PDA

View Full Version : performance chips, resistors??

krazienluv10
11-17-2002, 04:50 AM
hey guys i needed ur guys expertise n stuff... i bought this chip for my 98 galant on ebay... probably was a stupid idea, but i was just wondering how to install it?? it said to install it at the iat but i dont know which wire it is, there is lyke 7 of them i believe... ill let u guys know if it works thanx :shock:

krazienluv10
11-17-2002, 05:14 AM
ohh yea i think the IAT sensor and the Mass Air sensor are all in plug only thing is, is that i dont know which one is the IAT for the 98 galant

BEAST
11-17-2002, 05:59 PM
I got the same thing. Sorry but I don't really think it makes that much of a difference. I connected mine to the 5th and 6th wire. Look here to find some help. I don't know if we are supposed to hook it up the the 5th and 6th because that was for the 8g but I figured it was about the same. http://www.tgc-forums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic...ighlight=timing ('http://www.tgc-forums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=382&highlight=timing')

krazienluv10
11-20-2002, 06:41 PM
okay i found the correct wires the iat was the white wire n ground was black, i installed everything, but it wassnt all that i expected it was a little faster however my rpm increased 1000 during cold start... got anoying after a while soo i took it off

if u guys wanna install one the iat has 5 volts and a resistance of 1000 to 2000 soo get a multimeter...

TJC
11-20-2002, 06:50 PM
BEAST, the new link is here http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php...ighlight=timing ('http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=382&highlight=timing')

After the change, the URL to the threads changed a little and is no longer at www.tgc-forums.com.

BEAST
11-21-2002, 03:11 PM
Whoops :roll:

BEAST
12-08-2002, 02:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(krazienluv10)</div><div class='quotemain'>okay i found the correct wires the iat was the white wire n ground was black, </div>

I took the resistor off of the red and black wires and put it on the white and black wires and a couple times when I hit WOT, I think between 2nd and 3rd, I redlined up to about 7,000 RPMs :shocked2:. I don't know what to think of that.

BEAST
12-08-2002, 09:38 PM
ok well it hasn't happened since then so I guess oh well.

krazienluv10
12-09-2002, 02:17 PM
hmmmm i dunno either did you clip the wires or just wraped the resistor around the white n black try not to cliip the wires its not good haha i accidently cliped mine and took me lyke a while to get rid of the sevice engine light...if its going to 7k then its up to you then i just took mine off kuz i didnt want to mess with it any more too much of a hassle also because i have automatic it was messing my tranny too because when i park its at 2500 to 3000 rpm den i put it in drive it goes to 1300 n my car be jerking badly when i shift... if you feel lyke takin it off then i guess take it off if it happens again, but my friend has it on his sentra and it works fine for him though...

BEAST
12-19-2002, 03:24 PM
Would this cause me to run rich at all? I ask this because it appears that there is this black liquid stuff that has come out of the tailpipe and gotten on my car. It almost is like oil though. I am pretty sure it is from my muffler though because most of it is right above the muffler and then it kinda is on the back and top of the trunk. There isn't really a whole lot of it but I was just wondering. This is the first time that it has happened. And I have had this mod on this way since Dec. 8th.

BEAST
12-24-2002, 12:30 AM
Anyone? I think that I may just take it off until the summer.

BEAST
12-28-2002, 01:00 AM
*bump*
sorry but I want to know if this could be the cause of the problem.

2True
12-28-2002, 06:39 AM
Well since you "bumped" it, this must be important to you. Honestly though... I don't think anyone here has done the chip resistor besides yourself and krazyienluv10, so there is no true tech support available to you. I will try though..

IMO that resister could vary well make you run rich, if it is indeed tricking your ECU into believing more air is being intaken then it will compensate by giving additional fuel. But in fact, there is NO additional air intake so you are running a mixture very rich in fuel. This fact is what turned me away from such a "mod" in the first place.. I don't want to trick my car into thinking anything, I want it to run correctly with proven modifications that I know how to work with.

Did this black stuff appear before or after you installed the resistor?

If before then I would recommend having your cylinders checked for oil leakage. You can do this by checking all four spark plugs and inspect them for oil, if there is some on there then you're screwed and you'll have to proceed to the next step of getting it fixed.

If after then I would remove the resistor immediatly. Run a few weeks or perhaps months to see if the problem persists. If it does.. see above. If it does not.. leave it out. A $3000 engine is not worth a $(whatever you paid) resistor, mod, customization or addition.

BTW, the redline on a US 7g is 6k no exceptions, if your tranny changed gears at 7K that is actually really BAD not good.

That's the best advise I can give as I have no actual experience with these resistor chips. :wink:

krazienluv10
12-28-2002, 07:30 PM
hmmmmmmm i dont know what that black stuff could be my car never had that in my tail pipe and my friend does not have it either. pretty much all the resistor does is run alot richier the black stuff im pretty sure that black stuff is oil because there is a leak in your cylinders like what 2True said. pretty much just listen to 2True

BEAST
12-29-2002, 01:11 AM
Generally when you are running rich one way to tell is by looking at the tailpipe. If it has a lot of black stuff on, in, around it then that is a pretty good implication you are running rich. I just fixed my intake so it is an actually ram air intake so I am getting a lot more air. With the weapon-r filter on the end there is a lip that is made for 4" ducting to go on. I just did the dryer hose mod and connected it to the front of the filter and the other end is in the front grill of the car so the air is really being rammed up there.