09-29-2006, 06:41 AM
wow nice!

Tech_Greek
09-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Sounded like you're bouncing off the rev limiter between shifts...big nono

gc86
09-29-2006, 01:08 PM
Sounded like you're bouncing off the rev limiter between shifts...big nono

Sounds like it, what im doing is letting off the gas when manually shifting it into 2nd/3rd than stomping back on it when its in gear, bad for the tranny but makes the car jump off when starting the next gear that's why you hear the car rev higher.

Cool.

Nice Porsche in the other lane... :)

It's a M series BMW that ran a 14.5 :)

Tech_Greek
09-29-2006, 02:31 PM
It's pointless to let off the gas, the transmission is going to slide the clutches regardless if you let off during a shift or not, and flooring it's just going to piss off the transmission and burn up the clutches.

Stall It Out (Hold Brake + Gas at line) and let go off brake off line, use sportronic and you'll get the best results, use traction control if you have it as well.

9G
10-27-2006, 02:25 PM
17s? mine feels like 25 secs. :lol:

G-spot
10-27-2006, 04:07 PM
who's exhaust sound was that, your's or his?

gc86
10-27-2006, 07:01 PM
who's exhaust sound was that, your's or his?

Mine of course :-D no cat/resonator + straight-through glasspack muffler

Tech_Greek
10-28-2006, 01:25 AM
LEARN TO LAUNCH YOUR CAR!

Hold down the break and gas at the same time (FLOOR THE GAS, you wont spin the tires, it's not RWD) and let off the brake (while holding the gas down) on the last yellow light.

By the time you hook (which it will spin for a brief ms) you'll be on a green light and off with 2x as good launch.

You can break into 16's with this...I promise

AND DONT DO THE STUPID LIFT OFF WITH YOUR TRANNY, UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET A NEW ONE IN THE NEXT 5k MILES!

rez887
10-28-2006, 01:28 AM
Great vid and sound!

gc86
10-30-2006, 01:07 PM
LEARN TO LAUNCH YOUR CAR!

Hold down the break and gas at the same time (FLOOR THE GAS, you wont spin the tires, it's not RWD) and let off the brake (while holding the gas down) on the last yellow light.

By the time you hook (which it will spin for a brief ms) you'll be on a green light and off with 2x as good launch.

You can break into 16's with this...I promise

AND DONT DO THE STUPID LIFT OFF WITH YOUR TRANNY, UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET A NEW ONE IN THE NEXT 5k MILES!

Bud, I know how to launch my car, and btw torque converter stalling on the 4cyl. is worthless, you get the biggest bog down and the tires don't sqeal for shit. I've experimented with this monthes ago even before I went to the track. I get them to sqeal by just stepping on the throttle a good 1/2 down. And also torque converter stalling isn't good for the transmission either, do you know how hot the ATF gets spinning around inside the TC?

Great vid and sound!

gc86
10-31-2006, 02:36 AM
Here's a video I thought i'd upload for the hell of it, kind of offtopic but still race related, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lZ2K3luyNo

It's my 9G vs a Toyota Matrix XRS, this has the 2ZZ Celica GTS motor in it that is also used in the Lotus Elise hehehe, he pulls on me hard in 3rd when VVTL-i kicks in, we started at a 20mph roll in 1st. Also his car is dyno'ed 190whp with full exhaust/cai and a dyno-tuned piggyback ecu setup.

Sorry about the quality, enjoy

edit: also check out my car @ https://www.thegalantcenter.org/index...mp;#entry542116 (https://www.thegalantcenter.org/index.php?showtopic=51881&st=0&gopid=542116&#entry542116)

Mante
11-06-2006, 10:14 AM
was this taken with a camcorder or a cell phone?? The person didnt realize to zoom in at all. At the end what the hell were they focusing on cuase it wasnt the galant :lol:

gc86
11-09-2006, 08:39 PM
was this taken with a camcorder or a cell phone?? The person didnt realize to zoom in at all. At the end what the hell were they focusing on cuase it wasnt the galant :lol:

hahhahaha! that's what happens when your screen is broken, you don't know what your recording. Not bad though right?

Tech_Greek
11-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Bud, I know how to launch my car, and btw torque converter stalling on the 4cyl. is worthless, you get the biggest bog down and the tires don't sqeal for shit. I've experimented with this monthes ago even before I went to the track. I get them to sqeal by just stepping on the throttle a good 1/2 down. And also torque converter stalling isn't good for the transmission either, do you know how hot the ATF gets spinning around inside the TC?

Listen "Bud",

You obviously don't know anything about racing...

First off, your torque converter stalls to a certain rpm for a purpose, because it is staying in the torque band longer...granted if you have a lower powered motor and a lower stall it would take a second to get back up to your power band but I'll put the title of my car on the line that on any AUTOMATIC CAR WITH A TORQUE CONVERTER that and with a good set of tires if you stall it out (Not to be confused with Neutral Dropping it) you will have a better E/T - 4cyl or not.

Second off, if you're squealing/spinning your tires then you're not accelerating...simple physics here, I want you to put on a pair of slick shoes and go run across ice and see how fast you get to the other side.

Third off, your ATF gets hotter in stop and go traffic, you have a heat exchanger built into the radiator for a reason...since I'm out of warrenty now I'm going to putting a cooler on mine because it will make the tranny run cooler than stock and make the clutches internally last longer.

And again, I'd be willing to bet my car on the fact that your ATF gets much hotter letting off and flooring it during a shift (to put it into simple term's, that's like going up to redline at WOT and slipping the clutch through) than it would be to stall your torque converter out for a second.

GRANTED...you sit there and stall your car out at every light you will burn the clutches up without an upgraded cooler.

gc86
11-10-2006, 09:14 PM
I think your getting a little one sided, keep in mind, your V6 is much more powerful than my car. I've seen videos of V6 9Gs spinning the tires the whole 1st gear. The 4cyl does not do that, i've tryed both stalling out and just going 1/3 into the throttle, stalling is useless in this car. It just bogs like hell, you don't even any type of pull when you let go of the brake pedal. If I were to just stomp on it, the tires chirp just a bit but you launch much harder than if I were to stall it out like your telling me too. You'd agree with me if you had this car, trust me.

Tech_Greek
11-11-2006, 05:39 PM
I think your getting a little one sided, keep in mind, your V6 is much more powerful than my car. I've seen videos of V6 9Gs spinning the tires the whole 1st gear. The 4cyl does not do that, i've tryed both stalling out and just going 1/3 into the throttle, stalling is useless in this car. It just bogs like hell, you don't even any type of pull when you let go of the brake pedal. If I were to just stomp on it, the tires chirp just a bit but you launch much harder than if I were to stall it out like your telling me too. You'd agree with me if you had this car, trust me.

It does not matter...you're using the torque converter whether you flat foot it or stall it out (look at your rpm's when you flat foot it, I betcha they stop at right around 1,500 - 2,500 RPM for a brief moment)...

Again, you're not supposed to be squealing or chirping the tires, it's pointless because you're in a FWD - you want as much traction as possible.

I've actually raced an I4 Galant and then raced it against my V6...I did better than the other guy launching wise everytime...I actually beat my v6 off the line with him flat footing it and me stalling it out but when I didn't stall it out he beat me (flat foot vs flat foot).

I promise you, go to the track and race your car BOTH style's you'll be pleasently suprised when you are faster down the track...keep in mind E/T's aren't everything (those are more like penis braging rights) it's about who makes it down the track first (i.e. traction) as the last time I was at the track I beat a TT Supra that was running a 14.5 consistently but he also spun all the way through first and had a horrible reaction time (watch my video of me racing the turbo'ed Scion Tc and you'll see he starts to catch me at about 120...quarter miles over though at 93 for me).

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...deoID=968069425 (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=968069425)

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...deoID=858181256 (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=858181256)

gc86
11-13-2006, 10:55 PM
If I ever go back to the track with this Galant, i'll be sure to use your techniques. Have you raced any other V6 cars?

Tech_Greek
11-14-2006, 02:49 PM
A few, everyone of them I beat though because this model is a bit lighter than the luxury model (I have the base V6) and I know how to launch my automatic! :)

Taken out a lot of V6 Camaro's, V6 Mustang's, etc

Xrs2
11-15-2006, 12:11 PM
Listen "Bud",

[...] any AUTOMATIC CAR WITH A TORQUE CONVERTER that and [...]

Every auto has a TC, or do you mean HSTC?

Tech_Greek
11-22-2006, 10:42 PM
heh,

It was more along the lines of a smart ass comment! :P

6G72gearhead
11-22-2006, 11:09 PM
With my '01 V6 I can beat V6 mustangs and camaro's, how much do you beat them by as I'd expect the 9g to be faster than me.

Tech_Greek
11-30-2006, 05:08 PM
With my '01 V6 I can beat V6 mustangs and camaro's, how much do you beat them by as I'd expect the 9g to be faster than me.

From 0-100 MPH they are specs in my rear view mirror.

Not to be confused with modded V6 mustangs or Camaro's which will sneak up in bite you in the ass (my only loss in my Galant, a heavily modded v6 mustang)

04_GTS_Galant
01-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Nice runs man, I'm lookin to do some perf. mods to my G when my warranty runs out. Hopefully there will be more things out there for us by end of this year..

Good tips for racing.. I always used to turn TCL off, but I will leave it on now for launching off the light. I spin anyway, but the TCL cuts my power big time since the stock RS-A's suck big time for traction.

I've beat all stock.. 1.8T VW's, Audi A4 1.8T's, V6 Mustangs, older Maxima's (the 04+'s are faster than our cars), V6 Accords, Altima's.. and bunch more.. mainly 4cyl and V6 cars..

Kilsom
02-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Sounds like it, what im doing is letting off the gas when manually shifting it into 2nd/3rd than stomping back on it when its in gear, bad for the tranny but makes the car jump off when starting the next gear that's why you hear the car rev higher.

This works way better then stalling it... I have tried both and this method works best though harder on your tranny.... I plan on finding a 4G eclipse or lancer to trade out the stock Auto G tranny for the 5-speed.... *shrug* I'm hoping to have the first 5-Speed ES galant 9G that is.... afterward I might sport the Turbo kit all depending on finding what I need and having the cash in hand

Tech_Greek
02-08-2007, 06:48 PM
04_GTS_Galant,

Yes, TCL is much better on when you have some what decent tires...it will pull timing off the line (just like those pretty stand alones do) to reduce wheel spin but as soon as it stops spinning it will push it back to neutral.

My best runs were with TCL on...with it off at the track I just spin...

Kilsom,

It does not work better than stalling it, after all you're using the stall whether you want to or not...your thinking of flashing the converter/stalling the converter off the line (most people say stall, as do I, but technically you're using the flash point of the TC).

As far as letting off the gas and flooring it between each gear it really doesn't make any sense and you want to know why?

Your PCM is set to shift at a certain rpm and let the clutches slip at x% to shift, when you let off, and floor it it's not engaging any faster, the only thing you're doing is pissing off the ATF fluid and heating it up, shaving/melting that nice clutch pack and grinding metal to metal when somethings NOT supposed to be disengaged.

If you do decide to do the let off and floor it through each shift for whatever reason, don't expect to see the dealership warrenty it because there will be a shit load of metal shavings in the pan and they will deny it and won't fix it.

Last time I checked on AllData these trannys were around 2k...you willing to chance it? :lol:

6G72gearhead
02-09-2007, 01:13 AM

From 0-100 MPH they are specs in my rear view mirror.

Not to be confused with modded V6 mustangs or Camaro's which will sneak up in bite you in the ass (my only loss in my Galant, a heavily modded v6 mustang)
I've beat mildly modded ones, fortunatly most of the ones around here arent built much further than intake and exhaust.