View Full Version : Sticky Throttle Cable - Stuck Accellerator Pedal

TJC
10-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Recently after getting my ride back from the body shop, I noticed that my accellerator pedal would sometimes get stuck when I depress it. Other times it would slowly bounce back up when I release the accellerator pedal. Well after checking the manual, low and behold, there's a little symbol of an oil can pointing to the end of the throttle cable where the pedal is.

The Fix:
Disconnect the cable under the hood by unbolting 2 bolts that holds the bracket that takes out the slack in the throttle cable and unhook the end at the throttle body (looks like a tiny solid cylinder on the very end of the cable). Wipe down this end of the cable with a clean cloth and lube the cable with light oil. (I used WD40 because I didn't have anything else nor know what should actually be used, LOL) Next, go into the car with the cable still disconnected and depress the accellerator pedal to the floor. Go back under the hood and manually feed the rest of the cable toward the cabin by pushing the loose end (the bare wire cable) into the cable jacket as far as it can go. Then go into the cabin and repeat the steps to clean and lube the cable that now should be sticking out under the dash where you pedal is. Lastly, go back under the hood and pull the cable all the way back, reconnect cable end at throttle body, and put back the two bolts while adjusting the bracket to take out all of the slack without pulling the cable so taught that it opens up your throttle body.

I was so amazed at how light the pedal felt afterwards that I felt stupid knowing in hindsight that I could of probably saved a ton of gas and brake pads from a slow and sticky throttle response. This might be often overlooked because from my personal experience of owning over half a dozen cars, I have NEVER cleaned and lubed a throttle cable. :laughing:

yaqngie
01-30-2010, 07:05 AM
Man I wish someone could provide pictures for those of us that are lost when it comes to this stuff

bronxbombr
04-13-2010, 11:44 PM
i just started to experience this problem.