View Full Version : MMC Side Markers

Sillyasianz
10-15-2006, 01:47 AM
I have had the MMC JDM Side Markers for a long ass time on my car. I just cut a hole in the fender and they snapped right in. But i had to recently buy a new passanger fender. I still have to remold my side skirt and paint it, but I might as well try and make the side marker flush on that side since I havent cut out a hole for it yet. But damn, im clueless on how, I tried Google, but not DIY found. Anyone have suggestions on have actual experience on how to do it yourself?

MY idea was to cut a hole a bit smaller then the side marker, find some way to bend the metal of the hole inward (w/o bending the surrounding metal of the fender), now making it the exact size of the side marker, then re bending the already bent metal inward making it the snapping point for the side marker
The metal opening will look like:

]_ _[

(with the side marker in the middle)..... Then if done perfectly right, it should be flush.....

Hmm?

GOAL:

http://www.soederman.se/colt/images/GalantGalleri/galant104.jpg

Stewi
10-15-2006, 09:44 AM
I have had the MMC JDM Side Markers for a long ass time on my car. I just cut a hole in the fender and they snapped right in. But i had to recently buy a new passanger fender. I still have to remold my side skirt and paint it, but I might as well try and make the side marker flush on that side since I havent cut out a hole for it yet. But damn, im clueless on how, I tried Google, but not DIY found. Anyone have suggestions on have actual experience on how to do it yourself?

MY idea was to cut a hole a bit smaller then the side marker, find some way to bend the metal of the hole inward (w/o bending the surrounding metal of the fender), now making it the exact size of the side marker, then re bending the already bent metal inward making it the snapping point for the side marker
The metal opening will look like:

]_ _[

(with the side marker in the middle)..... Then if done perfectly right, it should be flush.....

Hmm?

GOAL:

I actually have a set of 97 JDM VR4 fenders out in my garage and I can tell you its nearly impossible to duplicate the hole for the marker. Its such a subtle contour that allows it to sit flush, I dont think you can replicate it on a US spec fender without first damaging the areas around the hole, then using body filler to make it all line up.
http://www.soederman.se/colt/images/GalantGalleri/galant104.jpg

Calipso
10-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Sillyasianz, the idea of cutting a smaller whole and bending it in, wouldn't that show up on the fender surrounding the marker? Have you thought about taking the fender off and then fiberglassing/bondoing the marker into the fender?

As long as the marker doesn't STICK out far, I don't think it would look bad.

fatal1
10-15-2006, 04:34 PM
yea the jdm fenders have an indentation in them for the sidemarkers i think it would be extemely had to get them to look like that, without it looking like crap around it. do you have pics of them on your car now?

Sillyasianz
10-16-2006, 03:55 AM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f108/mahjinboo/Galant/021e6f0c.jpg

So its just slapped on. So what ur suggesting it that I cut the opening more, making it flush, then adding bondo on the innerside of the fender, holding it in place?

I'd first have to cut the hole perfectly and grind the outline smoother, maybe even slightly bend it in, making it look like the JDM spec.

BUT to just FG it in, would create an issue....

My kits molded, so a popped bulb reguires me to take the wheel off, remove the under fender covering (or remove it permanently), then reach under and twist it off where its locks the bulb in to replace it

I can do this all w/ the fender off the car on the side I have NOT remolded, But the other side is molded, so all would be done with it on the car, doing bondo while under the car.....

Is that the easiest way to make it flush? Loose the ability to remove it at all?

thebirdman13
10-16-2006, 07:52 AM
cut the opening to the exact size, take the piece that was cut out... FG it 1/2 inch into the fender... then cut the hole so it snaps in...

Sillyasianz
10-16-2006, 04:11 PM
^^Ohhh, I like that idea....