PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Intake

solofantasy
09-20-2006, 11:49 AM
i am thinking about to take out the Factory Box, and put a new AEM DRY FILTER in. Do you think i will encounter some problems?

I mean i heard ppl from Club 4g, said that just by putting a intake and not anything else, I will acutually lose horsepower. or encounter some idle issues...

i hope it doesnt mess up my timing.

what you guys think? :roll:

furiousgtz
09-20-2006, 12:05 PM
i am thinking about to take out the Factory Box, and put a new AEM DRY FILTER in. Do you think i will encounter some problems?

I mean i heard ppl from Club 4g, said that just by putting a intake and not anything else, I will acutually lose horsepower. or encounter some idle issues...

i hope it doesnt mess up my timing.

what you guys think? :roll:

just buy a intake man
if you dont want to spend money just get ebay intakes...

4-G-rim
09-20-2006, 12:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'> mean i heard ppl from Club 4g, said that just by putting a intake and not anything else, I will acutually lose horsepower. or encounter some idle issues...</div>

Not sure if the 8g and 9g ECU's are similar to the EVO's..but when the EVO guys install a intake and exhaust, it actually hinders the engine performance. This is because the new ECU of today don't adapt as much as the older ECU's. They are set to certain parameters and will only go by them. That is why you hear and see ALOT of EVO guys after they install just a intake, exhaust, boost controller etc etc...they will get a "Reflash" which basically resets and inputs NEW parameters to accomodate the modifications done.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>i hope it doesnt mess up my timing.</div>
It will not.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>i am thinking about to take out the Factory Box, and put a new AEM DRY FILTER in. Do you think i will encounter some problems?</div>

You are better off dropping in a K&N drop in filter which basically replaces the OEM style filter, just Higher flow. Like what Furious says...buy a tube intake w/ a filter, you'll get more results.

Jet Black
09-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Not sure if the 8g and 9g ECU's are similar to the EVO's..but when the EVO guys install a intake and exhaust, it actually hinders the engine performance. This is because the new ECU of today don't adapt as much as the older ECU's. They are set to certain parameters and will only go by them. That is why you hear and see ALOT of EVO guys after they install just a intake, exhaust, boost controller etc etc...they will get a "Reflash" which basically resets and inputs NEW parameters to accomodate the modifications done.

Intresting information dude. Never knew that.

Also I suggest you just pick up a cone filter and a MAF adapter. Use the stock intake pipe.

4-G-rim
09-20-2006, 12:34 PM
I didn't know either till my friend John (Jestr Tuning) explained it to me. I even witnessed it myself when I went to one of his Evo Dyno days of what a ReFlash can do. There was also a article about this too on a issue of Sport Compact Car on how the newer ECU's of today don't respond well to modifications done unlike the earlier 90's ECU's.

Armageddon Sunset
09-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Intresting information dude. Never knew that.

Also I suggest you just pick up a cone filter and a MAF adapter. Use the stock intake pipe.

I did just that went to pepboys bought a large cone(&#036;60ish i think) and a MAF sensor adapter (&#036;15). and just used the stock intake pipe it sits behind the headlight.....it rattled for a while at idle and when stopped at lights until I put a piece of foam under it. that flexible bend was causing the rattling, my question is there any way to stop it from rattling from that bend like a way to mount or anchor it so it doesnt rattle?

pinoyesv6
09-20-2006, 05:58 PM
anchor the MAS to keep it from moving. there are 4 bolts on the MAS to hold in the adaptor. borrow one of those bolts to hold the bracket you fabricated to hold the MAS>

Armageddon Sunset
09-20-2006, 09:38 PM
anchor the MAS to keep it from moving. there are 4 bolts on the MAS to hold in the adaptor. borrow one of those bolts to hold the bracket you fabricated to hold the MAS>

you talking about the factory bolts on the MAS....I had to replace those with longer screws and it just kind of hangs there, (I'll take pics tomorrow when its day to show you)....do you have any pics so I have a better idea how?

4g63lover
09-20-2006, 10:57 PM
I have a full intake on mine short ram for winter and cold -air for summer and its cool noticed a bug bump of power. 2000 I4.

Serstylz2
09-21-2006, 12:03 PM
60 dollars for a cone intake?!?!?!

AVERAGE
09-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Right, thats kinda pricey...

Armageddon Sunset
09-21-2006, 09:47 PM
60 dollars for a cone intake?!?!?!

thats was a very rough guess...the receipt actually says the cone was 42.99 without tax, I paid 62.21 total. the cone fits 2, 2.5 and 3 inch intakes and its over a foot long, mabye 13 or 14 inches.....I didnt take that photo tonight (pissing down with rain) I'll try to get it tomorrow.

Armageddon Sunset
09-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Ok here is my setup, you can see its just resting on a white piece of foam to stop it from rattling.
http://butlercc.facebook.com/photo.php?pid...mp;id=205301891 (http://butlercc.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30500909&id=205301891)

these are the bolts Im using I think they are 1.5-2 inches long got them from home depot, how should I mount it then like you are talking about pinoy?
http://butlercc.facebook.com/photo.php?pid...mp;id=205301891 (http://butlercc.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30500910&id=205301891)

4g63lover
09-27-2006, 10:24 PM
just attach pics to this thread cuz facebook needs login to see those pictures.

Armageddon Sunset
09-27-2006, 11:29 PM
I tried to use the img tags but it came up with an error....and sorry about those links, here is one that should bypass facebook login, and let me share the photos with non-facebook members.

http://butlercc.facebook.com/album.php?aid...891&l=9b08d (http://butlercc.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2021340&id=205301891&l=9b08d)

solofantasy
09-28-2006, 01:08 PM
where did you get the MAF adaptor? 3 or 4 inch?

Armageddon Sunset
09-28-2006, 11:49 PM
I got it from pepboys, the manufactuer is Spectre performance for &#036;15. its a 4 inch adapter. the stock screws aren't long enough (have to use the black adapter plate on 8G's, this adaptor also fits the 7G's just without that black plate) so you'll have to get some new ones like I did, got a washer at the screw end as well as a locking washer by the nut.