PDA

View Full Version : Hood Strength

Auto-9
11-15-2002, 10:57 AM
This is the second time I've busted a hood, but this time it was different. I'm stopped behind a truck at the light, I let up on the gas a little and roll a bit when the light turns green but he doesn't move, so I brake and tap into him without my speedometer even registering a change in speed. My bumper, grille, lights, etc are in perfect shape but my hood is buckled up as if I had struck a deer. I mean honestly, for the amount of weight these hoods carry (I can light my brother's Altima's hood with my pinky for crying out loud, while the Galant's hood could probably sever a hand if lowered from a height any greater than 2 cm) you'd think they'd stand up to minor impact just a little bit better. I know it's for safety and all that they can crumple but this is just a tad bit overkill. Now to shell out another 300 bucks plus labor...yeesh.

Ghost Beat
11-15-2002, 01:41 PM
youch thats some agressive drivin my friend does the same thing but he ended up doing the same thing to his is300 but he learned his lesson fronts are made too fragile for the crash's kinda sux but it can save a life if it was a serious hit i know ive been in 2 tottal wrecks one head on into a pole in winter and tottaled the front and walked out without a scratch car crumpled just as it should have i drive like crazy but bumpin i refrain from tad bit too risky

Auto-9
11-15-2002, 06:02 PM
Yeah I suppose...well at least it did its job and I didn't feel a thing, only clue I had impacted was the loud pop. Actually I might leave the hood the way it is if it's not too dangerous...it's barely noticeable.

toc8g
11-16-2002, 01:01 AM
I swear you must have the worst luck in the whole entire world :scary: !!!

Auto-9
11-16-2002, 01:30 AM
Bah who needs luck :mg: If my insurance will help out I'm gonna get it fixed but if they're gonna be asses I'm just gonna stick it out. It's not that bad.

TJC
11-16-2002, 01:48 AM
I was afraid to post in this thread for fear of some of that bad luck would rub off on me. j/k bro. You just have to learn to stay off the throttle if there are objects in front of your car that are not moving :wink: Here in L.A. gridlock traffic, you learn to anticipate everything and keep the speed identical to traffic and more importantly the same as the vehicle in front of you. Hell, actually, I look at a couple of cars in front of the one directly in front of me and often react to them even faster than the reaction of the car in front of me. You just have to learn to be totally aware of everything. I even go to the extent of looking as far as I can see to track which lanes move faster in traffic and move toward the faster lane way ahead of time so I don't get trapped. Only way to drive here in L.A. :mrgreen:

Auto-9
11-16-2002, 01:54 AM
Actually I've become a better driver than when I first started...I scared my instructor once by hitting the gas instead of the brakes https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif I caught myself before he could realize what just happened...scared the poor girl in the back seat.

TJC
11-16-2002, 02:21 AM
You bust me up bro. :lauging:

Auto-9
11-16-2002, 09:36 AM
Is that good or bad? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif Cause I seem to be a car magnet despite driving for 5 years thus busting folks up or do you find it amusing? 8)

shuura
11-18-2002, 02:36 PM
talk about bad luck... I'm new here, and if it wasn't for a car show (south Jersey) I wouldn't be here today. I'm happy to know that there are others like me who haven't given up on the 8G Galant.

here's my bad luck story: I had just purchased (in June of 2001) my 2000 ES I4 used with only 24K miles on it. I was in love! The complex I live in has my parking spot right in the front, so I can always keep an eye on it. On the second weekend since it's arrival, my wife goes to church that Sunday and calls me saying that there was a huge dent in the hood. I didn't believe her since she didn't notice it before she left. When she returned home, I ran outside to find a huge body size dent and half of a boot print. I was pissed!! I then popped the hood and pushed the dent out but, there are now tiny warps in my hood. It's been that way ever since. How do I get rid of them, and if I can't, where can I get a replacement hood?

ozkrow
11-18-2002, 03:57 PM
thats how cars are made these days. i was backing up and i bumped a pole, i was going less than 5 mph and it did more than 3000 in damage to my back end!!! now that is fuked up!! :shock:

pinoyesv6
11-19-2002, 12:09 AM
I then popped the hood and pushed the dent out but, there are now tiny warps in my hood. It's been that way ever since. How do I get rid of them, and if I can't, where can I get a replacement hood?

i'd first contact a body shop to see if it is repairable and see how much it would cost. after that i would compare it to the price fo a new oem hood or even an aftermarket hood

thats how cars are made these days. i was backing up and i bumped a pole, i was going less than 5 mph and it did more than 3000 in damage to my back end!!! now that is fuked up!! :shock:

what kinda pole did u hit? i run into my basketball court all the time, no damage just small scratches

ozkrow
11-19-2002, 04:28 PM
i hit the back corner where ther is no bumper guards...so it all got crushed in......