PDA

View Full Version : turbo issues!!!!!

B19WHEELS
09-29-2006, 10:55 AM
A friend of mine has a 97 Galant with a small 16g,front mount and 450cc injectors!! Just the other day he fouled out the plugs that was in the car,so i put new ones in ..But now the problem is whenever he tries to do WOT the a/f leans out and it hits fuel cut!!! This is crazy cuase at first he was running rich now lean,we havent touched any of the settiing on the Safc .Also when i wired up his injectors when you turned the car to the ACC side you can hear the injectors powering up,now i dont hear it anymore!! Can the ecu cut fuel to the car after fouling out the plugs until you disconnect the battery even after you put good plugs in the car?Can the FPR be acting up? Has anyone ever heard of a bad resistor pack and or its symptoms???
Heres his mods list:
stock 4g64
small 16g
ported 2g mani
3inch dp
2.5 inch exhaust
a/f,egt,boost gauges
ebay front mount
2.5 inch intercooler piping
1g bov
safc
450cc
stock fpr
stock fuel pump(no rewire)
ported 1g o2 no cracks
Let me know what you guys think is wrong with his car before i take the whole setup out..hes pretty upset!!!

DOHCstunr
09-29-2006, 12:07 PM
A friend of mine has a 97 Galant with a small 16g,front mount and 450cc injectors!! Just the other day he fouled out the plugs that was in the car,so i put new ones in ..But now the problem is whenever he tries to do WOT the a/f leans out and it hits fuel cut!!! This is crazy cuase at first he was running rich now lean,we havent touched any of the settiing on the Safc .Also when i wired up his injectors when you turned the car to the ACC side you can hear the injectors powering up,now i dont hear it anymore!! Can the ecu cut fuel to the car after fouling out the plugs until you disconnect the battery even after you put good plugs in the car?Can the FPR be acting up? Has anyone ever heard of a bad resistor pack and or its symptoms???
Heres his mods list:
stock 4g64
small 16g
ported 2g mani
3inch dp
2.5 inch exhaust
a/f,egt,boost gauges
ebay front mount
2.5 inch intercooler piping
1g bov
safc
450cc
stock fpr
stock fuel pump(no rewire)
ported 1g o2 no cracks
Let me know what you guys think is wrong with his car before i take the whole setup out..hes pretty upset!!!

how much boost are you running?

have you done a boost leak test yet?
you really ought to. its so important on mass airflow cars.
do you have any loose hoses or connectors.

the only think you shoudl be hearing when you turn the ignition switch to acc is yoru radio and maybe a relay or two.
your injectors won't make any noise unless they are opening and closing(car will obviously be runing)

when you turn your ignition to the on posittion you will hear relays, as well as the iac motor changing position.

do a boost leak test.

also since its a 97...
you shoudl really get a datalogger.
you cna use just about any palm pilot, and a $10 cable from ebay.

you will be able to track timing, a/f ratio, injector deadtimes, airflow, air intake temps, as well as test solenoids, and injectors.
you will also be able to clear trouble codes.

if you had a logger...
you wouldn't even be asking these questions because you woudl immediatly know what was happening.

B19WHEELS
09-29-2006, 01:30 PM
how much boost are you running?

have you done a boost leak test yet?
you really ought to. its so important on mass airflow cars.
do you have any loose hoses or connectors.

the only think you shoudl be hearing when you turn the ignition switch to acc is yoru radio and maybe a relay or two.
your injectors won't make any noise unless they are opening and closing(car will obviously be runing)

when you turn your ignition to the on posittion you will hear relays, as well as the iac motor changing position.
do a boost leak test.
also since its a 97...
you shoudl really get a datalogger.
you cna use just about any palm pilot, and a $10 cable from ebay.

you will be able to track timing, a/f ratio, injector deadtimes, airflow, air intake temps, as well as test solenoids, and injectors.
you will also be able to clear trouble codes.

if you had a logger...
you wouldn't even be asking these questions because you woudl immediatly know what was happening.

Hes only running 7lbs of boost!! No we havent did a leak test yet!!And i guess the sounds i was hearing was the isc motor..What kinda logger does he need to get i really want to get his car back right for him. It was running so good until the plugs fouled out!!!Now everything is getting backed up the car already needs a good dyno tune and his tune appointment is on this coming up thursday!! I was acually going to make a leak tester tomorrow when i get off so i guess i will do that then check the resistor pack to see whats the deal!!!

seth98esT
09-29-2006, 02:23 PM
What plugs? What are they gapped to? Are you sure its fuel cut and not just a miss fire? Fuel cut is very distinctive, under boost it feels like you hit a brick wall and a very loud backfire from the enginebay.

Missfire just feels like it is missing and it will try to pull through, but will be rough.

B19WHEELS
09-29-2006, 05:49 PM
What plugs? What are they gapped to? Are you sure its fuel cut and not just a miss fire? Fuel cut is very distinctive, under boost it feels like you hit a brick wall and a very loud backfire from the enginebay.

Missfire just feels like it is missing and it will try to pull through, but will be rough.

I installed the NGK BKR7E gapped at .43,just like the first time!!! Its fuel cut i have experienced this before!!!What you think Seth i tried calling you today about 3x,s but no answer!!!

DOHCstunr
09-29-2006, 09:04 PM
I installed the NGK BKR7E gapped at .43,just like the first time!!! Its fuel cut i have experienced this before!!!What you think Seth i tried calling you today about 3x,s but no answer!!!

wow .043?

i run .028 on my plugs for high boost.

for low boost witht he very very powerful 500hp capable stock 4g63t waste spark distributorless ignition you run a stock gap of .034

so with your measily stock single coil distributor... you might want to close that gap a tad.

if youa re hitting actual fuelcut( i HIGHLY doubt ytou are hitting airflow cut)
its because yoru injectors are seeing higher than 100% dutycycle.

in which case its either because yoru fuel pressure is too low, you have boost leaks, you have a bad o2 sensor, and it can be due to a few other things.

i woudl order a logger if you haven't already. seriously its important.

cause right now all you are doing is guessing at yoru tune....

and don't get offended, but guessing is jsut stupid. considering all the hard work you put into the swap in the first place.

B19WHEELS
09-29-2006, 09:13 PM
wow .043?
i run .028 on my plugs for high boost.

for low boost witht he very very powerful 500hp capable stock 4g63t waste spark distributorless ignition you run a stock gap of .034

so with your measily stock single coil distributor... you might want to close that gap a tad.
if youa re hitting actual fuelcut( i HIGHLY doubt ytou are hitting airflow cut)
its because yoru injectors are seeing higher than 100% dutycycle.

in which case its either because yoru fuel pressure is too low, you have boost leaks, you have a bad o2 sensor, and it can be due to a few other things.

i woudl order a logger if you haven't already. seriously its important.

cause right now all you are doing is guessing at yoru tune....

and don't get offended, but guessing is jsut stupid. considering all the hard work you put into the swap in the first place.

Thanks the info!!Remember on the spark plug gap its still a 4g64 in his car!!! So do i still need to regap lower?

Sleepervr-4
09-29-2006, 09:27 PM
Thanks the info!!Remember on the spark plug gap its still a 4g64 in his car!!! So do i still need to regap lower?

yes sould be 28-31 if I'm correct. You should be using 4g63t spark gap specs for your setup.

DOHCstunr
09-29-2006, 10:17 PM
its really just a matter of spark power, and cylinder pressure.

given a higher cylinder pressure... all else equal,
you shoudl have a tighter gap.

try . 032

Hodgson316
09-29-2006, 10:48 PM
any pics of this 7g? and why isn't this foo on tgc???

DOHCstunr
09-29-2006, 11:36 PM
any pics of this 7g? and why isn't this foo on tgc???

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">x2</span>

:laughing:

seth98esT
09-30-2006, 12:00 AM
<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">x2</span>

:laughing:

word!

But seriously, close the gap on those plugs. If its missing, it might just be blowing out the spark. How are you monitoring the AFR? You cant tune without a wideband or at least a regular A/F gauge. The stock fuel pump isnt helping, at least rewire that thing! Other then that, do a boost leak test! Get it on the dyno and find out what AFR you are running. You say it was running lean, how do you know?

B19WHEELS
09-30-2006, 12:31 AM
word!

But seriously, close the gap on those plugs. If its missing, it might just be blowing out the spark. How are you monitoring the AFR? You cant tune without a wideband or at least a regular A/F gauge. The stock fuel pump isnt helping, at least rewire that thing! Other then that, do a boost leak test! Get it on the dyno and find out what AFR you are running. You say it was running lean, how do you know?

Its reading lean on the a/f guage at about 6 or 7 psi at about 4k rpm!!Thanks i will tighten the gap then i do the leak test sat when i get off!!! This really is a friend of mines car,its been so long since hes logged on here that he forgot his password,anyways some pics of his car is on dsimports.com site under i think the march 03 meet at D&B his car is burgandy!!!

peanotation
10-02-2006, 02:13 PM
sounds like another bullshit problem caused by the even more bullshit s-afc2. i had the exact same problems as you, because we both chose to tune our cars with the complete-waste-of-time-and-money Super Affordable Fucking Crap 2

bronxbombr
10-02-2006, 08:08 PM
im gonna be running a Emanage setup

B19WHEELS
10-04-2006, 08:21 AM
sounds like another bullshit problem caused by the even more bullshit s-afc2. i had the exact same problems as you, because we both chose to tune our cars with the complete-waste-of-time-and-money Super Affordable Fucking Crap 2

yea what he said. But i have it fixed now the regapped spark plugs helped he went out and bought a used stock gst pump from a local member off the dsm board.(we wanted to do the rewire but the wires where different that the ones on vfaq site)Hes also thinking bout doing the emanage cause he has plans to do the 6 bolt swap soon but i say dsmlink.Im just happy that this is happening to his ride and not mine.. Acually i am please to say that my car is running GREAT with no problems at all.Even during the nopi show i layed the smack down on a couple cars.My friend (Eric) his car was running good too just until the wendsday after the show!! But im happy to say that we got it back straight for now!!

DOHCstunr
10-04-2006, 08:29 AM
yea what he said. But i have it fixed now the regapped spark plugs helped he went out and bought a used stock gst pump from a local member off the dsm board.(we wanted to do the rewire but the wires where different that the ones on vfaq site)Hes also thinking bout doing the emanage cause he has plans to do the 6 bolt swap soon but i say dsmlink.Im just happy that this is happening to his ride and not mine.. Acually i am please to say that my car is running GREAT with no problems at all.Even during the nopi show i layed the smack down on a couple cars.My friend (Eric) his car was running good too just until the wendsday after the show!! But im happy to say that we got it back straight for now!!

rewire is simple.
if your battery is in your trunk it takes no time at all.

you still use the same black w/ blue stripe wirte that goes to the fuel pumpwhere its under the rear pssenger bench.

seth98esT
10-04-2006, 12:18 PM
So did you take it to the track or just street racing?

B19WHEELS
10-04-2006, 01:12 PM
So did you take it to the track or just street racing?

DOHSTUNR i got that part but on vfaq its said something bout a red wire under the seat also all i seen was a black(solid)black/blue stripe,yellow/white stripe and i think a white wire so i got kinda lost but after looking at the tutorial a few times i got it.
Seth we never go street racing here(police are cracking down on it and locking everyone up). We didnt get a chance to go to Import Showdown because we both had to work but we will both go to the track in a week or 2 on a test and tune day!! I will bring me digital camera to take pics,plus everyone is wants to see under my hood( I need to redo my i.c piping also)!!