PDA

View Full Version : Variable Valve Timing

shortdogg2k05
10-14-2006, 09:35 AM
I am driving a Altima 2.5S while my car is in the shop. I noticed it is variable valve timing that kick in about 5000 rpms. It is not a strong kick but it is noticable. I know Mitsus answer to variable valve timing is the MIVEC but it is for low rpms and suffers on the top end. Is there any way to acheive this with the 63 head and have it resemble VTEC? If so would it be worth it?

Stewi
10-14-2006, 10:08 AM
I am driving a Altima 2.5S while my car is in the shop. I noticed it is variable valve timing that kick in about 5000 rpms. It is not a strong kick but it is noticable. I know Mitsus answer to variable valve timing is the MIVEC but it is for low rpms and suffers on the top end. Is there any way to acheive this with the 63 head and have it resemble VTEC? If so would it be worth it?

Mitsu's MIVEC technology on the EVO9 hasnt really impressed many people. VTEC is a little different since its more for top end and Most B series honda's are revving in the 8,000RPM range. The 63' head is designed for a turbocharged car, so if you are meaning to do the 63' head all motor with MIVEC, it may work somewhat if you had cams that were made for all motor but I still dont think it would be that impressive. Anything the MIVEC does a turbo can do better.

shortdogg2k05
10-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Thanks stewi for you input, it was just something that popped in my head while I was driving and I had to get an answer.

proteusx301
10-14-2006, 06:49 PM
MIVEC and VTEC arent exactly the same thing either. The priciple is the same, but the way it works is different. With VTEC its a simple on/off, with MIVEC its in 3 stages depending on where the engine is revved to.

PDT1631
10-16-2006, 05:28 AM
Wait so you are saying that MIVEC is possible on our 8g's? Any ideas on how much it would cost. Is it not possible to run with a turbo?

Stewi
10-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Wait so you are saying that MIVEC is possible on our 8g's? Any ideas on how much it would cost. Is it not possible to run with a turbo?

it is possible to run with or without turbo. you can get one from the new 9g's however im not sure how you would control the mivec without a standalone. I think the 9g's have fly by wire throttle's so I dont think you could use a 9g ECU in an 8g, unless you used the 9g intake mani and throttle body and you would need the sensor for the pedal too. That is all speculation, im not sure if it would all come together.

seth98esT
10-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Screw MIVEC, just do a regular Evo headswap. Screw Vtec too. My turbo is my Vtec and it comes on at 2500RPM and pulls to 7500RPM, eat that!

rl1634
10-16-2006, 09:01 PM
Screw MIVEC, just do a regular Evo headswap. Screw Vtec too. My turbo is my Vtec and it comes on at 2500RPM and pulls to 7500RPM, eat that!

haha well said

PDT1631
10-17-2006, 05:26 AM
Why not have both? It would most likley be a first. It sounds like an interesting project but I'm pretty sure I dont have the know how to do that by myself. If someone is planning on undertaking this or already has I would like to know more.

proteusx301
10-17-2006, 10:23 AM
Why not have both? It would most likley be a first. It sounds like an interesting project but I'm pretty sure I dont have the know how to do that by myself. If someone is planning on undertaking this or already has I would like to know more.

what would be the point of having both. MIVEC does the same thing that VTEC does, and then some. MIVEC is triple stage whereas VTEC is single stage. The reason people claim that they dont feel MIVEC kick as hard when it engages is that it is technically always on, just at different settings. You could do it for giggles if you wanted, but it would be like turbocharging and supercharging an engine at the same time, way too much maintenence. And good luck splicing a Honda/Acura ECU for VTEC into a DSM engine

DrewPinoy85
10-17-2006, 01:34 PM

mmm twin charge lol just playin
.....although there is a twin charge kit for minis :twisted:

manybrews
10-21-2006, 06:15 PM
just gotta correct a few things here.

first, the actual MIVEC technology is NOT whats used on the new EVO. Although called MIVEC, it is officially only varies the intake valve timing. it doesnt alter lift like the true MIVEC. they only call it that as its basically marketing.
secondly, MIVEC does in fact only have 2 stages. Low speed cam lobes and high speed cam lobes. There is no 3rd stage.