PDA

View Full Version : 5 speed conversion questions

phizz2k
10-11-2006, 04:31 PM
So Iam finaaly tired of the automatic pop out of 1st to second gear and the slow slushy response of the auto. I have read through the tutorials quite a bit but still have a few questions.

I picked up
94 7g 5 speed transmisson w/100,000 miles (shelfed for a few years)
Front and side perch
Side Tranny Mount
Clutch pedal assembly
Brake pedal assembly
5speed shifter assembly W/clips
Shifter Cables

Needed
Master & Slave Cylinder
Hydrolic line from master to slave
Clutch kit
Flywheel
Transmision fluid
Manual starter

Questions
Will the bolts that come out of the 7g auto flywheel fit with the manual flyweel?
will I need that spring cable that hooks into the clutch and igniton, or does the rewire of the relay fiix this?
Will the rear tranny perch from the auto fit the manual? (mine came cut)
Where do I get that roller blade bushing Walmart :) ?

If theres anthing Iam missing, let me know....

Joaltava
10-11-2006, 04:43 PM
So Iam finaaly tired of the automatic pop out of 1st to second gear and the slow slushy response of the auto. I have read through the tutorials quite a bit but still have a few questions.

I picked up
94 7g 5 speed transmisson w/100,000 miles (shelfed for a few years)
Front and side perch
Side Tranny Mount
Clutch pedal assembly
Brake pedal assembly
5speed shifter assembly W/clips
Shifter Cables

Needed
Master & Slave Cylinder
Hydrolic line from master to slave
Clutch kit
Flywheel
Transmision fluid
Manual starter

Questions
Will the bolts that come out of the 7g auto flywheel fit with the manual flyweel?
will I need that spring cable that hooks into the clutch and igniton, or does the rewire of the relay fiix this?
Will the rear tranny perch from the auto fit the manual? (mine came cut)
Where do I get that roller blade bushing Walmart :) ?

If theres anthing Iam missing, let me know....

The bolts from the 7g Auto i dont think they will bolt to the manual, when i took mine out i just went ahead and put the manual tranny bolts.

Good luck with the swap man, i have been trying to finish it but i dont have the space anymore since my brother sold the house and my house does not have a drive way so my car is in peices.

bronxbombr
10-11-2006, 04:51 PM
I can get the left over parts you need, and any more questions you have just feel free to ask.

phizz2k
10-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Thats pretty messed up Joaltava, Hit me up if you need an extra hand in putting the G back together. I could use the experience when it comes to my conversion....

Yo Bronxbombr check pm...

bronxbombr
10-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Good luck with the swap man, i have been trying to finish it but i dont have the space anymore since my brother sold the house and my house does not have a drive way so my car is in peices.

Send me a plane or bus ticket for the weekend and i will finish the swap for you in less than a day.

Thats pretty messed up Joaltava, Hit me up if you need an extra hand in putting the G back together. I could use the experience when it comes to my conversion....
Yo Bronxbombr check pm...

Checked and replied back!

Blue Ice
10-11-2006, 06:03 PM
You'll also need to get the M/T shifter plate bolts. the bolts that come out of the auto plate are too short.

hey bronx i still need that front m/t mount if you hav it to send. i sent you a pm a lil while back

peanotation
10-11-2006, 09:21 PM
you will need new flywheel bolts, the ones for the torque converter "plate" are much much shorter than the ones used for the flywheel.

as for the clutch pedal relay rewire....what? just don't wire in a clutch pedal switch and you're fine....it's stupid anyways. pushing the clutch on a dead cold car gives me the chills....

you can get rollerblade bushings at your local skateshop or find a place online. i bought a set of 10 online for $9 shipped.

you can reuse your shifter plate bushings, but you'll have to cut the big washers off and leave the small ones on to make the bolts long enough to reach, then you can get a good 4-5 threads into the bottom hole.....

bronxbombr
10-12-2006, 12:37 AM
Send me a plane or bus ticket for the weekend and i will finish the swap for you in less than a day.
Checked and replied back!

Just PM me again.

phizz2k
11-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Well I thought I'd do a little update on my progress... I took the auto out last weekend and did most of the work for the inside of the car. I had a lot of trouble removing the flywheel bolts for the auto but after I used the torch and impact socket set, My father and I were able to get them out.

Also the Spacer was pretty tight in there as well. My fathre and I worked on it from all angles using a torch and vice grips but were unable to get it out.... Afterwards we decided to give the jack hammer a try and the spacer came flying out :lol: .

All I got to do now is bolt up the flywheel, clutchkit, tranny and axles along with adding fluids and adjusting whatever else that is needed.

So far I say this has been a strenous task but Is a must in my opinon if your auto tranny goes out.( and you want to keep ur G )

By the way Iam still in need of the rear bracket that bolts tranny to the vehicle. If anyone has it pm me ...

Heres a few pics

here she is being modified....
http://www.a10chun.com/IM001410.jpg

Dam spacer :evil:
http://www.a10chun.com/IM001421.jpg
Spacer from the side listens to jack hammer :)
http://www.a10chun.com/IM001424.jpg

Master cylinder cut out
http://www.a10chun.com/IM001409.jpg
Master cylinder installed
http://www.a10chun.com/IM001411.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the help so far and tgc....

Peanos tutioral has helped me out greatly as well as Seth's parts list...

seth98esT
11-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Pretty nice progress, keep up the good work!

bronxbombr
11-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Ya, keep it up dude.

da1085
11-09-2006, 11:58 PM
i must agree....very nice work....loving that bumper...looks like the famuse "smurf-blue-galant" that used to be turbo..very nice

bronxbombr
11-10-2006, 03:04 AM
nice indeed.

peanotation
11-10-2006, 01:46 PM
yaaaaay another 5spder! you're almost there...when you're done we'll throw a party and welcome you to the elite members-only club. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

laxinwarrior
11-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Does the club apply to those who are 5spd from the factory? 8-)
Good work on the swap so far i'm impressed.

Joaltava
11-10-2006, 08:23 PM
awsome dude great work, it helps alot that you have a garage.

Let me know if you need some help now that i got my g back i can go by ur crib with my GS

bronxbombr
11-11-2006, 07:09 AM
Ya our 5spd club is elite. Swapped and factory alike we are all rare.
Well use to be, now there are more 5spd galants all over that place.
I love my 5spd and everyday am glad i am a member of this site and have learned the knowledge to work, mod, and tune my G. Makes me feel good to pass that knowledge off to the rookies(noobies)too.

da1085
11-11-2006, 09:48 AM
without TGC's help, i would still be an auto......swapping to 5spd is the best thing i've done to the 7g.....i don't think i've showed my gratitude to everyone that helped me out..

THANKS to you guys for the help in the past,present and hopefuly the future...

ok now thats done, i see on the picture that you're using "Duralst clutch"? when everything is done tell me how it drives.....i was going to use them but then i went ahead and got the ACT2100 since i know i'll need the durability to the fact that i had to lear to drive 5spd

phizz2k
11-11-2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks everyone for the replys...

Yo joaltava good to hear you got your gs back toghether, Maybe we can meet up at that csk show...

Hey da1085 I was hoping no one saw that cluth kit but whatevs I can't stand waiting for parts so once I got half of my parts, i just went to the closet place and bought whatever they had to finish my list.

I, also haven't had a standard car before but I know how to drive one cause my dads got a toyota pickup that I drive around the nighborhood and I ride my bros suzuki 600 every know and again around the neighborhood. I just didn't want to spend a lot of dough on somoething I could mess up.

Oh yea get my space ready in the elite 5speeder club, I'll be there soon :). (konck on wood ;) )

bronxbombr
11-11-2006, 05:19 PM
you will learn the stick yet, and if not then go here

www.standardshift.com

seth98esT
11-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Meh Ive been using a stock Exedy clutch for 10k miles now. If it holds my power, it will do perfectly fine on a stock motor!

T-double
11-12-2006, 06:03 PM
looks good man keep it up I just sold a m/t so I have to get another so my progress has been road blocked

http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p209/Terrance362/th_100_3139.jpg

89Mirageman
11-12-2006, 11:23 PM
I also used the writeup to do my 5 speed swap. Only thing I did it on a 94 Mitsubishi Expo (the mini van/station wagon looking thing) instead of a Galant. The process was mostly the same except I had to pull the entire dash to swap my brake pedal over. The Expo's brake master cylinder is on the passenger side and a long rod runs all the way over to the drivers side where the pedal is. I even had to pull the heater core. Still no big deal though as that only set me back a few hours. These cars are very similar to the Galants, they use the 4G64 and their auto trannies are notorious for going bad at the 100k mark too. I would just like to say thanks to whoever did the writeup, I honestly couldn't have done the swap without it.

seth98esT
11-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Post pics of your Expo! Sounds like a fun ride :biggrin:

89Mirageman
11-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Post pics of your Expo! Sounds like a fun ride :biggrin:

I tried to on my last post but they were too big. Anyone care to add them for me if I email them?

bronxbombr
11-12-2006, 11:41 PM
nice on the expo.

89Mirageman
11-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Here is a pic. It's actully badged a Plymouth Colt Vista, not an Expo but they are the exact same. I also put on some 91 Galant VR4 wheels.

phizz2k
11-13-2006, 12:14 PM
oKI can't get it to start... I need to know hich wires to cross. I get power, lightsand everything but I duno why it will not start?

Here's a pic of the switch...

http://www.a10chun.com/1113_130748.jpg

blurry but u get the idea....

seth98esT
11-13-2006, 01:38 PM
lol that picture is impossible! You need to cross the two wires on the ECU side, not the connector side. The colors will depend on your year, follow peanos tutorial if you have a 94-96, if you have a 97/98 I think its a black/red stripe and black/blue stripe wire. Either way they are two thick wires, mine were in the middle of the connector on either side.

microgalant
11-13-2006, 09:51 PM
Mine is 1996,it's the only 2 black wire that goes to the biggest plug on the tranny

phizz2k
11-14-2006, 07:11 AM
Ya that picture is pretty bad, I was in a panic when I took it :lol: . But yea mine is a 1997 and I had the blk/yellow thick wire crossed with the thin blk/yellow wire like in the pic with the 5 speed swap tutorial.

Its suppose to be blk/yellow thick wire with blk/blue thick wire. Anyways I got it running and the gears were pretty difficult to get into so my friends and I adjusted the mastercylinder and It started to go into gear real easy... We also blead the hydraluic line in each gear to helpout.

The cable lines were also a bit of mystery because I couldn't get it in reverse but after flipping the lines and playing with them,we were able to get it working.

Finnally after charging up the battery, we took it out for a ride round the neighborhood. I was being really easy on it but it the drive is completly different from the auto. My auto was worse than most so the change proably felt more dramatic than others.... It almost feels like iam in another car....

Anyways Iam glad about the change... and I think I will give it a flush at the end of the week and take it for a real test :firedevil: .

seth98esT
11-14-2006, 09:58 AM
Sweet! Make sure you let the clutch break in properly, at least 500 miles of easy driving.

DOHCstunr
11-14-2006, 11:02 AM
count on bleeding that clutch again.
since your clutch line was completely empty when you installed it, its nearly impossible to get all the air out on the firt try.
i'd plan on bleeding at least a whole bottle of some good stuff in before you get allt he bubbles out.
the thing is that the bubbles get stirred up when you bleed and can become so tiny that they won't bleed out.
it takes a couple daqys for the bubbles to collect together to a few large bubbles.
then they come right out.

on a cold trans thats been sitting for a while, it probably will be difficult to get it into gear. especially if your clutch isn't setup perfect.
but whatever you do dont' force the shifter into gear.
let the trans do the work.
hold the shiftknob like you'd hold an egg. soft but assertive.
a lot of peopel drive a mitsu tranny how they think a manual tranny shoudl work.
but the thing is you have to work with the tranny and learn the tranny before you try to beat on it.
the tranny isn't junk because it won't let you into gear; you are doing somethign wrong, so it won't let you. wether it be somethign is out of adjsutment, or you just aren't doing things right(or at the right time)

learning yoru tranny means learning precisely how and when you can do what.
if you keep that in mind as you learn it, you won't break the tranny in to you; you'll break yourself into the tranny, and thats the way you want to be cause you don't want to be chewing up syncro's.

congrats!