PDA

View Full Version : Traveling 400 some miles next month

jake26
10-07-2006, 11:41 AM
ok guys i need some suggestions on what i need to do to prepare my 7g with 116099 miles on it, for the trip to Maryland, i think the trip will be 450 miles one way. Of course i know to change the oil and take at least 2 QTS with me hahahah..

any suggestions welcome, but dont scare me.......... lol

Proto
10-07-2006, 11:59 AM
ok guys i need some suggestions on what i need to do to prepare my 7g with 116099 miles on it, for the trip to Maryland, i think the trip will be 450 miles one way. Of course i know to change the oil and take at least 2 QTS with me hahahah..

any suggestions welcome, but dont scare me.......... lol

check the brakes, power steering/coolant/washer/brake/master cyl fluid levels, belts, and tires.

mattalicslvr8g02
10-07-2006, 12:04 PM
what proto said plus change the air filter

DOHCstunr
10-07-2006, 12:08 PM
i reccomend cleaning out the inside of the car for this meet(wasn't vey clean for the mb meet)
OWNED

and wouldn't hurt to check/ replace your spark plugs,
and i always drop in a bottle of fuel sstem clener when i go on a long road trip.
perfect oppurtunity to scrub the fuel system.

jake26
10-07-2006, 12:25 PM
i reccomend cleaning out the inside of the car for this meet(wasn't vey clean for the mb meet)
OWNED

and wouldn't hurt to check/ replace your spark plugs,
and i always drop in a bottle of fuel sstem clener when i go on a long road trip.
perfect oppurtunity to scrub the fuel system.

i hope u arent talking about my car not being clean inside, hehehehhe i cleaned it out the day before, vaccumed it and everyhting, but thanx guys i will do all that.

seth98esT
10-07-2006, 12:48 PM
My car had a transmission, 1g head, and my toolbox in it, but I think I was ok :P

Id grab a gallon of coolant, you never know when you are going to spring a leak or develop some sort of overheating.

pinoyesv6
10-07-2006, 01:20 PM
make sure you've done all the proper routeine maintenance to the car. and if there's something bothering you about the car, maybe some ticking weird noises something whatever, get it checked out and fixed.

check the spare tire. make sure its in good condition, good tire pressure. and make sure u could take it out. i had a flat once and the lil nut that holds the tire in was cross threaded and it was almost impossible to remove the tire from the trunk without tools, thank god i had my gerber with me and that did the trick.

seth98esT
10-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Dont worry about it Jake. If my car can make an 18hr trip(8hrs on 3 cylinders lol!) from Iowa to Va, then just back in August up to Ohio and back with no problems, you have nothing to worry about.

fatal1
10-07-2006, 01:59 PM
yea just get an oil change, and do your routine check if your in SC it should only be at max a 6hr trip i made it from NY to SC in 10 and from me baltimore is about 4hrs away

9G
10-07-2006, 03:02 PM
painters masking tape? bwaahahaha.

txgalant
10-07-2006, 04:29 PM
bringing a tool bag wouldn't hurt either. i went from tx to nor cal and all my tools were in the moving truck. i had a headlight go out in the middle of nowhere, bought a head light but didn't have any tools :evil:

kolio
10-07-2006, 07:57 PM
I live in baltimore, my advice would be make sure your tires are ok! The streets suck really bad, the city has the worst.... but all of maryland is the same. i've lost a bumber twice to the streets of baltimore ( only broke the clips both times). other than the roads, and the advice from the others you should be ok.

P.S. lately the cops have been out in numbers....... keep speeding to a minimum, it would sux to get a ticket.

Darkkend
10-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Dont worry about it Jake. If my car can make an 18hr trip(8hrs on 3 cylinders lol!) from Iowa to Va, then just back in August up to Ohio and back with no problems, you have nothing to worry about.

you drove 8 hours on 3 cylinders? I drove the g 5 miles on 3 cylinders and it shut off on my about 50 times, even though it was all city driving.

DOHCstunr
10-07-2006, 11:43 PM
you drove 8 hours on 3 cylinders? I drove the g 5 miles on 3 cylinders and it shut off on my about 50 times, even though it was all city driving.

yeah one of the clips he used for his injector wiring seperated, so his #3 cylinder was getting ZERO fuel.

4-G-rim
10-08-2006, 06:06 AM
Here is my suggested list of things to do:

1. Fresh oil change
2. Check ALL fluids (Radiator, Power steering, Brake, Tranny)
3. Check for tire condition..Good time to rotate your tires.
4, Tire air pressure and make sure you SPARE tire too
4. Check brakes (rotors, brake pads, condition of brake lines/hoses)
5. Inspect all lights. (Different counties and states get anal about little stuff..you don't need a ticket for a BS thing)
6. Inspect for leaks..ANYTHING that looks major, get it fixed immdiately or use a different car
7. Check ignition system (Spark wires, plugs, etc etc)

With a long trip like that I would suggest putting some good fuel system cleaner into the tank before you fill up for the trip. Also like what Seth said and I do too...bring some tools and extra oil and coolant, you never know you'll might be needing them. :cool:

jake26
10-08-2006, 10:54 AM
thanx guys for all the suggestions!!! i will inspect everything, plus i still have some time to fix anything that is broken if so!! i will drive about 70-75MPH on the interstate unless otherwise noted... thanx again guys