do like the first idea also.

2002GMS
09-14-2006, 12:32 PM
I found this! Would this be good for a Swap on my 2002 G..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-94-MITSU...16146QQtcZphoto (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-94-MITSUBISHI-ECLIPSE-TRANSMISSION-4WD-5SPD-4G63_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33733QQihZ004QQite mZ140026316146QQtcZphoto)

seth98esT
09-14-2006, 12:45 PM
Sorry, that trans will absolutely not bolt up to your 8g.

You need a FWD trans from an 00+ Eclipse or a newer Stratus.

DryBear
09-14-2006, 12:45 PM
No, you want something from a 2000-2005 Eclipse of the corresponding engine size - RS/GS = I4, GT/GTS = V6

2002GMS
09-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Sorry, that trans will absolutely not bolt up to your 8g.

You need a FWD trans from an 00+ Eclipse or a newer Stratus.

No, you want something from a 2000-2005 Eclipse of the corresponding engine size - RS/GS = I4, GT/GTS = V6

Oh okay! Thanks fellas! I will continue my search...

:D

Does anybody know a reliable source for good manual for my 2002 G! Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks