PDA

View Full Version : It's Official: 2006 Last 4G63, New Evo X Engine: 4B11T

Cali
09-27-2006, 05:08 PM
copied from EVOM

Go check out a Evo SE brochure at your local dealership. It says at the end of the paragraph on the left side:

"Now, as the idol and its believers race into a 10th generation, a new SE Package for the Lancer Evolution IX celebrates every clipped apex, every grazed redline, every hoisted trophy. The final 4G63 takes a victory lap."

Then look over at the far right side, there's a small picture of the Evo X concept. In a more faint and easily overlooked font color, it says 4B11.

Googling "Mitsubishi 4B11", you get to this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_GEMA_engines

Scroll down to the 4B11 and you'll find the 4B11T which they claim on the 2008 Evo X. The fact that it's in a Mitsubishi brochure now, confirms it.

Not sure how I feel right now. Worried, maybe.

SinSere
09-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Very interesting indeed. Nice catch. I don't know how I feel about that either. A new engine design is almost never a good thing at first. An engine thats been tested through every type of application is always more reassuring. Hopefully not the very end of the 4g63t.

Cali
09-27-2006, 05:39 PM
actually at this point, IT IS the end of the 4g63t.

Evofreak7
09-27-2006, 05:40 PM
im worried......I fear change.

all that time and experience in the 4g63 and now there just trading it for something else.

fatal1
09-27-2006, 05:50 PM
yea i agree with SinSere the 4g63 is great it has been in a lot of applications thoroughly tested and all the bugs worked out with this new engine will more then likely begin a lot of tweaking all over again... oh well guess we will just have to wait and see maybee it will turn out a lot better although no evo X swaps lol

seth98esT
09-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Who cares about the engine code? I could care less if the engine code is 4g63 or 4hqiwue2338T. Really they could have named the second revision 4g63t(Evo motor) something else as its a totally different engine and nobody would have cared as it was designed well and handles the power.

I am sure a LOT of engineering has gone into this engine and I highly doubt its going to be much different then the current 4g63t motors.

VegasMatt
09-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Damn Cali, they announced that the X would have a new engine for the Evo at MOD. Kind of not sure to wait for the X or snag a IX.

SinSere
09-27-2006, 11:49 PM
Who cares about the engine code? I could care less if the engine code is 4g63 or 4hqiwue2338T. Really they could have named the second revision 4g63t(Evo motor) something else as its a totally different engine and nobody would have cared as it was designed well and handles the power.

I am sure a LOT of engineering has gone into this engine and I highly doubt its going to be much different then the current 4g63t motors.

I agree, the code doesn't mean shit. And I'm sure a ton of research and developement has been done, but you have to wonder how much they changed it and the issues that go along with that.

DOHCstunr
09-28-2006, 01:28 AM
looks like an end to all the *g** motors.
4b12 is replacing the 4g64.
and the 6b31 is replacing the 6g72

we'll see.

i just hope they stick with the bulletproof cast iron blocks.
aluminum is nice and light,
but sleeving blocks is just a bitch.

milo111000
09-28-2006, 07:52 AM
i wonder then what the "b" would stand for.. i thing the "g" on our engines stands for gasoline type engine..?? correct me if i'm wrong.

DOHCstunr
09-28-2006, 09:25 AM
i wonder then what the "b" would stand for.. i thing the "g" on our engines stands for gasoline type engine..?? correct me if i'm wrong.

nah its just the engine family.

its not like the 6a12 or 6a13 run on alcohol.

9G
09-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Interesting.

Stewi
09-28-2006, 03:25 PM
actually John, from what I have been reading, the new motor is supposed to be aluminum and the exhaust manifold is gonna be facing the firewall now instead of the front. This may pose a problem with turbo upgrades due to the limited space.

4g63lover
09-28-2006, 04:22 PM
wow.... loss of words.... aluminum block?? BLAH!! I dunno I think I'm having a vision of a legend coming to an end. I think I'm about to cry.... I hate it when they discontinue shit... :(

Cali
09-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Damn Cali, they announced that the X would have a new engine for the Evo at MOD. Kind of not sure to wait for the X or snag a IX.

i dont know either. im thinking once i make the move to miami i'll grab a IX instead. the X looks good but i'll wait a few years to see where it goes.

DOHCstunr
09-28-2006, 05:27 PM
actually John, from what I have been reading, the new motor is supposed to be aluminum and the exhaust manifold is gonna be facing the firewall now instead of the front. This may pose a problem with turbo upgrades due to the limited space.

well one plus to that is that you woudl have a almost perfectly straigt back exhaust.
not a single 90* bend. so just like subies you coudl shoot fire with every shift mwaahahahaah

milo111000
09-28-2006, 06:26 PM
wow.... loss of words.... aluminum block?? BLAH!! I dunno I think I'm having a vision of a legend coming to an end. I think I'm about to cry.... I hate it when they discontinue shit... :(

X2 on that .. but then again that's why they've got experts that makes 6 digits to study those damn things.. good luck evo... better get your evo IXs before they become history..

Lazarus
09-29-2006, 09:00 AM
NOel Does this mean your going to do another motor swat...lol :laughing:

DOHCstunr
09-29-2006, 10:59 AM
I will say that since this engine is built for a high boost "beat the hell out of it every day" evo, and since mitsu has by no means lax engine building and design standards....
i'm sure this aluminum block will be built to dominate and last.

just cause its an aluminum bl0ck it doesn't mean its weak.

when i think of honda aluminum blocks i think weak.
but thats mostly because they have such crappy sleeves and can't handle real boost.
but then again, they aren't designed for boost either.

If you are designing/building an engine from the ground up for a purpose(that purpose being a turbocharged class/industry leading rally car) you take certain factors into consideration.

when honda designs civic motors they aren't designing them for the portion of the market that is going to pump steroids into their hard work... they are focused on building a low emmisions engine that is reliable and lasts.

i mean when mitsu designed the first 4g63's, turbocharging engine's was still relatively experimental.... although turbo's had ben around for years, reliability and longevety was always an issue... unless we are talking about juggernaut deisal engines.
But look how long the life of the 4g63t was.
its been going strong for around 20 years with very few changes (and the few were minor) made to the block.

I'm sure mitsu will hit it out of the park with this one.

and just think, the new evo's could be that much lighter.

besides... look at all the changes (for the better) MMC made to the evo over the years.
with all those technological advances, they hadn't applied much to the block itself. mainly because it was so affordable to stick with the same engine design.

Without a doubt given 20 years of real world data, they know what to keep and what to toss when they build this new platform.

Kalamidad
10-01-2006, 12:26 PM
i'm excited, the 4g63 had to replace the previous engine because it was better, and thus the 4g63 has to be replaced.

solofantasy
01-19-2007, 11:23 AM
well, it is the end, 4g63 has been around for a while now.

I mean there is always better technology involving.
but im sure 4g63 will have its name around for times to come. the fame.

good bye g's

p.s. the g's are somewhat more relaible i think.

6G72gearhead
01-20-2007, 06:10 PM
The new motor will not be buildable to the 1000 hp marks the 4g63 is seeing from what I hear 600 hp is going to be a major build. The evo isnt and never will be a drag car, 600hp will be an absolute monster on a road course which is where the evo is most at home. No the new motor will not handle the boost that the 4g63 will but its certainly going to be able to hold it for longer. The move to an aluminum block was for emissions, engines produce the most emissions when cold so an engine that warms up faster is prefferable in the eyes of the treehuggers. The evo may not be as powerful but it will be more reliable, handle better and hopefully weigh less, like hopefully around 3k lbs.

milo111000
01-21-2007, 04:41 PM
forget that!!!!!! i'd say stick with the 63s...