PDA

View Full Version : Cutting OEM springs.

SLS2000
10-08-2006, 10:32 PM
I want to know what your (TGC) take on the following information published under Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams

“Before you invest in new springs to lower your car, you should be aware that your chances of success are much better if you cut your existing springs. ...This is why (Herb Adams) recommends that you cut your existing springs and save the cost of new springs. The results will almost certainly be better. Your car’s existing springs have already taken a permanent set, (adjusted to final height after a few months, years of use), so you know where they will end up. ….Springs don’t wear out, so you can save the cost of new springs if you trim your existing ones…..We have found that most springs should be cut (½) coil and still keep adequate ride height. If your springs have sagged, you don’t even have to cut them because your car is already at a lower ride height.”

So what do you guys think? I take it from the rest of the reading that this does mean new shocks and struts, not just cutting them. Plus he mentions a way of cutting them where you take off the suggested amount and you heat up the same amount left, turn the coil over and put pressure to give it the ideal shape.

Anyway, I thought I get your thoughts on it for future projects instead of tossing the ones that we are about to change.

pinoyesv6
10-08-2006, 10:46 PM
got an address to the moron that wrote that?

i have so high peformance blinker fluid and drilled and slotted brake lines for sale if you're interested

Reelax
10-08-2006, 10:47 PM
I want to know what your (TGC) take on the following information published under Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams

“Before you invest in new springs to lower your car, you should be aware that your chances of success are much better if you cut your existing springs. ...This is why (Herb Adams) recommends that you cut your existing springs and save the cost of new springs. The results will almost certainly be better. Your car’s existing springs have already taken a permanent set, (adjusted to final height after a few months, years of use), so you know where they will end up. ….Springs don’t wear out, so you can save the cost of new springs if you trim your existing ones…..We have found that most springs should be cut (½) coil and still keep adequate ride height. If your springs have sagged, you don’t even have to cut them because your car is already at a lower ride height.”

So what do you guys think? I take it from the rest of the reading that this does mean new shocks and struts, not just cutting them. Plus he mentions a way of cutting them where you take off the suggested amount and you heat up the same amount left, turn the coil over and put pressure to give it the ideal shape.

Anyway, I thought I get your thoughts on it for future projects instead of tossing the ones that we are about to change.

quote seems like it's taken out of context. what was the purpose of not using new springs... also is this in reference to a car that does not have easily replaced springs or are cost prohibitive? springs are CHEAP, so why would you weaken your stocks and risk possible failure?

SLS2000
10-08-2006, 11:24 PM
quote seems like it's taken out of context. what was the purpose of not using new springs... also is this in reference to a car that does not have easily replaced springs or are cost prohibitive? springs are CHEAP, so why would you weaken your stocks and risk possible failure?

Actually no, the details are long but the book is about race car chassis and detailed info on how to make cars handle better. He writes about spring load and spring rates and their differences and how in many cases factory springs can do a very good job once cut together with performance struts and shocks and some times even better then after market ones. He gives and example with a WS6 trans am where it was made to handle better by cutting the springs rather than buying new ones. Again, this guy aint no backyard mechanic.

http://www.amazon.com/Chassis-Engineering-...TF8&s=books (http://www.amazon.com/Chassis-Engineering-Herb-Adams/dp/1557880557/sr=8-1/qid=1160367553/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-9988245-7795257?ie=UTF8&s=books)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1557880557...rds=cut+springs (http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1557880557/ref=sib_dp_srch_pop/002-9988245-7795257?v=search-inside&keywords=cut+springs)
He is a very well known name in racing.

pinoyesv6
10-08-2006, 11:28 PM
have u read the reviews on the book?? i have.

SLS2000
10-08-2006, 11:46 PM
have u read the reviews on the book?? i have.

Yes

Most of them good and in the begining of the book he makes it clear that this book is on the surface.

fatal1
10-09-2006, 12:22 AM
dont be cheap and buy a new suspension setup for those of you even considering doing this

AVERAGE
10-09-2006, 12:42 AM
I cut a coil from my 323 springs. Didnt do anything. I swear the car stayed at stock height. it just easier to just do it right the first time

SkylineG1
10-09-2006, 12:44 AM
Not only that but it is also safer to do it right.

shaneb
10-09-2006, 08:07 AM
Not only that but it is also safer to do it right.

if by safer you mean buying new springs then your exactly right. by cutting the spring if you don't do it right, the car will not be even. not to mention that the spring rate goes all to hell.
quite frankly i don't care if this guy is a seasoned mechanic or not he's still and idiot

G-spot
10-09-2006, 09:09 AM
this book is brought to you by the makers of The Fast and the Furious inc.

mitsuree8thgen
10-09-2006, 10:03 AM
"Springs don't wear out".....what a clown. If anybody tries this, they are putting themselves at a big safety risk.

Reelax
10-09-2006, 12:36 PM
...I take it from the rest of the reading that this does mean new shocks and struts, not just cutting them. ...

so he also suggests new struts/shocks when lowering right?. does he mention that with a lowered vehicle you NEED short body dampers, not stock sized shocks/struts as you will have limited suspension travel before you get into the bump stops? if that's the case, the best thing to do would be to just ante up and get short body coilovers/dampers like the TEIN basic (chaepest complete option). just buying springs or adjustable coils will eat your stock dampers alive... cutting your OE springs will do it even faster. to lower a car and keep full suspension travel, you need short body dampers... your only options are koni inserts from RRE or TEIN/JIC/D2 etc.

seth98esT
10-09-2006, 01:20 PM
I am almost positive my springs are cut. They are black Eibachs which should be the Pro-kit. I bought them used from a guy in Texas, he did not mention the fact that they were cut. Reasone I think they were cut:

A) Next to Mazs 7g, my car was an inch lower in the front/rear and he also had the Eibach Pro Kit with KYB struts.

B) The very ends os the springs, the tips, were slightly rusted.

I have been riding with these springs for 3 years now. Stock struts in back, KYB AGX in the front. Im sure my struts are worn, but they arent blown as the ride is still descent. There is a little bounce to the ride but overall it is pretty stiff.

I would not condone cutting stock or aftermarket springs at all. If you do want to cut aftermarket springs, make sure a reputable suspsion/performance shop does it, do not do it on your own.

At a later time, I found out that my springs were actually DjPlays old springs and he had a reputable shop cut them.

4-G-rim
10-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Simply...don't cut springs period. Spend the extra $$$ for some decent springs.

Less risk, less pain, peace of mind.

SLS2000
10-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Im going to step on some eggs here.

I can tell some of you who posted did not give good thought to your post.

To call a veteran of race car builder (not assembler), a professor of automotive engineering, with over 40 race cars built from the ground up an idiot or a clown. :nono:

You know better???

Reelax and Seth have the idea of this thread. Fruthermore, the topic is to see if it is better (performance wise not cost) to do a cut and bend as suggested by this experienced engineer (not crusty).

opinions are welcome but if you are a know it all, who does not know it all, resist the temptation to post unless you are using your brain or have some solid experience in this. You know, more experience then the accused idiot/clown.

seth98esT
10-09-2006, 10:27 PM
But...

WHy cust the stock springs, when you will not know what hte end result will be. You wont know the end ride height, you wont know the spring rates. I gaurantee you that there are not ANY professional race cars out there riding on stock cut springs, you just dont see that. I have never heard of this guy and never even clicked the link lol.

But why do such a thing when you can buy a reputable set of H&R, Tein, Eibach, dozens of companies that make a lowering spring for your car for under $200.

pinoyesv6
10-09-2006, 11:35 PM
i don't care how long he's been building stuff. i've been pooping out of my ass for 23 years, that doesn't make me an expert on it.

when you cut springs you're just not lowering the ride height of the car but you're changing the characteristics of the springs, in most cases, taking a shot in the dark about the end result. i've ridden in cars with cut springs, it isn't that nice. and why are lowering springs stiffer than factory springs?

and sagging springs are a good thing? thats like saying that sagging tits are a good thing cuz they make them look bigger.

Fishboy55
10-10-2006, 05:54 AM
i don't care how long he's been building stuff. i've been pooping out of my ass for 23 years, that doesn't make me an expert on it.

when you cut springs you're just not lowering the ride height of the car but you're changing the characteristics of the springs, in most cases, taking a shot in the dark about the end result. i've ridden in cars with cut springs, it isn't that nice. and why are lowering springs stiffer than factory springs?

and sagging springs are a good thing? thats like saying that sagging tits are a good thing cuz they make them look bigger.

:-D :-D :-D :-D LMAO. Despite how eloquently Allan expresses his opinion, I tend to agree with him. This article/book is one person's opinion. The research that I've read (i've been poopoing out my ass longer than 23 years :lol: ) say that cutting/heating springs is not advisable and is a safety issue. Springs are produced through engineering. Cutting a spring tossses any of that engineering and R&D out the window. And the chances of getting all four springs exactly even is slim if not impossible

Regarding the sagging springs/shocks, if this is a book about race cars, chassis building and handling results, Then this guy is definately talking out of his ass. I invite you to go out to any track (drag or oval) in the country and count the number of drivers that are running their cars on worn suspension components.