PDA

View Full Version : How many 2002 - UP 5spd swaps?

8gV65spd
09-25-2006, 11:35 AM
For almost a year now I have been a 5 spd swap and seem to see no others with 2002 and UP models for the 8th Gen. If you are swapped in this category respond back so that any problems we might have can be resolved by those who have over come them. Also, this will be a good post for future 5 spd swaps to look back on.

For those of you who say all models in the 8th Generation are the same and should have no problem, your wrong. In 1999-2001 mitsubishi galants used mechanical gear driven speedo sensors on their transmissions. 2002-04 they decided that a pointless change needed to be made by removing the mechanical sensor and using input and output shaft sensors, which is fine. BUT, the signal that is converted through the shaft sensors is completely different then your typical speedo sensor.

As for the newer eclipse, they never changed. their transmission layout remainded the same simply because is was more cost effective. So, all replies are welcome, more so for 5spd swaps 02 and newer.

bronxbombr
09-25-2006, 11:39 AM
nice to know bro.

newguyonblock
09-25-2006, 03:13 PM
damn i am glad to see this here, lol although i have not done the swap yet but i will either before i deploy in feburary or when i get back. But was just curious as to know can i use a 5-speed from a 04 stratus (2.4 of course) or did theirs change also. i ask becasue i found a 04 5-speed from a strat w/only 3,000 miles for like 550. i have an 02 i4.

bronxbombr
09-25-2006, 04:45 PM
im not sure about the stratus, ask Seth or Peono about that.

BTW nice Sig, nice and long

DryBear
09-26-2006, 01:03 AM
I'm still in the process of doing the swap, but haven't had any time to work on the car.

I've got an 03 ES V6, and my donor car for the tranny was an 02 Stratus R/T. the Stratus R/T is basically a Dodge 3G Eclipse. Not sure if the 2.4L Stratus would work, though.

Think I missed it somewhere, but what year is your car, 8gV65spd? What car/year was your tranny from? Did you have any problems with the the speed sensor, and if so, what have you done to correct it?

newguyonblock
09-26-2006, 07:31 AM
In 1999-2001 mitsubishi galants used mechanical gear driven speedo sensors on their transmissions. 2002-04 they decided that a pointless change needed to be made by removing the mechanical sensor and using input and output shaft sensors, which is fine. BUT, the signal that is converted through the shaft sensors is completely different then your typical speedo sensor.

As for the newer eclipse, they never changed.

if this is the case then is it possible to switch sensors? i know maybe that was a stupid question. why or why couldnt we. also what solutions have been taken to fix the problem us 02s + have? if any have been taken.

8gV65spd
09-27-2006, 01:24 PM
The first topic I would like to bring up is the wiring for the reverse lights. I will share my info and others with 02 and up models as well can post their replies.

newguyonblock
09-27-2006, 03:39 PM
The first topic I would like to bring up is the wiring for the reverse lights. I will share my info and others with 02 and up models as well can post their replies.

i really hope we can get this problem resolved or something at least, i mean im still researching, because i will be doing my swap next year when i return, so maybe by that time it will be taken care of so then all 8gs will have a painless swap.

bronxbombr
09-28-2006, 03:18 AM
The swap is mad easy, that is when you have all the parts and tools at your disposal. Only thing i think is the V6 might give a lil problems. The 7G's are cake and Ice cream.

We've come a long way baby!!!!!!

8gV65spd
09-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Bronxbombr is right, V6 swaps have come a long way, the swap in general is really easy. It is just unfortuneate for us that they weren't plug and play friendly. With my 03 Galant I didn't have any computer problems and the SRS light never came on. My only problem is the speedo and tripometer. Everything else is gravy. But, I have future plans to just buy an eclipse ECM after all my wiring is complete and fully operational.

DryBear
09-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Bronxbombr is right, V6 swaps have come a long way, the swap in general is really easy. It is just unfortuneate for us that they weren't plug and play friendly. With my 03 Galant I didn't have any computer problems and the SRS light never came on. My only problem is the speedo and tripometer. Everything else is gravy. But, I have future plans to just buy an eclipse ECM after all my wiring is complete and fully operational.

Was your speedo/trip meter just giving wrong readings, or just not functioning at all?

What car was your donor tranny from?

How did you get the auto shifter/cables out? Did you pull all the crap in the middle (heater core, etc) or what I am planning to do which is to just cut the plate out from the engine bay side?

8gV65spd
09-29-2006, 05:03 PM
Was your speedo/trip meter just giving wrong readings, or just not functioning at all?

What car was your donor tranny from?

How did you get the auto shifter/cables out? Did you pull all the crap in the middle (heater core, etc) or what I am planning to do which is to just cut the plate out from the engine bay side?

1. My speedo and tripometer do not function at all, but I love the car so that doesn't stop me from driving it it. I just track my miles by gps to do oil changes and sometimes ground speed if I am worried about the speed limit.

2. My donor car was a 2002 eclipse gt 5 spd. If your donor is going to be an eclipse 01-05 are the years you are looking for.

3. Don't waste your time taking all that crap out like the ac condensor, core, etc. Disconnect your battery, which you should have it removed any way when doing the swap. Remove the srs ecu close to where the cables are and some of the plastic ventalation pieces.
Some of the guys cut the bolts of from the firewall-engine side. I took my time and had the right to tools to squeeze in a wrench to remove the bolts for the shifter cable plate the right way. If anything that is where you should take your time!

I can post some pics to give a better idea of how I did it.

newguyonblock
09-29-2006, 05:27 PM
1. My speedo and tripometer do not function at all, but I love the car so that doesn't stop me from driving it it. I just track my miles by gps to do oil changes and sometimes ground speed if I am worried about the speed limit.

2. My donor car was a 2002 eclipse gt 5 spd. If your donor is going to be an eclipse 01-05 are the years you are looking for.

3. Don't waste your time taking all that crap out like the ac condensor, core, etc. Disconnect your battery, which you should have it removed any way when doing the swap. Remove the srs ecu close to where the cables are and some of the plastic ventalation pieces.
Some of the guys cut the bolts of from the firewall-engine side. I took my time and had the right to tools to squeeze in a wrench to remove the bolts for the shifter cable plate the right way. If anything that is where you should take your time!

I can post some pics to give a better idea of how I did it.

of course now you know pics are always wanted

GOOSEY2099
09-29-2006, 05:28 PM
After doing i4 and doing a v6 i can tell you that they are allmost the same besides the pass side axel. The spedo has allready been figured out by someone here and it works just right. David(02galant) has this done with help from Cali. Reverse lights are the easiest thing to do. So THATS THAT! NOW GET SWAPPPPPING!!

DryBear
09-29-2006, 05:49 PM
After doing i4 and doing a v6 i can tell you that they are allmost the same besides the pass side axel. The spedo has allready been figured out by someone here and it works just right. David(02galant) has this done with help from Cali. Reverse lights are the easiest thing to do. So THATS THAT! NOW GET SWAPPPPPING!!

So what was the solution to the speed sensor problem?

GOOSEY2099
09-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Can't remember, ask David but there was something about reruning the wire from the MT tranny to the inside of the car.

8gV65spd
09-29-2006, 07:13 PM
Hey Goosey you are refering to 02 and 03 models right? Because they are different then earlier gen8 models.

Cali
10-01-2006, 04:04 PM
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/index...showtopic=51116 (https://www.thegalantcenter.org/index.php?showtopic=51116)

wrote you guys up a tutorial and quick explanation. someone owes me lunch. :-)